Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 03:27 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I haven't made up my mind on that. That's why I asked.

My cousin said I could do it but I thought it was a stupid idea.

He might have suggested it because there are a few small areas that I had to paint with KILLZ, because of cat pee and pooh.

So I get that it's sub flooring and not a finished product, but there are some areas of it that got painted/treated with KILLZ (or whatever it was that we used)
Got it. Find a local reputable stager in your area. They are generally contractors as well and do house prep for home sellers. At least they do out here. They will pick colors, etc and make it look amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 03:51 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
"Are there companies you can pay to fix up your house before you sell?"

Yes, they're called general contractors.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:51 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
I've done some painting. My buddy's dad and I did the entire upper level - I paid him to help me with that but we removed all the wallpaper (NIGHTMARE), and primed and painted.
A little hint I learned from watching shows on Discovery+, on the wallpaper part. Instead of the pain of removing the wallpaper (I went through that too!), they put 1/4" drywall up over the wallpapered walls, mudded it, then painted. Got rid of all signs of the other wall.

Somebody earlier mentioned finding somebody to take care of each part, flooring contractor, etc. If you really want to go through with it all, just find a general contractor who will take care of all of it.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:30 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
I'll try to keep this short and sweet so as not to ramble (at least in this first post) so I can get some responses coming in.

I notice when homes go up for sale in my neighborhood, these companies like "We Buy Ugly Houses" peoeple will come in with their crew who go in and will do everything to get the house ready to quick flip the homes for tens of thousands in profit.

I guess they have jack-of-all-trade types/crews come in, maybe slap a coat of paint in a few rooms, tighten a few screws - maybe fix a sink or put in a toilet seat or even quick throw in some cheap new carpeting in a room or two - then they sell the house for tens of thousands more than what they paid for it.

Are there companies that just will do the fixing up for you so YOU can sell the home?
Yes
Quote:

I'll be darned if I am going to sell-off the house I have to some "We Buy Ugly Houses" people so they can make money I otherwise feel I am entitled to (if I don't have to, at least).
???
(I'll get more specific about my particular situation in later posts if anyone here wants to know....)
Don't let those evil, greedy bastards take your money away from you, even if they earned it!

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 07-20-2021 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2021, 11:58 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
YesDon't let those evil, greedy bastards take your money away from you, even if they earned it!
If it was fair, I wouldn't complain.

I believe some of these companies prey on people and take their properties for pennies on the dollar, then flip them so they can drive their brand new Mercedes' and have their 10K square foot homes in gated in communities.

Sorry if I don't think highly of them.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:46 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
I am not a real estate agent. So those who are, feel free to correct me here.

It has been my observation of homes that have sold in our neighborhood that there is a smaller pool of buyers for fixer-uppers and those buyers drive a hard bargain. Buyers of "as is" homes fiddle around for several weeks with inspections and contractors and so forth, then want the sellers to lower the price. It is not unusual for fixer-upper deals to fall through a time or two.

Now, this is not true of those who sell to Open Door. Those neighbors appear satisfied with the lower price in return for the convenience. Apparently, the price they agree on in the beginning includes the cost of repairs.

On the other hand, "move-in ready" homes sell and stay sold. There is very little haggling involved, especially now.

Strangely enough, the majority of homes that are selling in our area are empty. The owners move out, hire a contractor to remove the popcorn ceilings, paint the walls, and replace any worn flooring with LVP/carpet, and landscapers to prune and spread mulch.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:53 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I am not a real estate agent. So those who are, feel free to correct me here.

It has been my observation of homes that have sold in our neighborhood that there is a smaller pool of buyers for fixer-uppers and those buyers drive a hard bargain. Buyers of "as is" homes fiddle around for several weeks with inspections and contractors and so forth, then want the sellers to lower the price. It is not unusual for fixer-upper deals to fall through a time or two.

Now, this is not true of those who sell to Open Door. Those neighbors appear satisfied with the lower price in return for the convenience. Apparently, the price they agree on in the beginning includes the cost of repairs.

On the other hand, "move-in ready" homes sell and stay sold. There is very little haggling involved, especially now.

Strangely enough, the majority of homes that are selling in our area are empty. The owners move out, hire a contractor to remove the popcorn ceilings, paint the walls, and replace any worn flooring with LVP/carpet, and landscapers to prune and spread mulch.

Local market dynamics rule. My local market is hot enough, there is competition for some pretty rough properties.
OpenDoor is just one flipper that takes a lot of pigs, sweeps them out, and puts some cheap lipstick on, and they still re-sell well.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:21 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
I guess I'm kind of at the mercy of the market. That's what I keep hearing.

I don't know anything about owning a home - I inherited this house. Never owned a home prior to it.

I think my mind is kind of all over the place - doing this or that to the home will add value.

This house is "move-in ready" I believe - it's not a trash heap. My parents took care of it. Though it does need attention in places.

I guess I was hoping, though my sister's friend said get it on market at $170K, that I could just throw maybe a few thousand and a lot of sweat equity that I could turn this property into a $250K home. Maybe that's just not realistic (not at all how the real-world of home buying/selling works)?

Old 07-21-2021, 07:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
I guess I'm kind of at the mercy of the market. That's what I keep hearing.

I don't know anything about owning a home - I inherited this house. Never owned a home prior to it.

I think my mind is kind of all over the place - doing this or that to the home will add value.

This house is "move-in ready" I believe - it's not a trash heap. My parents took care of it. Though it does need attention in places.

I guess I was hoping, though my sister's friend said get it on market at $170K, that I could just throw maybe a few thousand and a lot of sweat equity that I could turn this property into a $250K home. Maybe that's just not realistic (not at all how the real-world of home buying/selling works)?
Why don't you get a couple of local realtors who you might use to sell the house look at it and tell you what it needs most to sell for the best price?

Old 07-21-2021, 08:00 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Got it. Find a local reputable stager in your area. They are generally contractors as well and do house prep for home sellers. At least they do out here. They will pick colors, etc and make it look amazing.
Bingo.

Although, in our area they are not contractors, but do have a list of contractors they work with.

Often, realtors will know reliable contractors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate