Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 08:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it's because these areas are still relatively inexpensive compared to other parts of the country without being completely isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 09:17 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Anyway, I doubt if there is any completely safe place to live, but I just wondered why people would move to a place where the second most important ingredient to life (the first being air) might be in very short supply.
Because by the time it becomes a life-threatening crisis for me personally, I'll be dead.

We lived in Phoenix-area for 25+ years and wouldn't hesitate to move back.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:37 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
I don't think this map is particularly accurate, at least for the drought portion of it anyway. It shows most of CA as low to moderate risk for drought. CA has been in a state of drought for many years and it's only getting worse. And it shows the southeast as the highest risk for drought, and yet we have rain every couple days all summer long, and sometimes rain in great abundance! I wonder if they know what a drought is?

Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for all the answers so far -- very informative!

However, just to ask this -- I remember about 20 years ago or so (I might be wrong about the timeframe) that in SoCal, people were REALLY being asked to conserve water -- for example, water in restaurants only upon request and regarding toilet use, "if it's yellow, let it mellow, and if it's brown, flush it down". I just would have thought that if there was a "crisis" 20 years ago, it would not be any better today.
You may hear about conserve water, conserve electricity ad campaigns, but when you actually live here, none of that affects your daily life. I still water my lawn and my water bill is no higher. Turn on the faucet and seemingly unlimited water still comes out. The drought affects the farmers but it's also the farmers using most of the water.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:27 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I don't think this map is particularly accurate, at least for the drought portion of it anyway. It shows most of CA as low to moderate risk for drought. CA has been in a state of drought for many years and it's only getting worse. And it shows the southeast as the highest risk for drought, and yet we have rain every couple days all summer long, and sometimes rain in great abundance! I wonder if they know what a drought is?
Well that’s simply not true. This is the first time a drought has been declared in 5 years. There’s only been a handful of significant years going back to the mid 70’s when they really started tracking it, and paleoclimate records over the last thousand years show it’s constantly fluctuating.

https://water.ca.gov/water-basics/drought

Old 07-26-2021, 11:32 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
You may hear about conserve water, conserve electricity ad campaigns, but when you actually live here, none of that affects your daily life. I still water my lawn and my water bill is no higher. Turn on the faucet and seemingly unlimited water still comes out. The drought affects the farmers but it's also the farmers using most of the water.
Exactly. People wised up and realized they don’t need to keep pee/poo sitting in the toilet when the farmers use the same amount to grow 1 nut. Small independent farmers feel the crunch, but the large corporate farms that now own the Central Valley can keep using all the water to their heart’s content.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:58 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You also have to remember that water use is almost exclusively used for agriculture and to a lesser extent, industrial, in western states. Very little, even in huge population states like California is it used for residential, typically around 5% of the total consumption. So even a slight shift of usage to less water intensive crops for one thing would make a huge difference to the availability of water, especially treated, to a state’s viability of providing enough for its citizens in a balanced, well thought out distribution system.

This is my perception (as a person now living in the Southwest).

And now time for howaboutit

how about tornadoes, earthquakes, Lyme disease, crime, right-wing terrorism, racism....

Old 07-26-2021, 01:17 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

how about tornadoes, earthquakes, Lyme disease, crime, right-wing terrorism, racism....
You can't forget humidity. Ugh.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

After last year's Summer of Love, I'll take the "right-wing terrorism" over the looting and the arson any day.

That said, I still prefer Florida over Arizona et al. Better politics and more fun entertainment options. But that's just me.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-26-2021 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 09:11 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
The reason houses are so expensive in southern Calif. is because the Democrats make it so expensive and difficult to build houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate