Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 10:22 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,273,849 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a house with a swimming pool. Personally I like the feature; I have no toddler kids and we are a family of divers so this is not a risk to me.

But I also intend to rent this house out. Will a swimming pool be a net asset or net liability in the rental situation?
If I intend to rent out a house, is swimming pool a bad idea?-capture.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 07:13 AM

5,914 posts, read 7,254,662 times
Get an umbrella (liability) policy. The pool is a liability, but it also adds value to the property.

RM

Old 06-11-2021, 07:28 AM

13,077 posts, read 20,758,395 times
It may add rental appeal value to a renter or buyer appeal value when selling, but when the place is being rented, your landlord insurance (don't make the mistake of thinking your regular homeowner's insurance will cover you when renting out the house) sees it as a liability. You may also want to check with your ALJ as in some places, when used as a rental, stricter pool safety/barrier regulations may come into play.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:35 AM

492 posts, read 634,593 times
As a rental whether the pool is an advantage or disadvantage depends on the area. If the pool is truly usable year round, like here in Florida, it’s a plus. If your busy season is when it is too cold to swim most families with small children would consider it a disadvantage.

Our house with a pool in Central Florida rents year round. The house with no pool has much more availability in the hot summer.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,076 posts, read 76,623,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
As a rental whether the pool is an advantage or disadvantage depends on the area. If the pool is truly usable year round, like here in Florida, it’s a plus. If your busy season is when it is too cold to swim most families with small children would consider it a disadvantage.

Our house with a pool in Central Florida rents year round. The house with no pool has much more availability in the hot summer.

Agreed.
Caveat: I suggest you hire a pool maintenance outfit for regular maintenance. Bake the Bucks into the Rent.

Don't leave it all up to the tenants, who may or may not be willing or competent to keep your pool value protected.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:25 PM

32,512 posts, read 47,530,478 times
It's a huge liability and very few tenants will put any effort into maintaining it correctly.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:52 PM

494 posts, read 496,566 times
I don't see a pool as a liability. Here in Phoenix, it's a huge benefit and improves a property's rentability. Although I require the tenant to be responsible for pool maintenance, it's probably a good idea to back the pool maintenance into the rent.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:15 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,573,237 times
We've rented a house in CA with a pool. The owner had a pool guy come weekly. No problems.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:09 AM

7,993 posts, read 10,343,364 times
I'd say it's a bad idea. I would absolutely pay for regular pool service, and roll that cost into the rent. A tenant is not going to maintain a pool like they should. Liability is an issue, so I agree with getting an umbrella insurance policy. Also, check out what youor insurance costs would be. Insuring a rental property with a pool may cost you a lot more than you think. When you add all of those costs together, it may not make financial sense.

You may also check to see if there are additional requirements in your area for fencing, etc.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:35 AM

23,805 posts, read 33,292,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Agreed.
Caveat: I suggest you hire a pool maintenance outfit for regular maintenance. Bake the Bucks into the Rent.

Don't leave it all up to the tenants, who may or may not be willing or competent to keep your pool value protected.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Same for the lawn, hire a company and figure it into the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate