Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Just wondering. Do you think you own your car? After all, you must pay license fees in order to drive it on the streets and highways. And in most states, you also are required to have some minimum level of insurance. So, do you OWN a car?
yes,we do own the car or the one who has the car title does.but we dont own the street,the city takes care of the street,then we need to pay the city for such privilege of driving on the street.
if just roll it back and forth between garage and driveway,we own the car and pay nothing to the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 07:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
whether we own our home or not,i mean if there is no mortgage,we still have to pay taxes,if subdiv,then maintenance fee,utilities are higher,things breakdown and we have to deal with.
besides money,there is also stress and time.and mistakes.

if we rent ,we pay say $1k a month,heating and A/C could be included,so is water and gas.
so all we have is electricity ,insurance for personal property inside the unit,we dont have t o [ay someone to mown our lawn,rid bugs and fungus,look for fireants,snakes,termites,bats and wasps.
Oh garbage pickup dates,we dont have to remember which day we have to roll our garabage ca n to the curb.
Parking would be extra though.
once I ponder if I should just check into a hotel,some have those long term arrangement,you get a room with bathroom,small fridge,coffee maker,TV/cable ,extension landline,heat and A/C included,morning coffee bar,swimming pool,sit in the bar or lounge .
and maid service too.
no cooking,no cleaning,free cable.free phone.no property tax,

Old 07-24-2021, 07:34 PM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times
How many people who think they don't own property they own pay credit card interest?

Too many Americans need some financial enlightenment, and claiming not to own a home they own is just a confirmation of that fact.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:20 PM

182 posts, read 76,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You don’t own it until it’s paid off.
Umm, In the US, you still don't really own it even after the house got paid off, in my POV. In the states with the high property taxes like NY, NJ, IL, WI, etc.. people still obligated to pay 5k -15k yearly. If some people unable to make the payments, they can lose the houses.

Move to some countries where property taxes are insignificant, then you really own your house.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hogwash.

If you don't own it, I can take it.

She doesn't own the house. Neither do you. So you are not in the position to take away the house from her, lol.

However, she has " the right to use the property", so as long as she fulfill her obligations (paying property tax, following all the rules and regulations regarding housing operation), then she can stay in the house and sell " the right to use the house" to someone else as she wishes.

When she stops/ unable to pay the tax money, the ownership/ the right to use the property will be invalid, and the city/county can take her house away, although the money she owns is way too small comparing to the property's value.

Watch the movie " House of Sand and fog", ignoring the expected drama in a movie, there are a few things we can learn from it.

I always think realtors will always tell house buyers that they own their houses regarding any circumstance and it's understandable as I might do the same if I were a realtor. Before the housing crash 2008, tons of people (with low credit scores, barely had any money in the bank, high risk of defaulting on loans...), who later ran away from those houses, I bet they got told " Congratulations. This is the key(s) of your house" by their realtor when they handed them the house's keys.

The same can be happened for houses with HOA attached. That's why I never bought and will never buy any house with HOA.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Why does this bizarre philosophy of not owning something to which one holds the title pop up here every year or so? Is there some goofball website that promotes this nonsense periodically?

Old 07-24-2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why does this bizarre philosophy of not owning something to which one holds the title pop up here every year or so? Is there some goofball website that promotes this nonsense periodically?

This kind of thread popped up here every year/ once a year? Thank you for letting me know as I only infrequently follow this message board.

I guess the people who created these similar threads don't read CD forum on a regular basis, so they didn't see those threads when they were active. Neither did those many posters who participated cause they did not search for similar threads when they saw one, but, unlike you, they happened to think the threads were interesting enough/related enough to their situations to post in?

Old 07-25-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
yes,we do own the car or the one who has the car title does.but we dont own the street,the city takes care of the street,then we need to pay the city for such privilege of driving on the street.
if just roll it back and forth between garage and driveway,we own the car and pay nothing to the city

Good post.

I think if you have a house with some land, like a small farm, then you totally own it and can drive that car/ truck back and forth inside that land, not just on your driveway, and only have to pay for gas. But of course people want to use those vehicles to go to other places on government's roads too, so insurance, registration fee are needed in order to keep things fair, safe, and under control.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:22 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Both . Even empty lots are taxed and taken and auctioned off
Well, I know that!
My thoughts just went to whether or not one could take the drastic move of relocating the house if the property was up for tax sale.
Furthering that, if one built a garage, for instance, after the last assessment, would it be truly only yours?

Old 07-25-2021, 04:54 AM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
LOL
Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBQEgg11 View Post
This kind of thread popped up here every year/ once a year? Thank you for letting me know as I only infrequently follow this message board.

I guess the people who created these similar threads don't read CD forum on a regular basis, so they didn't see those threads when they were active. Neither did those many posters who participated cause they did not search for similar threads when they saw one, but, unlike you, they happened to think the threads were interesting enough/related enough to their situations to post in?
Yes, it seems to be an annual sort of thing.
Actually, I tend to believe that no one is this stupid, and it is just kids having fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate