Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let the legal landowner Native American share the property with you for free?
Of course! I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion! 3 100.00%
I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion! 0 0%
I'll sometimes give gifts to him to show compassion! 0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 08:00 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
There's no indication that the OP is a science denier. He just lacks a bit in the history department.
My point is that identifying problems is quite easy. Identifying solutions that don't create worse problems is what's hard.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:56 PM

102 posts, read 40,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Not willing. Since I don’t recognize any rights to my land from injustice to people that have been dead and non-existent for centuries, I am not willing to relinquish my present day land rights to any random descendant that cares to make a claim. For similar reasons, I will pay no “reparations” for slavery. You don’t get to victimize people living today for the injustices of ancient times.

And people living today need to stop obsessing on ancient wrongs that never happened to them and don’t apply to them. You are alive today. Live your life on your own two feet, make yourself valuable and likable, and stop trying to collect things from people. You are not owed one thin dime because your great great grandfather was treated poorly.
Wrong! But you've inherited a lot of wealth from your ancestors through the very piece of land that was robbed from the lineage of the Native American who is asking to live there again, as a condition of this hypothetical scenario. So you were given an unfair advantage from it. If you didn't inherit anything, THEN it'd be fair game. You're being so elitist and are perpetuating the injustice through inheritance. Quit rationalizing your inheritance right when your own argument of fairness goes against it!

Old 07-06-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
There's no indication that the OP is a science denier. He just lacks a bit in the history department.
Correct!

Old 07-06-2021, 04:01 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00crashtest View Post
Wrong! But you've inherited a lot of wealth from your ancestors through the very piece of land that was robbed from the Native American, as a condition of this hypothetical scenario. So you were given an unfair advantage from it. If you didn't inherit anything, THEN it'd be fair game. You're being so elitist and are perpetuating the injustice through inheritance. Quit rationalizing your inheritance right when your own argument of fairness goes against it!
But did the Native Americans do anything with the land?

Old 07-06-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But did the Native Americans do anything with the land?
It doesn't matter if they do anything to the land. They have a valid deed in this hypothetical situation, so they have the right to live there. Indeed, they did inhabit and maintain the land just like the current white occupants, also deeded, before they were taken over as the question assumes.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Will the native Americans then give the land to the people their ancestors took it from?

The native Americans who sold our property to the Americans, were not the original inhabitors. They pushed the predecessors out, and those people took it from others. When the native Americans who were here sold this area to American, then the went and push the people they had pushed out of here out of Wisconsin.

You cannot go back to the first people to find these lands empty because they were extinguished by the next people. So who has the rights? The earliest surviving takers of the land? The most recent takers of the land? Kinda hard to find any place that was not taken from someone else before it was taken by the next people and then the next. How far do you want to go back?

Old 07-06-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don’t recognize claims from antiquity. Indians regularly stole each others land, and taking land by force was the way of the world in ancient times. It’s too bad but that’s just the way it was for everyone alive at that time. We are far removed from that time. In today’s world land is exchanged by voluntary trade with compensation. If the person would like to buy my land, I’d listen to his offer and decide. But I owe him nothing. There is no debt, financial, moral, or otherwise.

Also, as an aside, he should earn his own way in today’s world and not try to cash in on his ancestor’s hard work.

Also, I am not fond of the term “native” american, because it is meaningless. I am a “native” american. It also implies others are non-native or something less. I reject that. There are no native americans. Or indigenous people. We are all Africans and everyone being anywhere else is a result of invasion and squatting.

People need to look at the time in which they live and not waste so much time looking back. We don’t get to exist for all that long and spending that time trying to find people to collect from is a fool’s errand.
Guess what? Everyone who inherits assets is cashing in on their ancestor's hard work. So unless you haven't inherited anything from your parents, you should shut up and get off your moral high horse because it goes against your own reasoning in your own argument here. If you indeed haven't inherited real estate, stocks, or currency from your parents, then you are welcome to continue talking here.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Will the native Americans then give the land to the people their ancestors took it from?

The native Americans who sold our property to the Americans, were not the original inhabitors. They pushed the predecessors out, and those people took it from others. When the native Americans who were here sold this area to American, then the went and push the people they had pushed out of here out of Wisconsin.

You cannot go back to the first people to find these lands empty because they were extinguished by the next people. So who has the rights? The earliest surviving takers of the land? The most recent takers of the land? Kinda hard to find any place that was not taken from someone else before it was taken by the next people and then the next. How far do you want to go back?
You're going off topic here. This question is a scientific-like study which asks for thoughts and opinions regarding only the scenario which is given, and is not necessarily based off of real-world situations. The question assumes the land that was originally deeded by the US Government to the Native Americans, in which the still-existent government later ignored their own promises of the original deed, and this question ignores all other claims, because a previous government who has fallen is not capable of taking any responsibility, just like a dead person or a company that went out of business.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00crashtest View Post
Guess what? Everyone who inherits assets is cashing in on their ancestor's hard work. So unless you haven't inherited anything from your parents, you should shut up and get off your moral high horse because it goes against your own reasoning in your own argument here. If you indeed haven't inherited real estate, stocks, or currency from your parents, then you are welcome to continue talking here.
You are conflating two different things. Inheriting assets from your direct lineal descendants who had an immediate effect in creating and raising you is legitimate.

Creating a fake, phony claim based on the abuses of 300 years ago and making demands for restitution or a land grab in order to take what you cannot earn is something else entirely.

I reject all claims from those citing ancient historical wrongs in order to score free stuff. If you are an Indian born in 2021 in todays’s society, you operate under today’s rules and morality. That means if you want some nice green dollars and some nice green landscape, you get your butt out in the world and make yourself valuable and likable. And TRADE value for value. Whiny demands based on the wrongs of 1600 are null and void and will not be fulfilled now or ever. Nor should they be.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You are conflating two different things. Inheriting assets from your direct lineal descendants who had an immediate effect in creating and raising you is legitimate.

Creating a fake, phony claim based on the abuses of 300 years ago and making demands for restitution or a land grab in order to take what you cannot earn is something else entirely.

I reject all claims from those citing ancient historical wrongs in order to score free stuff. If you are an Indian born in 2021 in todays’s society, you operate under today’s rules and morality. That means if you want some nice green dollars and some nice green landscape, you get your butt out in the world and make yourself valuable and likable. And TRADE value for value. Whiny demands based on the wrongs of 1600 are null and void and will not be fulfilled now or ever. Nor should they be.
A condition of the scenario given is that the claim isn't fake and phony and the Native Americans did have the original deed fron the same US government (since 1776, not 1600 tribal governments as you accuse) as today, who just ignored the claims. I'n not saying this scenario actually happened in real life. This is just a what-if hypothetical question if it had happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate