Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 07:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Do you think OP will be able to view those documents prior to putting in a contract?

In my neck of the woods, you would not receive those documents until 5 days before closing. Even then, you would only get the bylaws and CCRs, not the minutes.
Many condo listings in my MLS have the condo docs, rules/regs, FAQs attached. Meeting minutes and financials aren't usually handed over before a contract. A buyer of a used condo in Florida has three days right to cancel the contract after receiving the condo docs so agents here are quick to get those docs in a buyer's hands as soon as contract is executed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 08:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaMentality View Post
Hi! Been renting in the Washington D.C. (Arlington, VA) area for the past 17 years and decided it's finally time to get out there and buy (for the very first time). Am single and targeting a condo, though will also consider a townhouse. For someone who's never been through any of this process before and not knowledgeable at all about any of this, can folks recommend a few books to help me get more knowledgeable about the entire process? Have browsed around a bit and see several books that look interesting, though most of the top sellers appear to be from 10+ years ago, though I'd guess the information in those books are still largely relevant today. Have more than enough money to buy with very good/great credit and stable job - have always just liked where I lived renting so never felt a need to purchase... any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!!
I would say most of the "advice" is to be found online today... In fact, there are MANY threads about owning condos/townhouses right here on CD. I'm gradually coming around to thinking a condo is next for me, too. Although I've owned only a series of SFH so far, I now hate both exterior maintenance and yard work with the heat of a thousands suns!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:11 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,798,137 times
Quote:
Do you think OP will be able to view those documents prior to putting in a contract?

In my neck of the woods, you would not receive those documents until 5 days before closing. Even then, you would only get the bylaws and CCRs, not the minutes.
Our HOA has the CCRs, bylaws and recent budgets and financials online. Most local realtors have copies to share with clients. I would not sign a contract to purchase without reviewing them or I could make my review a contingency.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Many condo listings in my MLS have the condo docs, rules/regs, FAQs attached. Meeting minutes and financials aren't usually handed over before a contract. A buyer of a used condo in Florida has three days right to cancel the contract after receiving the condo docs so agents here are quick to get those docs in a buyer's hands as soon as contract is executed.
Knowing how to interpret them is another matter! Are realtors helpful with that? I wouldn't know what to look for within them or what it means, personally.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,460 times
I think most people who bought property the first time, never had to read any books on it. I sure didn't.

Find yourself a good, experienced realtor. That will be your best source of information. You will learn how things work, and even recent histories and trends in the neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Imagine learning the place does not allow or restricts pets and you have a pet.
That's a question I ask my realtor before I even give an online listing a second glance (along with whether or not it can be rented out, as I may want that option). It's beyond me why it's not included IN the listing, as the unit has usually gone under contract in this hot market before I ever get an answer from the listing realtor.

Another thing to consider is that condos are generally harder to resell than SFHs.

Last edited by otterhere; 06-20-2021 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-20-2021, 11:57 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MambaMentality View Post
Hi! Been renting in the Washington D.C. (Arlington, VA) area for the past 17 years and decided it's finally time to get out there and buy (for the very first time). Am single and targeting a condo, though will also consider a townhouse.

Have more than enough money to buy with very good/great credit and stable job - have always just liked where I lived renting so never felt a need to purchase... any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!!
When I lived in Alexandria, VA (near Arlington), the condo prices shocked me. It's not so much as the selling price (though high) but the monthly HOA fee were as much as $1,500+

Call me cheap but I just can't see paying that much for a HOA fee. I'd rather considering going further out to buy a single family home instead.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:27 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:

I will say that I got my documents about two weeks before closing on my current property, but I'm curious to know if you can request them sooner from the association via the real estate agent

Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Reader's Digest

"HOME IMPROVEMENTS MANUAL"

It's a do-it-yourself guide to all things home improvement.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:57 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
If you can buy a townhouse or single family house that is not a condo and not in an HOA, go for it. No fees other than property taxes and water/sewer bills and you will be the happiest homeowner ever.

As for books, go to your local library and ask where the shelf is for real estate books. Read as many of them as you can, regardless of their age. Verify everything that everyone tells you because there are a lot of liars in this business. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate