Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 10:54 AM

65 posts, read 40,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.james View Post
We paid ~$6K to have a house painted in the fall of 2019.
Thank you for the useful contribution to this thread. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
HVAC replacement. 1.5 ton. No additional duct work $7K. $4K for AC part, $3k new furnace and blower motor.
Thank you for the useful contribution to this thread. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 10:59 AM

65 posts, read 40,898 times
Plumbing - 10-15k
Electrical 9.5k
Roof - shingles 6-8. Metal
Foundation - 2k to 20k and up
Hot water heater - 1000-2000
Exterior paint 3-4k
A/C system with ducting 6k

Old 07-19-2021, 11:29 AM

72 posts, read 45,017 times
Why are you guys using hot water heaters? Why would you heat hot water?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:48 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingHomeATL View Post
Why are you guys using hot water heaters? Why would you heat hot water?

Smart Aleck!

Old 07-19-2021, 12:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
Please only respond if you can share an actual data point of what you personally paid for a given repair.
Thank you.
California.

I budgeted $16,000 for a roof replacement. Came in at 11000. And they pretty much replaced all the decking. Not bad.

I have a tiny kitchen, had custom cherry cabinets made and installed for my kitchen add a cost of a $5500. At this point I had worked with this contractor before and I knew if he quoted me a price that was the price. He always gave me an upper limit and a lower limit. Depending on what he may or may not find behind the old cabinets. Since he worked exclusively on old houses he knew what he was doing. And since he already worked with the kitchen he knew that at this point everything was done properly.

He was the one who did my bathroom, small bathroom. He quoted me $7500 if there was nothing wrong behind the walls, 12,000 if there was, and also this was when I was new at it, he told me to build in a contingency fee of about 15% just in case. So I budgeted about $15,000 just to make sure, and he walked me into the bathroom after he tore out the walls and then had to tell me that amazingly after 50 some years there was no damage at all. Came in at 7500.

Oh boy did I spend the extra in the kitchen. The previous owner had put in a flat sliding window with no flashing and the water was pouring in from outside into my only electrical junction box for the kitchen, poured down the exterior wall sheathing, and had installed the garbage disposal with TELEPHONE WIRE, so there was a lot of damage that there was no way to see until you took it apart. So my $7500 kitchen budget turned into about $13,000.

We did the kitchen in two stages because my husband insisted that the original cabinets which were original to the house were historical. They were not, well, they were old and they were completely useless cabinets.

By the way, most of the large remodel which was the bath and the kitchen but not the cabinets was done over 20 years ago. The kitchen cabinets were done 11 years ago. The roof was done six years ago.

I also very firmly believe in not using big box stores. So none of the stuff was done via Home Depot, my contractor has accounts at places that serve the trades.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:25 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
The ONLY one on the list that doesn't demand "it depends" is the hot water heater.

1K would be pretty typical. Unless, that is, the house does not HAVE a hot water heater already...in which case...it depends.
Even on that I would say it depends - I would say that $1K is a little low for replacing many house water heaters - the cost of the water heater can be more than that amount even without installation costs. But $5K is probably too high unless swapping out type / energy used.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:33 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
OK, you want a data point? I replaced my roof for $9K this past January. Used architectural shingles, but did not replace the underlayment (original 1959 sheathing boards were still good), and that price did not include the EPDM roofing on the bump-out over the master bedroom and bath. The price did include all new vent boots, flashing, ridge vent and pop-up vents for the flat roof, and a new skylight over the kitchen extension. I also got ice and water shield, which the previous "new" roof hadn't had at all. I have been very pleased.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:26 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
Plumbing - 10-15k
Electrical 9.5k
Roof - shingles 6-8. Metal
Foundation - 2k to 20k and up
Hot water heater - 1000-2000
Exterior paint 3-4k
A/C system with ducting 6k
Not in small town OK. And not in a long time.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
The ONLY one on the list that doesn't demand "it depends" is the hot water heater.

1K would be pretty typical. Unless, that is, the house does not HAVE a hot water heater already...in which case...it depends.

I'd say 1-2k for an even swap of a 40-50g tank heater, add a few more K if new plumbing needs to be run (relocation, electric to gas conversion, tank to tankless conversion, etc.). Possibly more in some situations.

You can get a budget 40g tank for $500 but you'll be replacing it more often. You can do it yourself in many places but contracted labor needs to be a licensed plumber in most places. 1K would be scraping the bottom of the barrel in both product and labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate