Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 10:29 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
So glad that I own my home without any financing. Bought it for cash after I sold another property in the country just prior to the housing crash.
"100% equity." We have title laws to protect you from supersititious folk who believe you don't own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 10:58 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what if anything will eviction moratorium do? Did the vast majority of tenants pay through the pandemic?
No idea who is paying or not. Not my problem

For landlords who own stabilized apartments at below market rents the tenants would be fools to lose that by not paying. They can be evicted eventually for not paying.

I wished my stabilized tenants would have not paid when I owned all the stabilized co-op apartments..it is really the only way to get them out

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-24-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2021, 11:41 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
We made enough money on our first house to pay off the mortgage, reimburse us for all past taxes, maintenance, improvements, insurance, and mortgage payments, plus quite a bit more. So we lived there free for 18 years and still made enough to buy our next house for cash. But we rented for three years, waiting for prices to drop. We saved enough on the next purchase price to pay back all that rent.

We put too many improvements into that one (greenhouse, trees, decks, kitchen remodel), so barely broke even when we sold after 10 years. Still got enough to count as free "rent" and buy our current house for cash.

We haven't put much into this one, but the area has become popular and value has risen 25-80%, depending on which site you believe.

It's all about timing, plus a whole lotta luck.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:12 PM

307 posts, read 164,553 times
Yes, I own my house and paying a mortgage is part of that right now. I am not sure why people are complaining about taxes; it's not as if you don't get anything in return. I pay taxes but also get roads built and maintained, public schools, public libraries, fire and police services, elder housing/services authority, etc.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:00 PM

258 posts, read 230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Except that's not the way it normally works. Once a tenant completes their 12-month lease (or actually a little before), the landlord will present a tenant with a NEW 12-month lease, many times at an increased cost, and the tenant has the choice of either re-upping for another year or packing up and finding a new place to live.

LOL at thinking that tenants just have to "fulfill" one 12-month lease and then can just continue to stay in perpetuity on a month-to-month basis.
Lol at thinking you know how it works everywhere. Because that's not how it works when you have rent control (and I do). I can leave whenever I want after the initial lease is over. The landlord cannot kick me out easily (it would take him months and tens of thousands of dollars). And he cannot increase the rent anymore than the city allows him which is usually less than 1 percent per year. I can stay as little or as long as I want thereafter.

That said, I have quite a few friends that lived in rent controlled places. Usually if your landlord is not an ass and you have a decent relationship with him, they will just renew the lease with either minor or no increase. If you're a good tenant why kick you out? You'll have to seek new ones which is always a headache and there's never a guarantee they'll be better tenants than the current ones. Some of my friends lived in the same place for several years at pretty much the same price as before.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:03 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Lol at thinking you know how it works everywhere. Because that's not how it works when you have rent control (and I do). I can leave whenever I want after the initial lease is over. The landlord cannot kick me out easily (it would take him months and tens of thousands of dollars). And he cannot increase the rent anymore than the city allows him which is usually less than 1 percent per year. I can stay as little or as long as I want thereafter.

That said, I have quite a few friends that lived in rent controlled places. Usually if your landlord is not an ass and you have a decent relationship with him, they will just renew the lease with either minor or no increase. If you're a good tenant why kick you out? You'll have to seek new ones which is always a headache and there's never a guarantee they'll be better tenants than the current ones. Some of my friends lived in the same place for severalw years at pretty much the same price as before.

Here in nyc , if you are rent stabilized or rent controlled then by law the landlord must issue a 1 or two year lease …there can be no month to month allowed …you may have an agreement to break the lease with no penalty but there must be a lease by law.

All increases are capped by what the rent stabilization board voted on ..

Old 07-24-2021, 02:23 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You don’t own it until it’s paid off.
We never really own it as we'll pay property taxes until we sell.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:29 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
BS. You just don't understand how the system works. If you buy where everyone else wants to buy and you have money, your claim holds up. There are many situations where it doesn't. In most cases, grandma will not be kicked off her fully paid off property when grandpa dies and social security doesn't cover the taxes. Her grandkids with money might have to cough up when she dies to vacate the lien, but that is a different story.

Don't know where you live, but towns in my area are very aggressive about selling homes off in tax sales. Don't pay your property taxes and sooner or later, the sheriff knocks at your door with an eviction notice. So no, we will never 100% "own" our home as long as the town can take it for non-payment of property taxes.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:35 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We never really own it as we'll pay property taxes until we sell.

Hogwash.

If you don't own it, I can take it.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:36 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Except that's not the way it normally works. Once a tenant completes their 12-month lease (or actually a little before), the landlord will present a tenant with a NEW 12-month lease, many times at an increased cost, and the tenant has the choice of either re-upping for another year or packing up and finding a new place to live.

LOL at thinking that tenants just have to "fulfill" one 12-month lease and then can just continue to stay in perpetuity on a month-to-month basis.
Uh, no. Maybe some landlords play that game, but that wasn’t the case in 7 different leases I had over a 20+ year period. Every one went to month to month after 12 months. Some with rent increases, some without. The only time I was asked to sign a new 12 month lease was when I gave my 30 day notice (while on month to month) and changed my mind after a new place fell through.

I own now, but if this is a new trend in the last few years I’ve never heard anyone say their landlord made them sign a new lease once their old one is up? I have heard plenty complain about rent increases so I’m sure I would’ve been told this if it happened. I feel bad for anyone that has to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate