Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here there are no front fences at all, but we have very little crime, mostly mail theft. Some neighborhoods are subject to frequent property crime so fences are a security measure. When one owner puts up a fence, many others follow, because they don't want to be the easy pickings house. My grandparents lived in an area with high crime in another state and finally moved in the 1980s, since then I noticed that nearly every house has put in iron fences. For me, secure, gated front yard fencing is a sign that I don't want to live there.
This is my grandparents' old neighborhood:
Unless it is a $20 million dollar home in an exclusive area of course, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 03:16 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here there are no front fences at all, but we have very little crime, mostly mail theft. Some neighborhoods are subject to frequent property crime so fences are a security measure. When one owner puts up a fence, many others follow, because they don't want to be the easy pickings house. My grandparents lived in an area with high crime in another state and finally moved in the 1980s, since then I noticed that nearly every house has put in iron fences. For me, secure, gated front yard fencing is a sign that I don't want to live there.
This is my grandparents' old neighborhood:
Maybe just me, but I find that look repellent. Plain chainlink just looks a little bit sloppy; an expensive fence on a small property like that gives a stronger impression that the residents are fearful and barricading themselves.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Maybe just me, but I find that look repellent. Plain chainlink just looks a little bit sloppy; an expensive fence on a small property like that gives a stronger impression that the residents are fearful and barricading themselves.
I agree, and in that neighborhood it's not just the 2-3 houses in the picture, it's almost all of them for several blocks in all directions. The iron is a bit more decorative than cyclone, but also seems more like prison bars.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:23 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
I live in a working class neighborhood that's gentrifying. I bought my house for mega-cheap. The older people here tend to have chain link, and I inherited mine with the house. It'll be replaced when I get around to it. There's been and still are more pressing projects, such as an expensive sewer mainline repair I recently had to take care of. My electricity is 10 amp, etc., etc.

The fence looks unbearably fugly. A contractor I used back into one of the gates with his trailer, so it's damaged in addition to being crude chain link.

Back in NY, where I came from, this would not be acceptable. I'm amazed at how my snobbishness has been compromised by exhaustion and necessity.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,157 times
Chain link fencing is present in areas where crime is high.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:33 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
I prefer chain link to those hideous white plastic things popping up everywhere.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:03 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
That's an untrue, broad brush statement. It's just more typical for older, non-HOA neighborhoods to have chain link fences. As I said previously, some of the homes in my neighborhood have them, and most of those homes are from the 50's or even the 40's. One belongs to a 90 year old widow. it's useful when her daughter and SIL visit with their large dogs. A young couple two houses up the street has one as well, and they have a Boston terrier. All of the homes and yards on my street and surrounding streets are extremely well-kept; it was one of the deciding factors toward my purchase of my own home. There is no crime in the neighborhood, to the extent that I never lock my back door even when I go out shopping or run other errands. I also forget to lock my car most of the time and have never had a problem in three years.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
There are two things here -

1) chain link fencing - good or bad?
2) chain link fencing in front yard.

Actually, chain link fencing, just as fencing, is probably the finest fencing material there is. I don't know how old my chain link fence (back yard only) is, but it was old when we bought this house in 1973. I'd guess it's at least 60 years old and it's still tight and good - it's only now beginning to show the first signs of rust as the galvanizing is finally getting thin.

On the other hand, for ordinary houses lined up down a street, front yard chain link fencing DOES give a poor appearance in most cases.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:02 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When was that? 1980?

Cement is not pennies,. A bag of cement, one full bag required per post, is a couple of dollars. A quick google shows a 60 pound bag of cement is closer to $4.00. The fence installers do not work cheap. They want to be paid for their hard work.
What are you using for posts on a chainlink fence that requires a full 60lb bag, 4x4’s? A 90lb bag is $4 and you should easily 2+ posts per bag for a metal post. Assuming you space each post 8’ that’s less than .50c a foot, and that number goes down the more you do. Ok, maybe saying cement is pennies was a bit of an exaggeration, but it’s really not far off? I did about 250ft of fencing and my cement bill was under $100.

Putting up a fence is pretty straight forward, and I really wouldn’t consider it hard work unless you’re doing it in lousy weather. $20 a linear foot on top of materials is just insane. I’ll put up a 50’ all day long for $1,000.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:09 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
The irony is unless there’s barbed/razor wire on top even the most out shape person can climb over them solo. A wood fence you’ll need assistance from someone (or something), and/or some decent upper body strength to get over them.

I think the reason you see them in high crime areas isn’t so much to prevent crime, but more so because of the cost factor to keep the kids and dog fenced in? And maybe to deter some criminals from easily swiping something from your yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate