Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 10:26 AM

539 posts, read 241,262 times

Advertisements

I highly recomend LVP as well easy to clean and your pets cant muck it up so to speak . all there is to it is sweep , and mop my kind of floor . Not that I have an aversion to cleaning but i dont want to spend my free time cleaning and cleaning if you get my drift . I would go with LVP .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 10:50 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
Good eyes, Mike. Wish I had posted this picture before we bought the house.

We did find a flooring company who did a test plank and they were able to sand it down. And stain it with different colors for us to choose from.

We're just not sure we want to go through the process. We thought - very naively - that sanding a floor was a much easier process than replacing floors. We came to find out, it is not.

If we're going to bother doing anything with the main area, we may as well replace them.

But we're not sure whether we want to - would replacing the floors allow us to bring up the price of the house? One of the things that I keep reading is that the next people may want to replace everything anyway.

That's why I feel like we need an overall assessment of what would make the most difference in THIS house, THIS neighborhood...so we can be strategic about how we spend our money.
A good quality engineered floor with solid substrate should be acceptable in your price range.
And, once a board is laid, it is "finished," taking that part of the mess out of the equation.

LVP also comes in widely varying thicknesses and quality. If you go that route, make a good choice.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:23 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
I seriously doubt that new flooring will change the value of your house by any significant amount. People expect floors, and you probably won't get more than 50% return on the cost, if that.

I agree with the recommendations for LVP. It will stand up to your dogs much better than any wood products. The higher end vinyl is pretty nice, it's easy and quick to install, and the cost is very reasonable.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:33 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Another vote for LPV. We have had people remove their shoes (without being asked to do so) because they didn't want to risk damaging our "hardwood" floors, LOL. Btw, we also had pets which factored into our decision. And also, btw, good quality LVP is nothing like cheaper "Pergo"-type of flooring.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:44 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Engineered wood floors have always bugged me because of the bezel (is that the right word?) at the edge of each board. To me, wood floors should be flat.

I'm staying in an apartment now that has LVP floors and I love them. It's laid on concrete and it feels rock-solid - none of that spongy feel and clicky sound you can get with laminate. They're indestructible and they look great.

I despise gray floors, especially the ones with pronounced color variation. When I browse Zillow for fun, I'm often thinking "Nice house, except I'd have to replace all the flooring."

My apartment has flooring that is a mid-tone combination of brown and gray. It photographs as brown. In fact, I rented the apartment sight-unseen based on the pictures because I was moving across the country and it was one of the few modern apartments with not-gray floors. When I saw it in person, it had a lot more gray than I expected, but it was still okay. It's not what I would have chosen myself but it's fine and it works well with both warm and cool furnishings.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Engineered wood floors have always bugged me because of the bezel (is that the right word?) at the edge of each board. To me, wood floors should be flat.

I'm staying in an apartment now that has LVP floors and I love them. It's laid on concrete and it feels rock-solid - none of that spongy feel and clicky sound you can get with laminate. They're indestructible and they look great.
Engineered hardwood does not have that "clicky" sound like yesteryear's laminat We have engineered hardwood in the family room and it looks very nice and feels good underfoot. Unfortunately, because it looks so nice there, my husband added it to the kitchen nook and the kitchen itself. Oops. That was one step too far. Ice cubes nicked the floor near the refrigerator-freezer before we thought to put a padded mat down.

My husband was able to install the engineered hardwood himself, but I don't know how hard LVP might be to do.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:54 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post

I despise gray floors, especially the ones with pronounced color variation. When I browse Zillow for fun, I'm often thinking "Nice house, except I'd have to replace all the flooring."

My apartment has flooring that is a mid-tone combination of brown and gray. It photographs as brown. In fact, I rented the apartment sight-unseen based on the pictures because I was moving across the country and it was one of the few modern apartments with not-gray floors. When I saw it in person, it had a lot more gray than I expected, but it was still okay. It's not what I would have chosen myself but it's fine and it works well with both warm and cool furnishings.

Bezel is the black trim around your TV or computer monitor screen.

"Eased edge" is the terminology.
Because of the inability to mill to perfection, to avoid a minuscule edge difference that you would notice or which may make the edge easy to chip, the manufacturer puts a small bevel on the edge of the planks. Some are huge. Some are small. The laminated vinyl planks are consistent enough that some versions are just about flush without the eased edge treatment.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:36 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Have you considered having the main floors buffed instead of refinished? We had our 50 year old oak floors buffed, and they looked new. Engineered might not come out as nice, but it would be an improvement.

I like vinyl plank a lot, too.

If you can't match the floors, use something definitely different, so it doesn't come off as a sloppy job.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:46 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
If you go with the vinyl plank, I would consider replacing all of it, it would some extra cost but it's a reasonably priced product and to me, having consistent flooring throughout as well as replacing the old dinged up engineered wood in the main living area would be worth it.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:37 PM

486 posts, read 654,248 times
What's underneath the carpet and other flooring? Terrazzo is on the way back and if you're blessed with terrazzo floors you hit the jackpot. New terrazzo is in the $15 to $30 a square foot price range. I'd kill for a house with original terrazzo floors. Get them polished and sealed and be happy.

If it's just a concrete slab, rip it all up and go with a light-colored wood-look tile. Easy care and your next buyers will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate