Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 02:41 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Don't know where you live, but towns in my area are very aggressive about selling homes off in tax sales. Don't pay your property taxes and sooner or later, the sheriff knocks at your door with an eviction notice. So no, we will never 100% "own" our home as long as the town can take it for non-payment of property taxes.

So, irresponsible people may be short-term owners. Responsible people own longer.

"OWN" being the operative term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 02:42 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We never really own it as we'll pay property taxes until we sell.
You don't really make $x/hour because of taxes. Does that mean you don't get paid?
Most places have sales tax; does that mean we don't own the item? If so, I'm moving to Oregon.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:47 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Don't know where you live, but towns in my area are very aggressive about selling homes off in tax sales. Don't pay your property taxes and sooner or later, the sheriff knocks at your door with an eviction notice. So no, we will never 100% "own" our home as long as the town can take it for non-payment of property taxes.
Yeah I’m with the poster you’re responding to. In California if you’re over 62, as well those under that age with certain disabilities, your whole tax bill will be “paid” by the state and it becomes a lien when you sell, or title gets transferred after you die. All other cases it takes 5 years of not paying before it goes to auction. Grandma is not getting kicked out.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:51 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You don't really make $x/hour because of taxes. Does that mean you don't get paid?
Most places have sales tax; does that mean we don't own the item? If so, I'm moving to Oregon.
Not the same thing …you pay the sales tax up front only once not yearly and no one is putting a lien on my iPad because I didn’t pay sales taxes

Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 PM

258 posts, read 230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Here in nyc , if you are rent stabilized or rent controlled then by law the landlord must issue a 1 or two year lease …there can be no month to month allowed …you may have an agreement to break the lease with no penalty but there must be a lease by law.

All increases are capped by what the rent stabilization board voted on ..
It's somewhat similar here in SF. Most of the time leases are 1 year but 6 months also happens occasionally. Then it automatically becomes month-to-month at a rent controlled price until tenant leaves. Which in some cases it can be 30+ years. I know people that lived in the same place for nearly that long and pay barely 1/3 of their apartment's market rental price. And the only thing a landlord can do by law is to pay them off (up to $100K now) to get out. Of course some landlords do clever things to get tenants out one way or another but it often backfires on them because the city hates landlords, lol.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:08 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yeah I’m with the poster you’re responding to. In California if you’re over 62, as well those under that age with certain disabilities, your whole tax bill will be “paid” by the state and it becomes a lien when you sell, or title gets transferred after you die. All other cases it takes 5 years of not paying before it goes to auction. Grandma is not getting kicked out.
Texas too. Once I proved my disability, my taxes went from 4k to $1,600 or I could not pay at all (as a senior) and have the tax lien.

Pretty nice down here with $45 annual property taxes. On a luxury beachfront condo, lol.

I made tons of mistakes in my past, but buying a home in Mission Viejo, CA at age 21 was not one of them.
That started the ball rolling.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We never really own it as we'll pay property taxes until we sell.
Just wondering. Do you think you own your car? After all, you must pay license fees in order to drive it on the streets and highways. And in most states, you also are required to have some minimum level of insurance. So, do you OWN a car?

Old 07-24-2021, 06:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You don’t own it until it’s paid off.
Except for property taxes. The place where I am typing from was purchased back in the day (cash) for less than the current annual taxes. When will it be owned, and by whom?

Old 07-24-2021, 07:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Except that's not the way it normally works. Once a tenant completes their 12-month lease (or actually a little before), the landlord will present a tenant with a NEW 12-month lease, many times at an increased cost, and the tenant has the choice of either re-upping for another year or packing up and finding a new place to live.

LOL at thinking that tenants just have to "fulfill" one 12-month lease and then can just continue to stay in perpetuity on a month-to-month basis.

Maybe things were different when I was younger. When I had fulfilled the 6 month lease, and had paid my rent on time 100% and was obviously not damaging the apartment or otherwise making a nuisance of myself, in several rental properties I was allowed to go month to month. This was in the early 80's.

Of course the rent could be increased in any given month, but, since I was easy to get along with, in fact they never did that. I guess if I had stayed years the rent would eventually have gone up.

These apartments were not in "red hot" markets, at least not at the time.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:18 PM

3,275 posts, read 1,751,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
No, you never 'own' your own home/property, you are merely renting it from the State. If you don't pay your 'rent' (property tax) they boot you out and 'sell' it to someone else who *will* pay it.
Here's the only person in this thread who knows who really owns your house ! The state will not only seize your home at gunpoint , they'll throw you in prison just to show you who's the boss and teach you a lesson.

Taxation is theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate