Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 08:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times

Advertisements

Get ready for some premium increases, Florida and other at-risk areas. It ain't gonna be pretty.

FEMA Overhauls National Flood Insurance Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 09:57 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
That seems fine. Why should we subsidize risky building?

Old 08-18-2021, 01:51 PM

779 posts, read 424,674 times
From the article it sounds like right now the system isn't very balanced. People with lower value homes and/or lower flood risk paying the same as those with higher value homes and/or higher flood risk.

"Right now, the owner of a $1 million Florida home and the owner of a $200,000 Montana home are paying the same rates for insurance"

I think it's good they're updating it to better account for home values (or replacement cost) and risk levels. Personally I'm not keen on buying a place that'd require flood insurance. But if I did I don't want to be paying the same as someone with a much more expensive house in a higher risk area.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:53 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
From the article it sounds like right now the system isn't very balanced. People with lower value homes and/or lower flood risk paying the same as those with higher value homes and/or higher flood risk.

"Right now, the owner of a $1 million Florida home and the owner of a $200,000 Montana home are paying the same rates for insurance"

I think it's good they're updating it to better account for home values (or replacement cost) and risk levels. Personally I'm not keen on buying a place that'd require flood insurance. But if I did I don't want to be paying the same as someone with a much more expensive house in a higher risk area.
Value should not matter, it is replacement cost that counts. That home in MT can easily cost more to replace than the home in FL.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:12 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Risk is what matters.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Risk is what matters.
Accuracy would be nice also, considering them revamping this is telling me they were not accurate over the last 50 years. And some realistic probabilities as well; I live in a "once in a hundred years" area, yet there is no documented flood in my area with records going back to the late 1800's. There has never even been standing water here despite the hurricanes and even record rain fall from Irma.

Lastly, the local gov prides itself on taxing the value of my property, a value in which is determined by its location. What needs to happen is a formula assigned to how much value the location adds to value, the flood risk, and either I or the local gov should have to divert that money to the flood insurance program.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Value should not matter, it is replacement cost that counts. That home in MT can easily cost more to replace than the home in FL.
As twingles said, risk matters, too. If the home in Florida is ten times more likely to have a flood claim shouldn't their premium be higher even if replacement cost is the same?

Old 08-19-2021, 06:05 AM

53 posts, read 59,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
As twingles said, risk matters, too. If the home in Florida is ten times more likely to have a flood claim shouldn't their premium be higher even if replacement cost is the same?
Yes, assuming that "risk" is also weighing past history of actual floods. As noted,some homes in "high risk" areas have never had floods, which suggests the risk may not be as extreme as elevation would imply.

(That said, I weighed the flood risk, and opted for a house 42' above sea level just to be safe, so....lol)

Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
A town's flood mitigation score also affects premiums, i.e., a home in a town with poor water drainage systems will have a lower mitigation score.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,572,579 times
Flood areas can change over time. Construction in the surrounding areas or upstream can make an area that was not prone to flood right smack in the flood zone.

Happened in my area when a condominium complex was constructed nearby. All of the new construction (concrete, foundations, parking areas, streets, etc.) and the removal of the grass and trees caused a number of homes nearby to be in a new flood zone.

Don't buy near a flood zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate