Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 11:44 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of weirdness in that kitchen. It's almost like they installed used, older cabinets themselves and had measurement issues. They appear to have installed a backsplash before the counter top, usually you install the back splash after the counter top. Honestly, the whole thing looks like it needs to be ripped out and redone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 11:47 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That is what the OP asked about, a red flag. Not my verbiage.

I interpreted it to mean that the OP thinks there is something wrong with the house because someone bought a smaller standard size range for a larger space. And, yes I am aware that the picture isn't a vintage kitchen, but it is very common to see people buy a standard range for vintage kitchens out here, so no it is not a red flag in my opinion. It just means they didn't want to gut the kitchen to redo cabinets/counters for a standard size range and they didn't want to spend money on the larger one.
What is the deal with that low hanging microwave? That is way to close to the stove and will get burned out in a hurry. I'd say that a hood vent was originally installed there but even that doesn't seem quite right.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:05 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
What is the deal with that low hanging microwave? That is way to close to the stove and will get burned out in a hurry. I'd say that a hood vent was originally installed there but even that doesn't seem quite right.
The overhead cabinets are also very low, which adds to the issue of the wrong microwave installation.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:43 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've seen that before. There was likely an under cabinet range hood with a charcoal filter or fan. Those look like 80's cabinets and microwaves weren't over ranges back then, in my area at least. In small kitchens, I have seen people shove them over the range like that because the kitchen is so small that there isn't adequate counter space for the microwave to be on the counter.

This is just someone trying to make do with the cabinets rather than do a full remodel and make the kitchen more functional.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This photo looks like an amateur flip, done on the cheap.
It looks like the kitchen was redone in the 1990's and the vent hood replaced with an over-range microwave.
At some point the range kicked the bucket and was replaced on the cheap with one that didn't fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Someone put a 30" range in a 36" space. Definitely a low budget flip. Hard pass on this one for me.
All that means, is that someone put a 30 inch range in a 36 inch space. The picture shows no evidence of work done the last two decades, much less the quality of the work when it was done. The biggest concern would be that the longtime owners were cheap, overall, and what that might mean broadly speaking...but much of that could be sussed out closely looking at the house during the showing and later with an inspection of the showing doesn't ring any alarms.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2BeeHere99 View Post
Is there even a countertop? It looks like an aborted project.
The picture was taken in the middle of a kitchen renovation project.

Here is the before picture:

https://images.younghouselove.com/20...itchen-bef.jpg

The kitchen fully renovated:

https://images.younghouselove.com/20...en-after11.jpg

Old 07-06-2021, 06:29 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The picture was taken in the middle of a kitchen renovation project.

Here is the before picture:

https://images.younghouselove.com/20...itchen-bef.jpg

The kitchen fully renovated:

https://images.younghouselove.com/20...en-after11.jpg
That’s not the same kitchen as posted by the OP.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think it is - they took out that cabinet, which explains the gap between the stove and the other cabinets. They were living in the house and had to save up to do the reno, but presumably needed a new stove so that was the temporary compromise. The other details are all there - the narrow cabinet to the left, the bank of drawers to the right, the low hanging microwave and the tile backsplash are all the same.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
It is. Here is the post about filling in the gaps between the stove and cabinets:

https://www.younghouselove.com/all-the-little-things/

Old 07-06-2021, 11:19 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
I deliberately left gaps to store trays. There's a lid for every pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate