Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 04:05 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times

Advertisements

OP, don't forget the deductible is per claim. So, if you filed 2 claims in 2020 for different issues, you pay the deductible twice, not once per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 05:08 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I've never heard of diminishing deductible for homeowners. Some states do not allow it - period - even for auto.

I work in insurance and am always surprised at the questions people ask or things they think are true - like "I already met my deductible for the year". Ask a lot of questions when you buy a policy, people.

To answer the OP, you pay your deductible the day you buy the policy, if you should happen to have a loss then.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:22 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I've never heard of diminishing deductible for homeowners. Some states do not allow it - period - even for auto.

I work in insurance and am always surprised at the questions people ask or things they think are true - like "I already met my deductible for the year". Ask a lot of questions when you buy a policy, people.

To answer the OP, you pay your deductible the day you buy the policy, if you should happen to have a loss then.
I think the wedge in understanding is that YOU are versed in that field. Where as the client is not.
What appears to be a "silly" question or assumption to you , is a concept the client may have leaned towards all these years. You are there to clarify and sometimes educate them on the policy presented.

I seriously had only a gleening of understanding of Home owners insurance and claims, til Yes it had to be used. two claims in and we get a letter that they were dropping us. We were referred to a HIGH risk insurer.
Two separate drivers, hit the side of our home. Short of putting up steel beams and bumpers around our home ....we didn't have a clue what to do. We were ignorant in thinking the drivers insurance would cover the entire damage. Pffftt....Boy did we learn a hard lesson . Can't get blood from a turnip.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:34 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Anything under the $2500 and you'll pay it all. Anything over and you'll pay the first $2500 and the ins co will pay the rest.
It isn't yearly, it's per claim.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:26 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Some insurance companies have what they call a disappearing deductible, which means that if you have enough time with no claims they will waive the deductible. It sounds as though your carrier doesn't have that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I am with allstate.
That disappearing deductible thing isn't automatic. You have to buy that product.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:36 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I think the wedge in understanding is that YOU are versed in that field. Where as the client is not.
What appears to be a "silly" question or assumption to you , is a concept the client may have leaned towards all these years. You are there to clarify and sometimes educate them on the policy presented.

I seriously had only a gleening of understanding of Home owners insurance and claims, til Yes it had to be used. two claims in and we get a letter that they were dropping us. We were referred to a HIGH risk insurer.
Two separate drivers, hit the side of our home. Short of putting up steel beams and bumpers around our home ....we didn't have a clue what to do. We were ignorant in thinking the drivers insurance would cover the entire damage. Pffftt....Boy did we learn a hard lesson . Can't get blood from a turnip.
Please point out where I said it is a silly question. What I said was when you buy a policy ask a lot of questions.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:39 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've heard of that with some auto insurers, but not on homeowners insurance policies. What companies have a "disappearing deductible" for one's home insurance policy?
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You selected the deductible amount when you bought the insurance policy. If you thought it was high, you should have gone with a lower amount.
Yep.

It makes sense for OP to pay out of pocket and not use insurance on this small claim. My husband lost his wedding band once and I called to ask about it. They said it would raise our rates 3 of the next 5 years. Made no sense to file and I dropped all those small items off the jewelry rider.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:41 AM

4,242 posts, read 948,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So this is something I would have thought was true, that the deductible was per policy year. You're saying it is per claim?

Last edited by CarolinaMoon1; 07-15-2021 at 06:57 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 06:46 AM

494 posts, read 180,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
So this is something I would have thought was true, that the deductible was per policy year. You're saying it is per claim?
Yes the deductible is per claim. Each claim is a separate event and thus the deductible is applied to each one. The only time this would not happen is if you had one event, but say discovered damages later on after initial damages were fixed. For example, you get siding damages from a windstorm. You pay the ded and the damages are fixed. A few weeks later you notice the roof was damaged also. The insurance company would view that as a single event and you would not have to pay another deductible.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:50 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Yes, per claim. For medical insurance, it is per year though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate