Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let the legal landowner Native American share the property with you for free?
Of course! I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion! 3 100.00%
I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion! 0 0%
I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion! 0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 02:00 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00crashtest View Post
Sorry, the poll isn't displaying the text properly. It should be:
A. Of course! I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion!
B. Yes, I'll be nice and friendly to him but won't give any gifts.
C. Yes, if they pay 10-25% cost of the property.
D. Yes, if they pay half the cost of the property.
E. No, I am very selfish, so I'll just blame the government.

E. No, I am very selfish, so I'll just blame the government.

Descendants of the original Native American landowners have no legal standing. Here in New York the Dutch and English took their land prior to 1776, so take it up with them. TFB.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:18 PM

102 posts, read 40,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You're getting deep into Fantasyland when you start conjecturing about property being passed down on a geological timescale. Tell me, has any single regime on this planet lasted tens of millennia? Not going to happen, so it's not worth even thinking about.
Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. As we have insufficient knowledge, a scientific analysis is needed. It was once impossible to keep a car for 200,000 miles not so long ago, but people routinely do it nowadays.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
As far as I know, no land has ever been deeded to American Indians by the federal government. Existing reservation lands are owned by the federal government in trust for the tribes. Lands not on the original trust land, as defined by treaty and/or statute, can be bought and sold by Indians or the tribe, just like any other person could buy or sell the land. Land included in the federal trust is controlled by the tribes and each tribe determines how that land is to be managed.

You have constructed a scenario that does not exist.
I see. I don't know too much history.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
They (Indigenous North-Americans) are a proud people, but they would do-well to remember that they are (also) a CONQUERED People.

I have lived & worked alongside quite a few of them (here in Wyoming & Montana) and given the need, I would not hesitate to fight for thier rights & equality among'st literally any & every other 'tribe' of the Earth...

...but if one walked up to me and 'demanded' that I just GIVE (or surrender ?) my land to him...

...I am sorry, but that I CANNOT do.

If I am paying my taxes, and mortgage for the land I am calling 'home'...He can take it up with whoever my money is being paid-to...and if a summons (to appear in court) appears in my mail to 'argue' the point...

...well then...one should hope he has a better attorney than me.
But the question asssumed, as stated in the description, that you need not surrender your land and that you'll only cohabitate with each other. Also, it's stated that both of you inherited the land, so there's no mortgage as it has been gone many decades to a couple centuries ago, and that each of you will pay the fair share of taxes and maintenance.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
The deed would no longer be valid because of (among other matters) "adverse possession": if you live on land and claim ownership, and it isn't disputed for a period, then it's yours. Nobody would have bought the property in the meantime if the original deed were still a valid public record.

If I were approached by the original owner, then I'd file a claim with the title insurer who covered the most recent sale and offer whatever payment I got from the title insurer to the Native American. Or I'd keep that payment and give the land away.
Would you be willing to take neither and just let him and his descendants cohabitate with you and your descendants permanently, assuming both of you plan to pass on your shared property and assuming both of you are nice and get along together, though?

Old 07-05-2021, 07:22 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, what would you call them, then? They're certain not from India or "the Indies."
Basically that's what they have been called for generations without any notable ill effects. The term "Jews" comes from being descended from members of the tribe of Judah. Are the Levites offended?

Old 07-05-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
If not, then what happened to those original deeds?
Back in 1981, during my summer internship for real estate law, I vaguely learned how it worked. Basically there was the original royal charters. States and counties took over from there. I don't remember from 40 years ago exactly how it worked. Also, I learned for Connecticut, nowhere else.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12-stringer View Post
And plus the scenario is contrived and unlikely to ever arise. That's why we have title searches. If the OP's point is that back when the U.S. was forming Native Americans got screwed, then yeah, they did. Does the OP have an idea what he'd or she'd like to do about it?
I'm sure he has equally good ideas about "climate change."

Old 07-06-2021, 04:53 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
But the question asssumed, as stated in the description, that you need not surrender your land and that you'll only cohabitate with each other. Also, it's stated that both of you inherited the land, so there's no mortgage as it has been gone many decades to a couple centuries ago, and that each of you will pay the fair share of taxes and maintenance.
Not willing. Since I don’t recognize any rights to my land from injustice to people that have been dead and non-existent for centuries, I am not willing to relinquish my present day land rights to any random descendant that cares to make a claim. For similar reasons, I will pay no “reparations” for slavery. You don’t get to victimize people living today for the injustices of ancient times.

And people living today need to stop obsessing on ancient wrongs that never happened to them and don’t apply to them. You are alive today. Live your life on your own two feet, make yourself valuable and likable, and stop trying to collect things from people. You are not owed one thin dime because your great great grandfather was treated poorly.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:59 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm sure he has equally good ideas about "climate change."
There's no indication that the OP is a science denier. He just lacks a bit in the history department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate