Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times

Advertisements

This is a hot market over here and it’s really unusual to see a home in this condition and size not sell immediately. The one factor that distinguishes this home from the others that have sold is the fact it has a golf course behind it, as the listing indicates.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Lynden/106.../home/15786038

Curious as to your thoughts on having a golf course behind the home. It looks picturesque, but could be a nuisance with errant golf balls and early morning maintenance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 01:08 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
In my area, a home that backs up to a golf course usually sells at a higher premium price. Then again, as you already mentioned, there are some potential issues that might scare away some buyers. Personally, I don't care for golf but there should be enough potential buyers willing to pay for the privilege. I do think that some of the pictures of the golf course in the back of the house look photoshopped. There may be some issues that the listing doesn't clearly show in the photo gallery.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Ohh let's go with the fact the other houses are blue .
Maybe the blue houses don't like the tan one.

Seriously it could be , the golf course. It could be the cost of living. No one can surmise on pictures alone. It's like taking a picture of a fresh grilled hamburger. Might look good, but heaven knows what is seasoned in it.
I

Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
This is a hot market over here and it’s really unusual to see a home in this condition and size not sell immediately. The one factor that distinguishes this home from the others that have sold is the fact it has a golf course behind it, as the listing indicates.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Lynden/106.../home/15786038

Curious as to your thoughts on having a golf course behind the home. It looks picturesque, but could be a nuisance with errant golf balls and early morning maintenance..
I didn't look through the photos (just the cover page), but unless the golf course is in terrible condition, I doubt that it has any negative effect on the value of the property. Generally, a golf course lot adds to the value of a property, but there could be exceptions.

Also, I have no idea as to the reasonableness of that price for that house. In many places, that 2BR house would be considerably overpriced, but all markets are local.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:17 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Houses near gold courses often have bad well water due to all the fertilizer they put on the course seeping into the water.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:20 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
According to the link provided, the home is on municipal water and not well water.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:23 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
A home that lingers as a listing, is probably overpriced.

I once watched a home that was listed at $750,000. I knew the owner. This was around 2008. They wanted top dollar in a falling market. The home asking price was periodically dropped $25K but still remained overpriced. In the end the place finally sold 2 years later for $550,000.

In hind sight, if the place was initially priced at $675,000, it probably would have sold quickly. But the owner was slow to react to market changes.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:32 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Golf Course properties have people who want them, and people who don't. A little like pools in this area.

If someone is into golf or the social aspects of sitting on your back deck having golfers go by, they're a good thing. For others, they represent lack of privacy, lack of being able to build a fence, usually, broken windows and disruption.

Interestingly, this house HAS had a screen put up to protect the windows.

I don't see anything obviously photoshopped in the pictures (except maybe the TV in the master bedrooooooom ) but the post above is correct that sometimes you can't see (or smell, or hear) everything in the pictures.

This is in my MLS, so I can see that seller is asking for a short delayed occupancy of 5 days after close, but that shouldn't be an unsolvable dealbreaker for eager buyers. There are also relatively high HOA dues... $93 a month.

I see prices all over the board on that golf club, so obviously the home size and values differ widely there within that area and without looking a LOT closer I can't say whether the price is right or not.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:37 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
I am surprised that it hasn't sold, also, also as it is a perfect home for a retired empty nester couple. The asking price is close to midrange for Whatcom County.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Rather than the proximity of the golf course, I think a more likely reason is the garage placed at right angles to the front, creating a huge heat sink of needless concrete. Consequently, there is zero “curb appeal.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate