Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:19 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not all restrictions are bad. Who wants to live in an AirBnB community?
I wouldn't mind, especially if I could do so myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Most? This sounds like something that may vary by region. Do you have a source for such a claim?
I agree. This doesn't seem to be the case for condos on Oahu, as an example.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:26 AM

To answer the question, I vote for no restrictions.

While I can appreciate some of the restrictions that HOAs impose, I have always viewed rental restrictions as a step too far and a frontal assault on property rights. I have a huge problem being told that I cannot have guests over for a small amount of time simply because I happen to charge them for the inconvenience of their visit

My two cents, anyway.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:06 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

While I can appreciate some of the restrictions that HOAs impose, I have always viewed rental restrictions as a step too far and a frontal assault on property rights. I have a huge problem being told that I cannot have guests over for a small amount of time simply because I happen to charge them for the inconvenience of their visit

My two cents, anyway.
If you charge, they aren't guests, and you've turned your home into a business. That's similar to a neighbor who fixes cars in his driveway.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:35 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Our HOA Covenants that no rentals are allowed during first year of ownership which seems to discourage speculators. Also minimum rental is 6 months. We have several that skirted the one year no rental but it has been to family and as we have never had any issues with them, we never pursued them. Thus rentals have never been an issue in my HOA.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:52 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,424,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

My two cents, anyway.
It is a valid point that most municipalities have ordinances on running hotels in residential areas.. and they have hotel taxes to go with them.. But, then there is enforcement. And of course give an inch, take a mile applies to renters more than just about anyone.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
If you charge, they aren't guests, and you've turned your home into a business. That's similar to a neighbor who fixes cars in his driveway.
I see your point. But I still view them as guests. Paying guests that I invited into my home. If government wants to tax those proceeds, I have no problem with that. It’s the prohibitions that some associations and governments have on such guest arrangements that rub me the wrong way as I view it as an assault of property rights.

Fundamentally, another problem I have with the business argument is that those up in arms against the for-profit model would be just as irked, I wager, if a bunch of people with vacation rentals allowed them to be used en masse by their family and friends or if a church bought several single family homes and allowed a bunch of homeless to live there. These people aren't upset because there is a business. They just don't like a certain kind of crowd that short term rentals, etc., can sometimes attract. But that, to me, isn't reason enough to trample of property rights.

I’d laugh my butt off if a rich person opened up his property to the homeless for free as a way to get back at people pushing these restrictions

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 07-16-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-16-2021, 03:08 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not all restrictions are bad. Who wants to live in an AirBnB community?
Why does it matter? you do you and let your neighbors do what's best for them?

Old 07-16-2021, 07:41 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,424,846 times
We have some folks down the street living in a trailer parked on the street in front of a 400k house in an hoa... I will simply email the sheriff.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Why does it matter? you do you and let your neighbors do what's best for them?
Oh, would love to do that, except many of these Air BnB renters are just horrible people.

If not for that, would not care, but when a constant flow of noisy, trashy people keep coming in and out, disrupting everything, then yes, I do care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate