Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 5,167 times

Advertisements

Back in May I found a property that I like, and found a realtor randomly on the internet. I'm not from this area originally, so I didn't know anyone.

A real hippie met me at the property. She talked about the property in terms of "vibes" and her unsolicited advice to me was that I buy the property and use it for "legal grow". I had a lot of red flags about her but not necessarily the property.

I ended up making a full price offer on the property, but scheduling inspections with her turned out to be a nightmare. I finally found an inspector who went over the property and found a few issues (she didn't even come to the inspection). The issues were notable but not necessarily deal-breakers. There was a problem with the breaker box (double-tapping) and evidence of rot on one of the door frames. Also, the house's only source of heating did not appear in working order. Obviously, I wanted the issues addressed (either fixed by the seller or a reduction in price). My hippie realtor seemed utterly befuddled by all of this. She kept asking me questions like "And how would you like me to word this?" To which I replied, "I don't know, you're the realtor. You act like you've never done this before." Long story short, I ended up cancelling the contract.

Six weeks later and with a new realtor, every other property I have seen has been a poor fit--mostly because they're too far away. The next best option would have me driving over 60 miles a day, which I would rather not do. Meanwhile, the property I originally liked is still on the market, and I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake. I should have kept the contract and asked the managing broker to get me a new realtor. But I'm also starting to feel like that's water on the bridge.

I know if I was selling a house and an offer came through from a buyer who had previously cancelled (at a lower price no less) I'd be like "forget that guy". It would raise all sorts of red flags to me. Is this something I can even do? Can I put in a new offer on a property where I previously cancelled the contract?

Note: I live in a rural area where there is not a glut of properties for sale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 10:57 AM

481 posts, read 883,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlugenka View Post
Back in May I found a property that I like, and found a realtor randomly on the internet. I'm not from this area originally, so I didn't know anyone.

A real hippie met me at the property. She talked about the property in terms of "vibes" and her unsolicited advice to me was that I buy the property and use it for "legal grow". I had a lot of red flags about her but not necessarily the property.

I ended up making a full price offer on the property, but scheduling inspections with her turned out to be a nightmare. I finally found an inspector who went over the property and found a few issues (she didn't even come to the inspection). The issues were notable but not necessarily deal-breakers. There was a problem with the breaker box (double-tapping) and evidence of rot on one of the door frames. Also, the house's only source of heating did not appear in working order. Obviously, I wanted the issues addressed (either fixed by the seller or a reduction in price). My hippie realtor seemed utterly befuddled by all of this. She kept asking me questions like "And how would you like me to word this?" To which I replied, "I don't know, you're the realtor. You act like you've never done this before." Long story short, I ended up cancelling the contract.

Six weeks later and with a new realtor, every other property I have seen has been a poor fit--mostly because they're too far away. The next best option would have me driving over 60 miles a day, which I would rather not do. Meanwhile, the property I originally liked is still on the market, and I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake. I should have kept the contract and asked the managing broker to get me a new realtor. But I'm also starting to feel like that's water on the bridge.

I know if I was selling a house and an offer came through from a buyer who had previously cancelled (at a lower price no less) I'd be like "forget that guy". It would raise all sorts of red flags to me. Is this something I can even do? Can I put in a new offer on a property where I previously cancelled the contract?

Call the broker of the agency directly and explain your situation and your reason for backing out. Let him/her know you will work with them only and not the "hippie". They're not going to want to lose a deal over a poorly performing agent.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:05 AM

14,447 posts, read 12,025,254 times
Definitely have your new agent contact that original listing agent and approach the idea. If they're still on the market, they may well be very open to you making a new offer.

It definitely won't hurt to try. Give them another offer to think about.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:06 AM

15,554 posts, read 40,360,133 times
They would probably be open if you waive the inspection contingency and the situation is explained to them regarding the other agent. Chances are the listing agent knows the other agent and may have a similar opinion of their skills.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:16 AM

857 posts, read 435,678 times
If you want the property and the price is fair it’s utterly against your best interest to nitpick over such petty inspection items. The only items that a seller should be required to fix would be those that would hinder your ability to obtain insurance.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:37 AM

43,224 posts, read 76,939,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
If you want the property and the price is fair it’s utterly against your best interest to nitpick over such petty inspection items. The only items that a seller should be required to fix would be those that would hinder your ability to obtain insurance.

No.
It is not unreasonable to expect a seller who has owned a house for years and doesn't disclose issues to fix stuff.
Buyers have as little as a 30 minute showing, and pay hundreds of dollars for an inspection to find stuff long-time residents haven't disclosed properly, if at all; have decided not to notice; are hoping the inspector will have missed.

There are always two sides to a transaction. Sellers are not all gems. Buyers are not always jerks.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:15 PM

3,606 posts, read 7,902,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlugenka View Post

Apparently you are in an area where (1) grow houses are a thing and (2) this property has particular appeal to those who plan a grow house.

If a grow house is not your plan- think hard- and look carefully at your neighbors.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:38 PM

14,447 posts, read 12,025,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Apparently you are in an area where (1) grow houses are a thing and (2) this property has particular appeal to those who plan a grow house.

If a grow house is not your plan- think hard- and look carefully at your neighbors.
Out here in WA, where pot is legal, that's almost any rural property with acreage and a big shop or outbuilding. It's not quite that easy to be legal, but there are many people who are buying for that purpose. And the proper locations and zoning for it definitely should be an issue that is more discussed and regulated. Subject for another thread!

Old 07-03-2021, 07:27 AM

13,046 posts, read 18,052,533 times
The fact that the house is still sitting buyer less on the market 6 weeks later leads me to believe that you may not be the only one who found fault with the house. I would re-offer via another broker and not go above what I offered the first time. If they are really interested in selling they will. There is only one place to go and that is up, and if you really want it and they turn it down, you can always up the ante.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:35 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,175,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No.
It is not unreasonable to expect a seller who has owned a house for years and doesn't disclose issues to fix stuff.
Buyers have as little as a 30 minute showing, and pay hundreds of dollars for an inspection to find stuff long-time residents haven't disclosed properly, if at all; have decided not to notice; are hoping the inspector will have missed.

There are always two sides to a transaction. Sellers are not all gems. Buyers are not always jerks.
a double-tapped circuit and some wood rot aren't big deals, but a non-functioning heat source would be!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate