Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 12:29 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times

Advertisements

If I were a buyer, I'd appreciate your not sticking holes into the freshly painted walls. Even if I plain on repainting after I buy the the house, those are the nail holes I wouldn't have to fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 06:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,939 times
I would prefer vacant or nearly vacant. It is nice to be able to see the size bed or table or couch that might fit in a room, but I prefer fewer pieces of furniture in a home I'm viewing. (I have not sat on other people's furniture when I'm looking for homes- never occurred to me- but I have never spent too long in one place in a house when looking at it and I am lucky to be mobile enough to be able to walk around a house without needing to sit). I agree that if you want people to take off shoes/put on booties, you definitely need a bench or set of chairs in that area. I know most houses have been lived in before me, but I don't like to see evidence of personal lives (including old furniture).

ETA: I also like to see the size of closets and drawers and such, and I feel less comfortable doing that when they are filled with belongings.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 07-25-2021 at 06:58 PM..

Old 07-25-2021, 06:45 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If I were a buyer, I'd appreciate your not sticking holes into the freshly painted walls. Even if I plain on repainting after I buy the the house, those are the nail holes I wouldn't have to fill.
Ditto. I would like the house to be vacant so I can see there is no damage hidden by furniture. Leave some photos of the rooms furnished on the kitchen counter if you want people to see how to he rooms can look. And as someone else suggested, have a bench or a chair left by the door for booties of you want people to put them on.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I sold my parents home last year vacant.

To me, vacant is the best, if possible.

I repainted all the walls neutral colors that anyone buying the house would be able to live with.
I did each room a different shade of a neutral so as to not make the house looked like it threw up beige.
Obviously, there is no way on earth to know what the buyer will like, so the best thing is neutral, that way at least the buyer wont feel overwhelmed that they have to repaint asap...(we can thank HGTV for that way of thinking)

I also put up basic white plain (cheap) roller shades, so at least they would have something until they get what they like, plus, I didn't want the windows all bare while the house was up for sale, as I don't live close by, and my mother had all vertical blinds (yuck,
the house sold no problem.

It had to be repainted because my mother had "old lady" taste, need I say more. UGH !!

I don't believe in "staging" a house, I think that is nonsense and a waste of money, especially for the average homeowner.
maybe a new development to give people ideas, but to me, can someone be that dumb they cant figure it out.

it truly cant be that had to imagine your furniture in a new house.
the couch goes here, the TV goes there, it really isn't brain surgery.
the bedroom, the bed goes there, the dresser goes there, again, not hard.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 07-26-2021 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Unless the artwork is incredibly heavy you can use Command picture hanging strips to hang pictures. Save the directions so you pull them off correctly when you leave. No markings left behind.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,957,221 times
It's funny - I have always thought houses should be vacant, but I think I like "light decorating." Even if it is 3-4 pieces in a room, something to keep it from being empty. People have no imaginations anymore.
My neighbor in Savannah put her low-county style house on the market. She is a 'french antique' freak.... all furniture looks like it was out of a French Salon, or was a classic american antique style. It fit her.

She had over 50 showings and decided to take it off the market. no offers. People couldn't get past her style, she removed pieces, took down all pictures. People commented on things like her glass laundry room door that said blanchisserie. Her silk drapes and toile style bench pillows were too much.

Quit looking at the furniture.

I thought to myself, if it was my house, it would have been furnished more "beachy". Lighter colors, lighter furniture and possibly would have qone quickly. It was priced perfectly for the market, neighborhood. It was the furniture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate