Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:52 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
From a financial standpoint, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
That's your opinion. I happen to have a different opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 08:06 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That's your opinion. I happen to have a different opinion.
LOL

That's akin to me saying that 2+2 = 4 and you saying no, 2+2 = 5, and then claiming that it is just a difference of opinion.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL

That's akin to me saying that 2+2 = 4 and you saying no, 2+2 = 5, and then claiming that it is just a difference of opinion.
No, that's not it at all. The issue you raised earlier is simply your opinion, not a fact. You don't seem to be able to differentiate opinion from fact. You have one opinion. I have a different opinion. Just because you believe your opinion is correct doesn't make it a FACT.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
No much to say really..mentioned in another thread, I managed to land a home, but it's my first time waiving my appraisal contingency. To say I am nervous would be understatement; back in Oct I lost a house because it under appraised by 26k (it was shady with the sqf and the appraiser nailed it hard for that). But I am still gunshy, and seeing people missing the mark still has me worried.

From what I can see, I think I will be OK. We got it at asking (no crazy xK over to win), and the comps seem to line up.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...7256693_zpid/?

My agent pulled comps initially for 2bd, as rhe felt the thrid might be considered too small. Based on that, we were ok.

But I am worried as the home across the street sold 6 months ago for 89k less (after being on the market for 8 months ..*https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47256698_zpid/)

Doing my own digging (as I am going to ask her for new comps tomorrow), I found these as comps, but that assumes I am doing it right..
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...47266604_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47256215_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47255420_zpid/

I don't understand why you can't use homes ina different city, even though the city is .1 miles away (as it would provide another comp or two), but it is what it is...

I'm trying not to over think it, but am hoping to hear some honest feedback from neutral parties. I really like this place, but I don't have much to cover a gap.. not to mention this is the first offer I have landed since Nov.. the market is beyond insane here; I don't want to lose this opportunity either, as it's just right for my family down the line.
Any updates on the appraisal or anything?

Old 07-13-2021, 01:08 PM

53 posts, read 59,110 times
Quote:
Any updates on the appraisal or anything?
We actually just got the report, sure enough, the home magically hit the mark at 290! So, last major hurdle down.. just gotta finish underwriting and we are set!

Old 07-13-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
We actually just got the report, sure enough, the home magically hit the mark at 290! So, last major hurdle down.. just gotta finish underwriting and we are set!
Good for you. Hope all goes well the rest of the way. Congrats.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Congratulations and thanks for coming back to let us know!

Enjoy your new home.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:12 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
[/b]

So the only reason why a decision can cost you thousands is because the appraiser won't appraise at contract price? Not, that maybe, you overpaid?

Therefore, you're ok with overpaying as long as it appraises and you can roll it into the loan?

Do you think maybe you're not prioritizing right things here? Shouldn't you care if you overpaid whether or not it appraises? It's going to cost you the same. The only thing different would be cash out of pocket.
Just because one appraiser says a house is worth $X that is not the end all and be all. It's just one person's opinion about the value of the home.

As a part of the appraisal process, the appraiser does get a copy of the contract. So, it's not a "blind" process. If i called 10 different appraisers and didn't hand any of them the contract, I'd probably get 10 fairly different reports/values back.

Quote:
No, that's not it at all. The issue you raised earlier is simply your opinion, not a fact. You don't seem to be able to differentiate opinion from fact. You have one opinion. I have a different opinion. Just because you believe your opinion is correct doesn't make it a FACT.
You're 100% right. If someone says "would you rather flush $3,000 or $6,000 down the toilet" and you say "I would rather flush $6,000 down the toilet" that is absolutely your opinion. This being said, some opinions are not backed by logic.

Quote:
Congrats!

Old 07-14-2021, 08:09 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Just because one appraiser says a house is worth $X that is not the end all and be all. It's just one person's opinion about the value of the home.
Just wanted to add a few more thoughts to this post . . .

Once the sale closes it becomes a comp for future listings/sales and therefore influences the market value. If we think back to our 101 level business classes back in college we'll remember an item or service's market value is simply what most people are willing to pay for it. If there are multiple offers on a property and your offer is the best one then by definition you're paying above market value (unless all the offers are for the same amount and what wins the house are the terms of the offer). The question really becomes . . . how much higher? There is a bit of a herd mentality when it comes to real estate and once a sale closes and becomes a comp most people will take that as gospel and adjust expectations for market values accordingly.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Just wanted to add a few more thoughts to this post . . .

Once the sale closes it becomes a comp for future listings/sales and therefore influences the market value. If we think back to our 101 level business classes back in college we'll remember an item or service's market value is simply what most people are willing to pay for it. If there are multiple offers on a property and your offer is the best one then by definition you're paying above market value (unless all the offers are for the same amount and what wins the house are the terms of the offer). The question really becomes . . . how much higher? There is a bit of a herd mentality when it comes to real estate and once a sale closes and becomes a comp most people will take that as gospel and adjust expectations for market values accordingly.
And this shows how appraisals often lack objectivity and are HIGHLY influenced by the latest craze. As you said in your previous post "If i called 10 different appraisers and didn't hand any of them the contract, I'd probably get 10 fairly different reports/values back." Very, very true.

Yet people will take a closed sale as gospel value as if Moses had written it in stone, when in reality it often represents when two uninformed people meet... the first asking way more than the house is worth and the second agreeing to pay the asking price or more.

Appraisals are supposed to be a voice of reason which helps to moderate crazes and unwise purchase decisions, yet in reality they are just as subject to influence from the latest crazes and trends as are the typical 8th graders in choosing what to wear or how to style their hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate