Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 09:07 AM

65 posts, read 40,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You really have to ask?
6 posts in, and you're using bait already?
If the answer is so obvious, please share your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Some communities don't allow fencing in the front yard.
Why do you think this is?
Is fencing considered not neighborly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It makes me think there are noisy, vicious dogs and frequent thefts. I generally avoid buying in those neighborhoods.
I did not think about the dogs angle. Great point!
How can a silly little fence prevent thefts? You can just hop over it or open the gate. It can't be about security

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
But apparently chainlink gets some people completely unhinged.
Why do people hate fences so much ?

Last edited by BoleaConstrictor; 06-27-2021 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 09:22 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
It's not permitted in many neighborhoods because people think chainlink looks ugly and industrial and detracts from the overall appearance. I can understand people wanting a fence around their front yard for various reasons, including small children, dogs, delicate plants, etc., but where I live, the only fencing allowed around a front yard is wrought iron, which is attractive but very expensive. Otherwise, people keep their small children and dogs in the back yards, which come ready fenced in with wooden fences.

The "certain part of town" thing comes in because the neighborhoods that ban chainlink tend to have HOAs, which pride themselves on appearances and maintaining value. Neighborhoods without HOAs allow more freedom to homeowners, including the freedom to put chainlink around the front yard, but they often don't look as nice and may have lower value. Just stating the obvious, and for the record I do live where there is an HOA.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:32 AM

65 posts, read 40,831 times
Ok, so you're saying metal fences are classified as a zoning violation due to aesthetics?
I had no idea.

I do not think it is about the type of fence, metal vs. wood.
One section of town has no fences at all. Neither wood or metal.
Yet another has 50% metal fences. Same types of houses and lawns otherwise.
I will go to the fence part of town and see if there are any wooden fences.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:50 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Some people use fences to keep dogs in their front yards. I get those who do it for safety.

But I also noticed even in middle class areas you will see more fences near schools. Never asked anybody why but I am guessing that some homeowners got tired of children or teens going across their lawns.
exact reason my nephew and his wife fenced up their front yard. Darn kids just cut across. Stepping on flowers etc.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:52 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Perhaps because in some parts of town they are socially acceptable and in other parts of tow, less so.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:54 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
........Why do people hate fences so much ?

My guess is because they feel that whatever is yours is theirs to do with as they wish and it ticks them off that you think you can fence them off of property that they should be able to control.

If they can see it, they get to control it.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:34 AM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I live on an unusual street. It was developed in the 50s with only sidewalks in the front. We drive and park down the back lanes. There are about 35 houses on our deadend street that ends at a river.

Last summer one homeowner put in a front yard chainlink fence. The first one on the street. The homeowner across the way had a total tantrum about it, harrassing the family and trying to drum up neighbourhood outrage. Police were called. He still has a bunch of big signs in his front yard with writing going on about how "God hates ugly" and whatnot. So weird. His signs are way uglier than a black chainlink fence.

The homeowner put up the fence because they have a dog and a small child and also put in veggie gardens and berry bushes and want to protect them from the deer we get in our yards. I have zero issues with it myself. Their yard, their business, and because the chainlink is black it's hardly noticeable. But apparently chainlink gets some people completely unhinged.
Quote:
Why do people hate fences so much ?

Well maybe they had bad experiences with fences.

Perhaps they were caged up behind fences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBn5aIfZElE

Old 06-27-2021, 01:49 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Ok, so you're saying metal fences are classified as a zoning violation due to aesthetics?
I had no idea.

I do not think it is about the type of fence, metal vs. wood.
One section of town has no fences at all. Neither wood or metal.
Yet another has 50% metal fences. Same types of houses and lawns otherwise.
I will go to the fence part of town and see if there are any wooden fences.
It depends on the area, and where I live, it IS about the type of fence. In suburban Southern California, everyone has a fence around their back/side yard. (I was in my 20s before I realized that in some areas, people in ordinary suburban tracts often don't have backyard fences, the yards are just open to the neighbors, and it blew my mind).

In my city, wood and cement block fences are acceptable for back and side yards. Neither of those is allowed in the front. No chain link is allowable anywhere. In general, front yards are not fenced at all, but if they are, it is wrought iron.

In older and (frankly) more run-down and less pricey areas, chain link is common. It is widely viewed as non-aesthetic in a suburban setting; yes, that is a fact.

This is an old article but I think the points made are all still valid.
https://sacramentoappraisalblog.com/...roperty-value/

Quote:
Automatically what comes to mind when you mention a front yard chain link fence is a home in an undesirable neighborhood, there is just something about chain link that screams it’s needed to be there to protect a home, not to mention it’s a huge eye sore in my opinion. I think of older neighborhoods that are run-down, I think of areas with higher crime rates…

Old 06-27-2021, 01:50 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Property sizes are the same. Some parts of town, there are zero chain link fences in any front yards.
Other parts of town, half of homes have enclosed chain link fences.
What is the pattern here?
Obviously not a serious post. Why even ask this?

Old 06-27-2021, 02:48 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Then of course it could also be due to less nefarious things. One homeowner decided to install a chain link fence for his own reasons (didn't want to mess with ongoing maintenance of a board fence, wanted to maintain some view of the sidewalk or street, happened to like chain link and hated corny white pickets, happened to work for a chain link fence company and got a deal). A neighbor decided they liked the first's chain link, got a referral to that fencing company and did the same. Maybe a bunch of people banded together and got a bulk rate. The effect ended up spreading through the neighborhood like dandelions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate