Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 12:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Sounds like a good way to get sued. I'll bet same sex couples, etc. know their rights a lot more than your grandma. Always take the most solid offer. A relative turned down 600k from a demolisher to sell to the tenant for 500k. They got a call five days before closing requesting 30k to reseal the basement. But the tenant had lived there for a decade and never reported any problems with moisture.. They rejected her request and she still miraculously closed.. So doing the right thing cost them 100k and a very anxious close. I'll bet they sell to the guy with the bulldozer next time.
This is so factually incorrect it sounds like a FOX news article! Either you are realllly bitter or just uninformed.

You are NOT required to sell your home to anyone. You are within your rights to sell your home to anyone as long as you don’t discriminate against sex, race or sexual orientation in some states.

Also, in Massachusetts.. if someone wanted to sue for that. That wouldnt even be held up in court a single day. Time after time we see these stories. First, they couldnt.. secondly, nobody would sue if they didnt get their offer selected. Thats showbiz baby. And the home itself was zoned R1, you cant bulldoze to make way for new development in R1. Do you not know any basic knowledge of zoning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 12:52 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,424,846 times
OK, then why is Oregon eliminating the love letters? And after selling in 2006, at the highest uptick, did she send them cash or condolences, when its value was cut in half two years later? I think that would have made even the most rehearsed agents (or used car salesmen) uncomfortable, but hey, they got a gift basket from Harry & David. And I got news for you... anyone buying a house is an investor, even if they claim otherwise.. no one wants the value of their home to drop precipitously, so minimizing that risk is one of the biggest factors in selection. And those buying in flood zones? You can add gambler to their resumes, as well as all the other buyers to varying degrees.

Last edited by DAXhound; 07-17-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 12:57 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,424,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This is so factually incorrect it sounds like a FOX news article! Either you are realllly bitter or just uninformed.

You are NOT required to sell your home to anyone. You are within your rights to sell your home to anyone as long as you don’t discriminate against sex, race or sexual orientation in some states.

Also, in Massachusetts.. if someone wanted to sue for that. That wouldnt even be held up in court a single day. Time after time we see these stories. First, they couldnt.. secondly, nobody would sue if they didnt get their offer selected. Thats showbiz baby. And the home itself was zoned R1, you cant bulldoze to make way for new development in R1. Do you not know any basic knowledge of zoning?
Never, ever, as long as.... Lol. And when the same sex couple brings their rejected cash offer, that was ten thousand more than you sold it for the same day, the burden of proof would be on you..

The bulldozer is to make way for another single family home... Get it now?

Old 07-17-2021, 01:45 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
There's a lotta reasons why offers are often refused, and no one's 'compelled' to accept the highest offer, even if it's more than the asking price. Though if someone wanted to sue for Discrimination, I would imagine a jury could be 'persuaded' with sufficient evidence... especially if the Seller was shown to be a steady consumer of say, Stormfront, MAGA, and FOX News! ;-p

Old 07-17-2021, 01:55 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
....... however, why on earth are you looking in all the closets?.....

If there is going to be mold in the house, the closet is a good place for it to be because of the lack of air circulation.

If the closet doors do not open and close like they should, it might indicate a problem with the foundation settling.

Sometimes things that look like closets are not closets at all. There might be shallow tiny shelves behind that door. It might be the water heater behind that door, and I want to look at the water heater. My aunt had a closet that when you opened the door, there was a huge room behind it. I want to see how big the closet is.

If I am buying a house, I want to see all of the house, not just the carefully selected prettiest bits and leave the rest to be a surprise after I own it.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:34 PM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
We just bought and sold and both transactions went pretty well. Our buyer had found that we needed a new water heater on inspection and I had the home warranty company replace it. They charged me a few hundred $$ to do some plumbing alterations to install it. The buyer's lawyer wanted a receipt for the install of the new heater but the receipt only showed the plumbing alterations. They kept insisting on it. I figured they would see the new water heater when they did the walk through. Other than that, smooth on both sides.

Except the incompetence of the mortgage company. In retrospect, I would have used a different lender.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:41 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
I wish we'd found a better agent. I had to keep pushing just to get what was in the contract, like "refuse cleaned up." I think she wanted to maintain a good relationship with the seller, who flips several houses a year.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Never, ever, as long as.... Lol. And when the same sex couple brings their rejected cash offer, that was ten thousand more than you sold it for the same day, the burden of proof would be on you..
A cash offer $10K over selling price does NOT prove discrimination. There are plenty of reasons why a seller went with another offer. That does mean it's discriminatory in any way at all. Actually in court the one suing has the burden of proof. They have to prove their case. Not the defendant.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
All of you discussing discrimination, how do you know what the buyers look like? We had a zillion people in here in a week and were gone for 90% of the showings, the 10% I was there was to show ladies a few things the realtors would not know and things only a girl would appreciate that we did with the reno. I then left 50 seconds later and let them be alone with realtor and home. When we got 15 offers I had zero memory of anybody. What was reason they said not going with the 10k over? I am not entirely caught up here.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:53 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Women seem to be really emotional about homes (excluding me). I had a gf in a hot part of Austin who was dealing with this lady b/c she "liked" her and she would not fix it up to sell but be her forever home. This lady wasted her time for many many months and her money fell through. And in the end gf sold to a company that flipped her home in one week. If her husband was a bit more of a Man and not always playing victim they could have redone the kitchen and bathrooms and gotten twice as much. She was devastated to see it on the market in one week completely redone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate