Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Top listing agents and top buyer agents are different categories. What I look for when sending a referral in no particular order:

1-Experience: I want someone with good experience but not too busy to handle a new client. I can look at number of closed transactions on zillow. Not great but better than anything else out there. I like someone that has a roughly 50/50 buyer and listing split.
After using Zillow for years, I never used the agent tab, and always checked out agents on their website. After Brandon’s tip, I did a search today for a potential out of state agent. The Zillow agent tab had nothing on him, which raised a red flag. I googled him and found out he recently changed his career to real estate and has sold no homes. Hiring an agent with no experience and having them learn at my expense won’t work. He and his wife recently moved to the area I’m looking at, so that’s another red flag.

This Zillow agent tab is easy to use and very useful. It might save you from committing to an agent before finding out more about them. This is true for flipper agents too. Lack of experience in real estate is never a good thing. Use the tab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 12:13 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,088,685 times
As others have said, I don't think that's possible not only because design trends change but because by the time you sell, it may already be time to re-remodel. Buyers also have different tastes, and you can't appeal to each of them. Many of not most will probably want to remodel themselves when they buy.

A real estate agent once told me in response to such a question that if you don't know you will be selling soon, remodel according to your own tastes, preferences and budget. It was excellent advice.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:24 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
I think the majority of agents would do this with no obligation. They’re just trying to earn future business.

Now, getting an agent to show you a couple houses for sale if you might not be buying for a year or so on the other hand...probably tougher.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:49 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think the majority of agents would do this with no obligation. They’re just trying to earn future business.

Now, getting an agent to show you a couple houses for sale if you might not be buying for a year or so on the other hand...probably tougher.
I do that, but avoid occupied homes. It isn't reasonable to put people out of their houses without a current need.
But, people on "scouting trips" for potential relocation? They need to sample inventory, so a few vacant houses or open houses, no problem.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:20 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
Brandon, that is exactly what I need!

How can I find a realtor like that? Where would I look? (how could I tell they sell a lot of properties?)

Find a facebook group local to your town and ask buyers and sellers for input on what agent they used. If an agent replies you can answer or ignore them. Usually the ones that post 1st saying I'm an agent! Call me! aren't the good ones. A LOT of that on NextDoor. They all seem green when they reply like that. They sound desperate for a client.

I love that agent tab on zillow. Someone in the NJ section has parents selling has had 3 offers that have for one reason or another not gone anywhere. The agent is always complaining about the potential buyer for whatever reason. I see she sold 58 houses this year which would account for her not getting back to her parents each time they contact her. I have a feeling she's doing the same to these potential buyers. She has a mix of buyers, sellers and agent for both in her profile.

The posters parents have no competition, house shows really well in photos. She trusted me to give her an opinion via message. A house that sold in their price needed updating, paint. Kitchen had 90's wallpaper. Her parents home is turn key.

Last edited by Roselvr; 07-10-2021 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-10-2021, 10:03 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Find a facebook group local to your town and ask buyers and sellers for input on what agent they used. If an agent replies you can answer or ignore them. Usually the ones that post 1st saying I'm an agent! Call me! aren't the good ones. A LOT of that on NextDoor. They all seem green when they reply like that. They sound desperate for a client.

I love that agent tab on zillow. Someone in the NJ section has parents selling has had 3 offers that have for one reason or another not gone anywhere. The agent is always complaining about the potential buyer for whatever reason. I see she sold 58 houses this year which would account for her not getting back to her parents each time they contact her. I have a feeling she's doing the same to these potential buyers. She has a mix of buyers, sellers and agent for both in her profile.

The posters parents have no competition, house shows really well in photos. She trusted me to give her an opinion via message. A house that sold in their price needed updating, paint. Kitchen had 90's wallpaper. Her parents home is turn key.
As I stated previously, it's all about due diligence and research. In my line of work this is referred to as "OSINT", or open source intelligence. A local Facebook group is just one of the simple, easy, free resources that you can bring into a research portfolio to develop an understanding of the market.

All of the data that is readily available on the inter webs is a treasure trove of goodness. Make the effort up front to understand the market, comps and competition and you'll be in a good place. I have invested literally weeks of time to research a market before I step into it, and it's time well spent.

RM

Old 07-10-2021, 10:11 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I do that, but avoid occupied homes. It isn't reasonable to put people out of their houses without a current need.
But, people on "scouting trips" for potential relocation? They need to sample inventory, so a few vacant houses or open houses, no problem.
Makes sense

Old 07-10-2021, 10:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

The FB idea is good and I also love that agent tab! An agent I spoke to about listing this house, has already sold 25 homes this year. The information was super easy to find. I can’t recommend people use this Zillow feature enough. It gives you information quickly and easily. As buyers and sellers, we need all the breaks we can get.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:00 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Why hire a realtor, when there is ton of free advise online. Google, how to increase your homes resale value, or ideas to increase curb appeal, and all kinds of info will pop up. I’d rather read a well written article full of suggestions, than take the advise of a lackluster realtor, who may just tell you to clean it up.
Because realtors are local and work in the market daily. Googling is useless. What works in Pasadena, CA is not going to work in Los Gatos, New Mexico. Even in Los Gatos the market will vary. Markets can vary from block to block. Like where I live, part of my street is in a city and the other part is in a town. The town side is HIGHLY desirable. It is the most desirable street to live in the town. The city portion is a hard sell because their taxes are 2/3 more.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:13 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Because realtors are local and work in the market daily. Googling is useless. What works in Pasadena, CA is not going to work in Los Gatos, New Mexico. Even in Los Gatos the market will vary. Markets can vary from block to block. Like where I live, part of my street is in a city and the other part is in a town. The town side is HIGHLY desirable. It is the most desirable street to live in the town. The city portion is a hard sell because their taxes are 2/3 more.

This is all so true.
We spend a lot of time correcting inferences people draw from google. I worry about the stuff they learn on google that they don't share, because it comes up after contract sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate