Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:51 PM

53 posts, read 59,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I stand corrected on that point. You did post last at 9:21 yesterday evening, but it just seemed longer to me. My apology.

And thanks for answering the EMD question.
It's all good, and I get it, there are plenty of trolls out there.

Like I said, if this transaction goes as we hope, I'll be over the moon. This can be a long term home for my family, and its affordable (monthly). But yeah.. I have vegas style nerves rolling some dice in a game where I have no control... lots of people do.

As for my acceptance in terms of loss.... I imagine it would need to be over 10k. Obviously it wouldn't be less than 6, and I have reserves to cover more. It's more of just seeing where it winds up. I really do need to focus on not stressing things out of my control; and just take it as it comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 07:29 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
It's all good, and I get it, there are plenty of trolls out there.

Like I said, if this transaction goes as we hope, I'll be over the moon. This can be a long term home for my family, and its affordable (monthly). But yeah.. I have vegas style nerves rolling some dice in a game where I have no control... lots of people do.

As for my acceptance in terms of loss.... I imagine it would need to be over 10k. Obviously it wouldn't be less than 6, and I have reserves to cover more. It's more of just seeing where it winds up. I really do need to focus on not stressing things out of my control; and just take it as it comes.
Now, yer talkin'

Only worry about stuff you CAN control.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:06 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
I stand corrected on that point. You did post last at 9:21 yesterday evening, but it just seemed longer to me. My apology.

And thanks for answering the EMD question.
Does that mean that you're now going to answer the EMD question that I posed to you (twice)?

Are you still standing by your previous statement that she should walk away from the house if there is ANY gap between the appraisal and the sales price? IOW, if the appraisal comes in $3k-$5k lower, would you really recommend that she forfeit her $5,800 EMD instead?

Quote:
No need to kill anyone. I'll give you a straight answer/opinion. YES, you should walk away if there is ANY gap between the appraisal and what your contract amount is. I believe that you have been caught up in the buying frenzy and this has interfered with your ability to see the big picture. It's better to experience the temporary disappointment of not getting a house today than it is to experience the long term regret/remorse of paying way too much for a house and having to live with that situation for the next 10+ years.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:27 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Does that mean that you're now going to answer the EMD question that I posed to you (twice)?

Are you still standing by your previous statement that she should walk away from the house if there is ANY gap between the appraisal and the sales price? IOW, if the appraisal comes in $3k-$5k lower, would you really recommend that she forfeit her $5,800 EMD instead?
Yes, I think it would be wise to walk away in that case, but based on what she has said, I seriously doubt that she will do it. Based on my limited looking online at properties in that area, I believe that she has agreed to overpay for the house.

The best example of that is the house across the street that sold just 6 months ago for $89,000 LESS after being on the market for 8 months! Further, that house is about 20% to 25% larger than the house she has under contract. So, she is paying 45% higher price for a house that's 20% to 25% smaller. As I recall, both houses were built in 1959 and the other one may have a larger lot (not certain about the lot part). Both looked about equal in updating as far as I could tell.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:42 PM

Quick correction, he, not she...

There was more to the pos, but it got cut off..
Anyway, aside from being 7 months old, there has to be significant issues with that neighboring home... for one, it took 5 months to close, after sitting for 4 months. As it was, it still sold below what others were seeking for at the time. Beyond that, while slightly more living space, my purchase had move overall space with the covered porch, garage, and utilities room.

As it is, having looked at just over 70 homes in this whole process, I have seen a wide range of homes here. Going in, I never felt like I was overpaying.. this is the going rate for buyers wanting a home this size, especially in no flood zone this close to the beach. It really feels like a long term home, which is important.

But sure, I will sweat when I make a bet decided on the whim of someone else. I already hold a low opinion of appraisers and the voodoo they do; so you bet I worry when their decision can cost me thousands..

Last edited by Divine_Madcat; 06-29-2021 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 03:34 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
I would say you are wrong, but I doubt you will listen. We did the inspection today, and I love the property; I will be over the moon if it appraises and closes without a hitch..

But yes, I do worry about having to beg, borrow, and steal more than a couple thousand if it falls short, because that chews up all my cash reserves.
A serious question: are you absolutely positive you are in the best financial position to own a home? Are you prepared to deal with expensive emergency repairs?

Old 06-30-2021, 07:19 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Anyway, aside from being 7 months old, there has to be significant issues with that neighboring home... for one, it took 5 months to close, after sitting for 4 months. As it was, it still sold below what others were asking
Are DOM or how long it took to close considered by the appraiser - will he/she actually decrease an appraisal for those issues?

Old 06-30-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are DOM or how long it took to close considered by the appraiser - will he/she actually decrease an appraisal for those issues?
As a layman... yes. The house went pending a year ago; that's a huge time in this market, and bares absolutely no resemblance to price or availability now.

To a person making the decision.. I have no idea. I would like to think it did, but I really don't know how the voodoo works. With some luck, they won't even look at it at all, and the worry about it is moot.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:44 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times
Quote:
Quick correction, he, not she...

There was more to the pos, but it got cut off..
Anyway, aside from being 7 months old, there has to be significant issues with that neighboring home... for one, it took 5 months to close, after sitting for 4 months. As it was, it still sold below what others were seeking for at the time. Beyond that, while slightly more living space, my purchase had move overall space with the covered porch, garage, and utilities room.

As it is, having looked at just over 70 homes in this whole process, I have seen a wide range of homes here. Going in, I never felt like I was overpaying.. this is the going rate for buyers wanting a home this size, especially in no flood zone this close to the beach. It really feels like a long term home, which is important.

But sure, I will sweat when I make a bet decided on the whim of someone else. I already hold a low opinion of appraisers and the voodoo they do; so you bet I worry when their decision can cost me thousands..

So the only reason why a decision can cost you thousands is because the appraiser won't appraise at contract price? Not, that maybe, you overpaid?

Therefore, you're ok with overpaying as long as it appraises and you can roll it into the loan?

Do you think maybe you're not prioritizing right things here? Shouldn't you care if you overpaid whether or not it appraises? It's going to cost you the same. The only thing different would be cash out of pocket.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:24 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Quote:
Yes, I think it would be wise to walk away in that case, but based on what she has said, I seriously doubt that she will do it. Based on my limited looking online at properties in that area, I believe that she has agreed to overpay for the house.
From a financial standpoint, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate