Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:07 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,283 times

Advertisements

yes it's dual agency, it's in the purchase contract that the listing agent is representing the buyer and seller.

I think calling the listing agent's broker and letting them see the accepted contract is probably the way to go.

Too bad things like this have to happen in a seller's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 12:09 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Listing agent is repping both seller and buyer. The listing agent said the seller "flipper" wants $640k.

The buyers agreed to pay $50k over list price and made the offer with listing agent.

Listing agent asks if buyers can come up on price to $650,000 and if they do, they will replace windows. Buyers agree.

Listing agent says sellers want a non refundable payment of $5000 after inspections.

Buyers complete inspections in 1 day and counter seller non refundable payment after appraisal.

Sellers sign and agree to buyers counter.

Listing agent comes back saying she has another offer for $10k more. Can we come up another $10k dollars because it's not fair to the sellers. Listing agent said sellers did not have to agree to new windows and they are losing profit.

Buyers say no more money, seller agreed to contract. Dual listing agent says no seller has no signed contract and is not opening escrow.

Buyers show signed contract by seller and say yes the offer was accepted. No reply from dual agent.

What to do?
Have a real estate attorney review the contract pronto and, if legitimate, have the attorney send a letter to the listing agent/broker. A contract is a contract whether the listing agent was representing you or not.

Seller's profit is listing agent's problem; if need be, a commission reduction might be in order.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:37 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
yes it's dual agency, it's in the purchase contract that the listing agent is representing the buyer and seller.

I think calling the listing agent's broker and letting them see the accepted contract is probably the way to go.

Involving the broker in charge is a wise move. I hope it works out for you. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out! So often we get left hanging.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:01 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Jack,
We don't even know if the OP is actually in dual agency.
I think not.
The OP says an "advisory" was signed. I believe that is a disclosure, not an agency agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Jack, you assume much.
I took this at face value when I made my comment.

Quote:
Listing agent is repping both seller and buyer.
And here it is again:

Quote:

Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
An agent might work even harder to improve the deal for a flipper because they mean repeat business.

My last agent didn't represent the seller, but tried to get us to give him a good deal (so he'd maybe throw future business her way) to the extent that she offered to clean the yard herself instead of insisting he do it as the contract specified. I had to be quite insistent about some things.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
They don't. Just don't ever agree to dual agency. It's already illegal in some states, and IMHO, should be in all states. (Strong statement, I know. And I expect to be slammed for it.)

Yeah, I know some realtors will disagree (I'm looking at you, MikeJ). And I'm sure that a handful of realtors have the ethics, morals and integrity to handle it fairly (I'm looking at you, MikeJ). But the average consumer won't know the good players from the bad players, and they probably shouldn't be expected to.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
if the counter was signed by the Seller - that is a contract. If you have any questions, please direct them to a local to the property real estate attorney.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:07 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Have a real estate attorney review the contract pronto and, if legitimate, have the attorney send a letter to the listing agent/broker. A contract is a contract whether the listing agent was representing you or not.

Seller's profit is listing agent's problem; if need be, a commission reduction might be in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Involving the broker in charge is a wise move. I hope it works out for you. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out! So often we get left hanging.
Based on the information provided, this agent lied to you. You can start with an attorney, or you can start with their Broker-in-charge, but you're probably done with the agent themselves.

You can show an attorney the contract you have, and they'll give some opinion on its validity. Or you can go to the BIC and ask them "does this seem like a valid contract?" (in which case the attorney fee goes on their side).

Old 07-28-2021, 10:15 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They don't. Just don't ever agree to dual agency. It's already illegal in some states, and IMHO, should be in all states. (Strong statement, I know. And I expect to be slammed for it.)

Yeah, I know some realtors will disagree (I'm looking at you, MikeJ). And I'm sure that a handful of realtors have the ethics, morals and integrity to handle it fairly (I'm looking at you, MikeJ). But the average consumer won't know the good players from the bad players, and they probably shouldn't be expected to.
there are different types of dual agency though.

I would certainly agree that a Buyer who doesn't have a relationship with the agent before a particular house avoid dual agency.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:44 AM

43,268 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Yeah, I know some realtors will disagree (1. I'm looking at you, MikeJ). And I'm sure that a handful of realtors have the ethics, morals and integrity to handle it fairly (2. I'm looking at you, MikeJ). But the average consumer won't know the good players from the bad players, and they probably shouldn't be expected to.

1. Eh.
I don't really disagree terribly. All my clients, buyers and sellers, sign off declining dual agency in the agency agreements. I have that choice highlighted in the templates.
We revisit if needed, but it is so seldom necessary that it hardly comes up. I wouldn't care if dual agency was illegal in NC.

I sometimes work with unrepresented buyers who come to my listings. They have to satisfy me that they are competent. I won't work directly with some people, but tell them to get an agent or attorney for representation. Language barriers, in particular, worry me.

I had buyers in the palm of my hand at an open house a couple of years ago, and asked my lender to find an agent for them. Nice folks. We closed.
It's often the best way to proceed.

2. Thanks for the compliment. I tend to agree. I think I could handle it fairly within the constraints of law and ethics. I just don't need to dance with the issues that come with dual agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate