Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:49 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Those that are willing to help are probably liked and respected by other agents, and that's a big thing also. Agents would much rather work with a good agent on the other side, so it absolutly matters.

I’d want an agent that is going to sell my home & can be professional...even if they don’t like the buyer’s agent. I sold my 1st condo in SoCal several years ago & a house I owned with my ex in Frisco, Texas. I can tell you that screening realtors for who will help me months before I wanted to list it were not part of the screening process. You can do all that by contacting 3 realtors AND having them give you a detailed listing presentation on what they will do & what they have sold with references, comps & all of that...when you’re ready to list. That takes time for them to prepare...& you can only pick one.

JMO. I wouldn’t waste my time or the realtors time if I wasn’t ready to sell...ESPECIALLY in this market. Everybody knows a well maintained home with curb appeal is going to increase value....AND those homes are usually already in good repair. AND if they aren’t, it doesn’t take a realtor’s advice to repair stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 12:40 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Don't worry about it, Diana. If I ever decide to buy anything in your area, you are the first agent I would call.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:17 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Don't worry about it, Diana. If I ever decide to buy anything in your area, you are the first agent I would call.

Thanks so much.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:22 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And you should do so and bring ten of your friends. There were a number of reasons why we decided that our interests would be better served by hiring someone else. I don’t appreciate Diana dragging this into a public issue and putting me on the spot by begging for the listing. Out of politeness to her, I’m not discussing it on an open forum, you don’t know the situation and trying to make me look like the baddie is out of line. If it wasn’t you, I’d guess you were a troll.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:41 PM

768 posts, read 860,150 times
Not unless you are planning to use them for your real estate needs in the future? I was a realtor for 30 years. I would come and give you a few ideas on updating or what buyers were looking for? But, not staying all day and doing all the work for you. Realtors need to provide for their families too.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:48 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a former house hunter, I think that both staging and updates are just as likely to work against a seller as for them. If either thing is cheap or ugly, you will lose me. I only care that the house has been maintained well. I’ll notice a burned out lightbulb, or a sloppy paint job, and it will make me wonder what else is wrong.

I don’t need furniture to imagine living there, and I don’t care if there is old carpet as much as I’d reject cheap laminate in its place.

My retired neighbor is about to put his house on the market. He’s not sure whether or not to put $20k into updates, or to sell as is. My husband is a DIYer and the neighbor doesn’t know which end of a screw driver to hold. DH told him to just sell it as is. The neighbor doesn’t need the money, his wife is ill, and I doubt if they’ve updated anything in 30 years. Chasing the taste of a potential buyer is futile. Let someone else with fresh enthusiasm take it on.

When I am looking at houses on Zillow if I see a paint job I just think that means it is a cleaner. And, I also would never buy a house that looks like a flipped house.

I agree; he should declutter, clean, landscape and maybe pay to have a professional paint job inside and out. I watched a house in a neighboring neighborhood of larger family homes on larger lots (1990's) and one house had no updates. The people were getting 3x their original investment; they had no furniture to speak of. I watched that house go on the market FSBO two years in a row (with no results). They finally got a realtor and they had it professionally painted inside and out (some repairs to dry rot), minor landscaping, new carpeting and rented furniture. It sold rather quickly that way. This was before the market got hot (obviously and now that house they bought for $200k in 2001 and sold for $600k finally in 2017 is worth $800k in 2021). So, basically clean, organized and curb appeal.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:11 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
And you should do so and bring ten of your friends. There were a number of reasons why we decided that our interests would be better served by hiring someone else. I don’t appreciate Diana dragging this into a public issue and putting me on the spot by begging for the listing. Out of politeness to her, I’m not discussing it on an open forum, you don’t know the situation and trying to make me look like the baddie is out of line. If it wasn’t you, I’d guess you were a troll.

No offense to either of you, I've repped both of you a few times.

While she posted first, you could have said this is not the place to discuss it and hopefully it would have been dropped or it could have been taken to messages. She's using her real name, of course she's going to reply. Anyone would. She's not anonymous like most here.

It was uncomfortable for some of us to see.

If you are Facebook friends with her and not happy with the job she did, you should unfriend her if you haven't already.

You've both said your piece.

Can the thread get back on topic?

Old 07-13-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No offense to either of you, I've repped both of you a few times.

While she posted first, you could have said this is not the place to discuss it and hopefully it would have been dropped or it could have been taken to messages. She's using her real name, of course she's going to reply. Anyone would. She's not anonymous like most here.

It was uncomfortable for some of us to see.

If you are Facebook friends with her and not happy with the job she did, you should unfriend her if you haven't already.

You've both said your piece.

Can the thread get back on topic?
I asked her at least twice if we could move forward, it didn’t happen. A realtor should never put a clients business out in public like that. A real estate transaction should be private, unless you want to share details and I didn’t. Not sure what she wanted to accomplish by turning this thread into a spectacle. It’s our right to choose any realtor we want, without having to justify it.

If there was something I could have done to prevent all this I would have. You’re probably right and I didn’t handle it well. As for FB, haven’t been on there in months. We looked elsewhere because of observations from my spouse and other things. This is not trying to put anyone in a bad light, it’s our house, we just want a quick sale and no drama. I didn’t realize Diana expected to get our listing and maybe I should have told her first.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-13-2021 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 09:21 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Roselvr, I'm sorry it was uncomfortable for you, It was uncomfortable for me too. Still is.

I hang out on this forum a lot and I feel like people know me here.

It felt dishonest to me to participate in this discussion without disclosing that Taz and I had a prior business relationship.

I thought people would consider it pretty weird for me to just talk around and ignore Taz on a thread where she's complaining about not being able to find a good agent, right in my area. It was awkward to say it... it felt awkward to me to NOT say it. So I tried to be as tactful as I could. People are complicated and it ain't easy. Not everyone ends up happy even when everyone is trying.

My goal was certainly not to beg to get the listing. Taz, read my post again, the one thing we agree on is that.

Every post I answered, I felt had to answer.

Hopefully this ends it.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

I thought people would consider it pretty weird for me to just talk around and ignore Taz on a thread where she's complaining about not being able to find a good agent, right in my area. It was awkward to say it... it felt awkward to me to NOT say it. So I tried to be as tactful as I could. People are complicated and it ain't easy. Not everyone ends up happy even when everyone is trying.

Page 3 of this thread. I answered you

“These realtors mentioned are all out of state. I was trying to find a good realtor to work with in finding the next house.”

A Brit friend who used to be a realtor, says the problem with realtors is they don’t listen. This proves her right.

Also..it was was uncomfortable for me when you broadcast the area I live in without permission. Most people want to remain anonymous online, since every public forum has its share of creepy people and stalkers.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-13-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate