Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 12:04 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

Planning to sell the house, so did a full interior paint job. All the wall art was taken down and nail holes filled in. Same with window treatments. We were planning to sell vacant but now we’re having second thoughts. Everything looks so blah without the added color so if not vacant it wouldn’t look right without re-hanging everything.

What is the current thinking on this? Do vacant houses sell well? Or do buyers really lack ability to envision basic furniture placement and potential?

So three posible scenarios. One is to sell when vacant. Two is to sell with furniture still in place while decor is packed in one of the rooms. And three is to attempt to put everything back for optimal presentation. Walls are freshly painted gray, of course. Putting everything back on the walls means lots of nail and screw holes...and labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 06:17 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,436 times
I like the house vacant. It’s easier for me to see where I would place what I have.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:19 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
IMHO - Ask your realtor (in fact, ask all of the ones you interview). They are objective and have professional LOCAL market knowledge. And the floorplan of your home may also affect the decision.

Those on this board have opinions, but lack specific information to YOUR home and YOUR market.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:23 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Vacant is just fine, and particularly if properties are moving briskly. Even people who cannot project their stuff into a house are jumping on what is available, vacant, overstuffed, whatever. Their choices are even more limited if they have to have staging and furniture to make a purchase.
Clean as a whistle and fresh paint are just great.

I would suggest not re-hanging much wall art. but maybe a few pieces to pop some color into the neutral walls.

Maybe you leave just enough furniture for photos to look good, but vacant is just fine for photos and showings and selling.
I think buyer demand has moved us well past the point (a la 2011), of "We can get a deal. They have to pay for two houses."

"Vacant" or "Don't care" were the overwhelming response of the CD folk a few years ago:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...ed-staged.html

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-14-2021 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-14-2021, 06:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Planning to sell the house, so did a full interior paint job. All the wall art was taken down and nail holes filled in. Same with window treatments. We were planning to sell vacant but now we’re having second thoughts. Everything looks so blah without the added color so if not vacant it wouldn’t look right without re-hanging everything.

What is the current thinking on this? Do vacant houses sell well? Or do buyers really lack ability to envision basic furniture placement and potential?

So three posible scenarios. One is to sell when vacant. Two is to sell with furniture still in place while decor is packed in one of the rooms. And three is to attempt to put everything back for optimal presentation. Walls are freshly painted gray, of course. Putting everything back on the walls means lots of nail and screw holes...and labor.
Ask your realtor; they're the best source of info. I will say that even if I hadn't sold my house vacant I wouldn't have put any of the artwork back on my freshly painted walls. Most of my artwork was specific to the period of the house (1920s) and was very old-timey or antique and might have turned off younger buyers. Selling my house vacant also showed off the gorgeous original heart pine floors as well.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:49 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I like to see them vacant as well.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
I think it may depend on the house. I live in an old house with smaller rooms. I think having the furniture in the room was helpful since I knew a king-sized bed would fit easily in either of the two main bedrooms. The prior owner also had fairly large furniture, so it helped to get a good idea of how much you can really fit in. Probably if the rooms are huge, it is not necessary.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:06 AM

862 posts, read 439,209 times
I have sold 15 houses in the past four years. The only one that didn’t sell fast with multiple offers was the one that wasn’t vacant. I allowed it to be listed and shown because they people had it nicely furnished/decorated. I didn’t get it but that’s my experience.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Unless you have custom things (e.g. window treatments) and/ or don't want to take certain things with you (art that is perfect for the space, custom furniture, wall sconces), I wouldn't put anything on the walls.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:37 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Vacant.

Plus, in today's market it doesn't matter much which way you do it since most houses are selling super fast anyhow. Why put yourselves through the extra work? Also, why put new holes in the wall to hang art that's not part of the sale? Maybe, if it's not too much trouble, you can put back a dining table and chairs, a couch, things like that for the buyers who want to take a minute to sit and ponder.

But really, as a buyer, I love to see a house vacant; no hidden surprises. The fresh paint you did is a bonus for me, too. I am looking to buy a house right now and I love when I see them vacant. It can sometimes mean a quicker closing, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate