Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 06:26 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this short and sweet so as not to ramble (at least in this first post) so I can get some responses coming in.

I notice when homes go up for sale in my neighborhood, these companies like "We Buy Ugly Houses" peoeple will come in with their crew who go in and will do everything to get the house ready to quick flip the homes for tens of thousands in profit.

I guess they have jack-of-all-trade types/crews come in, maybe slap a coat of paint in a few rooms, tighten a few screws - maybe fix a sink or put in a toilet seat or even quick throw in some cheap new carpeting in a room or two - then they sell the house for tens of thousands more than what they paid for it.

Are there companies that just will do the fixing up for you so YOU can sell the home?

I'll be darned if I am going to sell-off the house I have to some "We Buy Ugly Houses" people so they can make money I otherwise feel I am entitled to (if I don't have to, at least).

???

(I'll get more specific about my particular situation in later posts if anyone here wants to know....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 06:33 AM

865 posts, read 440,674 times
Fixing up houses is costly. You can’t expect them to pay top dollar for a house needing fixing. You are only entitled to what the house is valued at in the condition it is in.

It would be helpful to know what kind of fixing needs to be done.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Fixing up houses is costly. You can’t expect them to pay top dollar for a house needing fixing. You are only entitled to what the house is valued at in the condition it is in.

It would be helpful to know what kind of fixing needs to be done.
General stuff - some rooms need the carpet removed, flooring needs to be installed in the upstairs (I am going to put in vinyl flooring up there). Painting probably needs to be done in a room or two.

Window sills outside need to be painted. Garage needs to be painted.

Cabinets in the kitchen need to be refurbished, perhaps.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:59 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I like the show Unsellable Houses on HGTV. Real estate agents, who are sisters, put up their own money to correct problems...typically about $40k or so. They guarantee a certain selling price. When the house sells they recoup their money and split the profit with the homeowner.

I’ve wondered why this practice has not become popular with other real estate companies.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:03 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
General stuff - some rooms need the carpet removed, flooring needs to be installed in the upstairs (I am going to put in vinyl flooring up there). Painting probably needs to be done in a room or two.

Window sills outside need to be painted. Garage needs to be painted.

Cabinets in the kitchen need to be refurbished, perhaps.
Why don’t you just save yourself the hassle and expense and sell it minus the cost of the upgrades? If it was good enough for you to live in, it’s good enough for the next guy.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
If the things you described are the major part of the work that needs doing, this looks like a snap to me.

Get a painter in to paint the whole interior of the house, and include the kitchen cabinets if they will lend themselves to such a treatment (most anything in the kitchen cabinet line can be painted). Also contract for the garage painting and outside window trim. This seems to be 90% of your work. Then get a carpet company in to remove and replace the carpet in all the parts you aren't going to refloor yourself. Now you have a new-looking interior and newly painted garage.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why don’t you just save yourself the hassle and expense and sell it minus the cost of the upgrades? If it was good enough for you to live in, it’s good enough for the next guy.
I've definitely considered that might be the way it plays out.

I inherited the home (or at least a large portion of it as I bought out my other siblings - still owe $100K on the loan).

My sibling's friend who is a realtor said we should have put it on the market (that was in the Fall) at $170K.

The company that was my lender quoted the home's value at about $200K.

I just don't want some "We Buy Ugly Homes" people to take what I believe is rightfully mine. Not if I can help it, at least.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
If the things you described are the major part of the work that needs doing, this looks like a snap to me.

Get a painter in to paint the whole interior of the house, and include the kitchen cabinets if they will lend themselves to such a treatment (most anything in the kitchen cabinet line can be painted). Also contract for the garage painting and outside window trim. This seems to be 90% of your work. Then get a carpet company in to remove and replace the carpet in all the parts you aren't going to refloor yourself. Now you have a new-looking interior and newly painted garage.
The central air is new. The retaining wall my dad dropped $20K just before he died is brand new. The water heater is okay...just did a repair on it with a friend.

The roofing is in decent shape - I think that was done about 12 years ago??? The siding on the home was all replaced - that was done about 10 years ago I think. It's newer vinyl siding on the home now.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:36 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
I just don't want some "We Buy Ugly Homes" people to take what I believe is rightfully mine. Not if I can help it, at least.
That's foolish.

If your house can sell for X as is and you have to spend Y to sell it for X+Y, what difference does it make?

You don't usually get dollar for dollar returns for fixing it up.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:38 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
There's always curbio www.curbio.com

I have not used them nor do I have any experience with them, but a neighbor did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate