Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 05:36 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,967,447 times

Advertisements

People own their HOA and can, as a community, make their will become fact by lobbying the board.

The HOA president cannot go against majority board vote so it will be necessary to talk to board members and see their feelings. If they are "no" on pool then you'll have to go further and go to owners one-by-one and have them sign a petition to "get the pool open."

Yes you can run for the board but my experience is that the board elects the president so you'll need a majority of board members vote you to president. Not necessary to actually be elected president if board members want the pool open, but it helps to have president on the "yes" side. Hope your board of directors has insurance on their actions, that's why people don't act normally, fear of personal responsibility.

These are difficult times but one person can get things done if they approach it the right way. Be pleasant, offer to help, become a friend not an enemy. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 05:46 PM

22,621 posts, read 36,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Or that there's more than ONE "elected official" to talk to?
There's no need to be caustic. State "I reached out to Jenny Jones to try and help out and she said she hadn't heard from you. Which elected official are you working with - Maybe I can help?"

I'm not sure what an elected official can do about parts that are on backorder though. I know inspections are backed up where I live in NC. People are complaining about their pools not opening but there's only so many inspections that can be done in one day.

If it's true that he really just doesn't want to open the pool you're going to have to press him. He's only the president, he can't unilaterally make decisions.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:14 PM

30,489 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Quote:
Or that there's more than ONE "elected official" to talk to?
Good point. Based on the OP, there is no concrete proof that the HOA president lied. Surely, there are more than one elected officials that have some level of "oversight" over the area. If there is a city/town, there are likely elected city/town officials in addition to the county legislature. And then you have state representatives. Now, if the HOA president did, in fact, speak to an elected rep, it could very well be the case that the HOA president is speaking to the wrong representatives. Or it's entirely plausible that the HOA president did contact the county legislature mentioned by the OP but that something was lost in translation. All in all, there is way too little to claim that the president lied.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:46 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 19 days ago)

34,497 posts, read 16,584,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There's no need to be caustic. State "I reached out to Jenny Jones to try and help out and she said she hadn't heard from you. Which elected official are you working with - Maybe I can help?"

I'm not sure what an elected official can do about parts that are on backorder though. I know inspections are backed up where I live in NC. People are complaining about their pools not opening but there's only so many inspections that can be done in one day.

If it's true that he really just doesn't want to open the pool you're going to have to press him. He's only the president, he can't unilaterally make decisions.
What an elected official can do is let the pool open and have the pump replacement done in October, after the season. Other people I have talked to says he really does not want things to open. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming to open the outdoor tennis courts and clubhouse, and still won't allow setup of outdoor furniture for clubhouse deck. Given what I know of his politics I am not surprised. He is a school teacher and really didn't want his city's public schools to reopen for in-person learning.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good point. Based on the OP, there is no concrete proof that the HOA president lied. Surely, there are more than one elected officials that have some level of "oversight" over the area. If there is a city/town, there are likely elected city/town officials in addition to the county legislature. And then you have state representatives. Now, if the HOA president did, in fact, speak to an elected rep, it could very well be the case that the HOA president is speaking to the wrong representatives. Or it's entirely plausible that the HOA president did contact the county legislature mentioned by the OP but that something was lost in translation. All in all, there is way too little to claim that the president lied.
He admitted the letter had been pre-written and he intended its release after he had made some calls. Another board member jumped the gun on releasing it, probably to embarrass him.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:53 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,998,964 times
not a real estate issue, it seems

Old 06-13-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
not a real estate issue, it seems
It is definitely a real estate management issue. And while I rather like swimming, and my wife liked the gym, I am concerned that the closure of amenities could lop a good amount of market value off.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:44 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,998,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is definitely a real estate management issue. And while I rather like swimming, and my wife liked the gym, I am concerned that the closure of amenities could lop a good amount of market value off.
I agree to an extent. I think that some businesses (and in this case, an HOA) aren't just being cautious, cut they're using the pandemic as a smokescreen for cutting costs and services. I think that's wrong.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:19 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Ask how you can help get the pool opened, and then do it.
That might be the best sentence I've read all year.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Ask how you can help get the pool opened, and then do it.
That might be the best sentence I've read all year.
That is the first thing I did, as always. As I said I actually like HOA management and have only turned slightly adversarial as it became obvious that a pool or any other reopening is not what management wanted. See below for what may be the motive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I agree to an extent. I think that some businesses (and in this case, an HOA) aren't just being cautious, cut they're using the pandemic as a smokescreen for cutting costs and services. I think that's wrong.
Another strong possibility is that running the pool is frankly a pain. People whine when a lifeguard shows up late or leaves early. People complain that others are playing their music too loud, that children are playing in the lap swim lanes, and numerous other issues. If they can get away without mediating day-camp level disputes it's a relief for them.

Running a pool-clubhouse-tennis complex with 250 resident families is like running a mini-country club, with a membership they can't control by expulsion. That is why I am somewhat sympathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate