Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 04:09 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd call the electric utility that serves that street, maybe send them a couple of photos and the address, and ask them what this is.
Granted that I can't say with any certainty but I agree that this looks like some type of water pumping station and nothing to do with electric utilities. Is there a pool nearby ?? Until the OP gets confirmation of what it is, no need to start contacting utilities at random.

Contact the property or building manager for more information first. We can only speculate and that won't help the OP get an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 04:21 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Granted that I can't say with any certainty but I agree that this looks like some type of water pumping station and nothing to do with electric utilities. Is there a pool nearby ?? Until the OP gets confirmation of what it is, no need to start contacting utilities at random.
I suggested the power company because whatever it is uses electricity and needed their infrastructure installed/inspected in order to become operational.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:36 PM

58 posts, read 95,892 times
Thanks for the replies. This is a gated townhome community and there is a pool somewhere inside. It is not on the townhome property but behind a small parking lot that is across the street from the garage. There are 2 bedrooms facing it and I could definitely hear the humming loudly inside one of the rooms. The unit is nice because it is a corner unit and it is very convenient in walking distance to restaurants and stores nearby which are on the opposite side of the building so I was very interested. Of course there is a catch and I have to think is part of why it hasn't been rented already.

Last edited by gz390; 08-23-2021 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 05:25 PM

2,140 posts, read 362,475 times
Are you attracted by getting a good deal? This could be why. Out of curiosity, I’d do a Google map search - satellite view.

When I was looking for a place I googled environmental hazards, brownfields, superfund sites - in my general valley-wide area, they’re all over the place. I looked at one place that my friend and I drove around the area trying to find a grocery store. We found a huge dairy farm. Stanky… the price of the place reflected that. Search here! I think I did that. Without being too specific. It’s a place to start.

I have a power station within walking distance, it’s behind a 2 story cement-brick wall. Only recently, from the opposite side of me, I hear a very high pitched sound. It doesn’t happen often and it sounds like it’s maybe half a mile away, so it’s not loud enough to be really bothersome, but I don’t like it. Sounds like it’s coming from somewhere close to the Fire Station. Maybe it’s from a cleaning device. I don’t know. There was nothing else I could afford, and I spent months and hours most days trying to find a place. I found (literally, I think) the cheapest place in the region. I couldn’t afford to “downsize” if I wanted to, so I had to ignore the power station. I haven’t googled the possible risks, if any because it doesn’t matter. I love my condo. I don’t ever want to move and even if I did I couldn’t afford it.

I’m near an Air Force base, and the jet exercises are pretty loud. I love them. I imagine the young pilots so jazzed about it. They practice formation flying - 2-4 jets at a time. Don’t tell anyone, but I say “Good Morning!” to them. Shhh…

If I can find the site I used, I’ll post it.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2021, 05:36 PM

6,011 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
Thanks for the replies. This is a gated townhome community and there is a pool somewhere inside. It is not on the townhome property but behind a small parking lot that is across the street from the garage. There are 2 bedrooms facing it and I could definitely hear the humming loudly inside one of the rooms. The unit is nice because it is a corner unit and it is very convenient in walking distance to restaurants and stores nearby which are on the opposite side of the building so I was very interested. Of course there is a catch and I have to think is part of why it hasn't been rented already.
BINGO! Others heard the same thing that you hear and decided to pass. That's why it's vacant. If you can hear the sound of the pumps easily during the day, then it will sound like a freight train going by outside your window during the night. Ear plugs would help some, but it's hard to block out that low frequency sound completely. It goes right through the walls and perhaps even sets up a sympathetic vibration inside the walls and the structure of the building itself.

Did you ever feel a floor vibrate/shake when big speakers are turned up really loud? That's sympathetic vibration. Earplugs don't help much if any with sympathetic vibration because the sound is actually "felt" more so than just "heard". Of course, hearing is vibration inside our head, so it's all related to vibration.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:14 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
...they didn't seem to know what it was. They said they could ask someone to turn it off and that it was temporary
I don't know what those things are, but this is a really strange thing for your landlord to say.

Second most bizarre thing I've heard all week.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-23-2021 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 11:13 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
So it's a rather simple decision. If it's not on the property, then assume the landlord likely has little to no ability (and/or desire) to do anything to mitigate the noise. So bottom line is, assume the current noise level is as GOOD as it gets (i.e. it could get worse, or at best, never get any better), and base your decision on that assumption. Do the positives you mention outweigh the negative of the noise? Such things are very personal, some folks can compartmentalize noise (e.g. those nice expensive houses that are right off of major highways, but have nice views), others can't.
That said, another thing to consider, if you can deal with the noise, is to negotiate a better deal for the unit based on the noise. Tell the landlord how you love the unit but the noise will be "problematic" but if they could "knock xx dollars" off of the rent, then you'd pull the trigger (or something similar). If the primary reason that the unit is sitting is the noise, you may have some leverage.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
I wouldn’t rent there.. not with constant noise and so close to a retail building.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
LOL I thought you were describing screaming kids.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:33 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
I just looked at the picture again and there seems to be a sign on the fence around the unit. Maybe it says who the owner is or an 'for emergencies call nnn-nnn-nnnn' That you could call and see who answers (I'm not suggesting you make something up but if you were to say you smelled a rotten egg smell coming from it or smoke coming from the control panel it might be interesting to see who responds)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate