Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 03:06 PM

84 posts, read 61,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

As to your question about terminology, instead of “landlord”, how about just….”host”?
Host implies guests. If I am renting from you, I am not a guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 03:09 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The balance in Europe is most commonly a reflection of the laws regarding landlords/tenants, lending practices, as well as the tax codes and whatnot. The UK has a higher homeownership rate than the US. Germany is much lower. Germany has more stringent lending standards and taxes paid when acquiring a property. Compared to the US, where buying allows a slew of deductions and appreciation is largely shielded from income tax.
Of course. But this passel of laws and rules stems from cultural constructs. American culture is all about private ownership of residential real estate. German culture is not. American laws are going to be tailored to advance and conform with American culture. German laws will be likewise with German culture. And so on.

Returning to the thread's theme, in no society, or at least in no advanced society, is land-ownership absolute. It is subject to the whims and mores of the host-society. In some societies, beaches are a public asset, so owners of beachfront property can not chase-away hikers or bathers who fancy gathering on "private" beachfront. In other societies, there is a "castle doctrine", where owners can if necessary use violence to dislodge the trespassers. In the latter society, ownership is more absolute.

In American society, ownership is not absolute... no difference from elsewhere. But at the same time, there's more cultural pressure to own. This means, by my reckoning, the worst of both worlds: by buying property, we assume the various responsibilities and chores, but only with limited rights. And if we don't buy, OK, we pass the responsibilities and chores to the landlord, but then we suffer the pangs of low status and low prestige. So if I were a German, living in Germany, I'd be happily contented with renting. But living in America, a feel qualm and discomfort, either as a renter or as an owner.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
"Landlord" has pretty much given way to "property owner," which is more cumbersome, but less offensive to the sensitive.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:21 PM

72 posts, read 44,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Owners therefore are morally superior, just as the sober man is morally superior to the drunkard, or the faithful wife is superior to the strumpet.
Oh, great. I'm sitting here in my apartment, drunk and with a strumpet. You've made me feel terrible!

Should I take her to a hotel?

Old 07-28-2021, 06:40 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Of course you own it. This author and some posters here just don't understand what "own" means. It doesn't imply you can do whatever you want with no restrictions. I can own a gun, but that doesn't mean I get to point it wherever I want while I pull the trigger.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:43 AM

182 posts, read 76,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingHomeATL View Post
Oh, great. I'm sitting here in my apartment, drunk and with a strumpet. You've made me feel terrible!

Should I take her to a hotel?
Take her to Cancun a week for a vacation.

A strumpet that is staying around a drunkard in an apt while he 's drinking and posting in the CD's Real Estate forum is a very special strumpet. She totally deserves her Cancun trip. Oh and you should feel good, no need to feel terrible.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
If the home is in your name & it's paid off, technically you do own your home. Before I got married, I lived in a rental home before my wife & I bought the home we own right now. I've been paying an extra few hundred on the mortgage so it can be paid off faster. 4-5 more years and our home will be paid off, but we're talking about paying the remaining lump sum balance.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:24 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
I don’t think this discussion is really about ownership …it is more about the fact that depending how much all the other expenses went up and how long ago you bought , as to whether that paid off mortgage really adds much to affordability as far as staying in that house forever if you wanted to ..

Like I said many who have their homes decades and have paid off mortgages in the tristate area can’t afford to keep those homes when taxes alone are 5 digits nor can many do the repairs many lenders want done in order to qualify for a reverse mortgage.

Most are doing so because they are already in a cash crunch

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2021 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 07:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
"Tristate area"?

Old 07-29-2021, 07:57 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Tristate area"?
New Jersey , Connecticut and New York are called the tristate area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate