Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 07:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times

Advertisements

^^^I am of the albert648 school of thought. Unless something affects you directly, minding your own business is always best (when in doubt)

What would you do OP bande1102?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 07:51 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
None of your business.

Thats literally how you die. Keep to yourself and MYOB.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:54 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
None of your business.

Thats literally how you die. Keep to yourself and MYOB.
Yep. Absent something posing a threat to me, I'm not getting involved. What the neighbor is doing is wrong, but I'm not getting involved. Don't want to deal with any drama.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
hot debate in my circle of friends: would you report someone you knew was wrongly claiming a homestead property tax exemption? The property tax savings is significant.
You may not have the entire, or real story, ...

Unless you are willing to personally confront the offender...

I would let karma work it out, as disclosing something you might be lacking the information to keep you out of jail, lawsuit, or it the end of the barrel of a shotgun.

Better safe than sorry these days.

2 retired LEO neighbors got into a duel over a trivial thing.
One is dead, the other in prison.

Not a great way to spend retirement.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. Absent something posing a threat to me, I'm not getting involved. What the neighbor is doing is wrong, but I'm not getting involved. Don't want to deal with any drama.
Yeah remember OP.. you risk losing ALL of your friends for this. If someone in my friend group reports someone for this or if I find out, I would cut all ties with you.

Homestead issue turns into reporting a 12 year old for using Facebook which turns into back stabbing other people etc etc. Nah.

Like seriously you never learned to MYOB? Its 2021.

I cant wrap my head around this. You want to report your friend because he lowered his tax bill? Envious it sounds like.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:04 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah remember OP.. you risk losing ALL of your friends for this. If someone in my friend group reports someone for this or if I find out, I would cut all ties with you.

Homestead issue turns into reporting a 12 year old for using Facebook which turns into back stabbing other people etc etc. Nah.

Like seriously you never learned to MYOB? Its 2021.

I cant wrap my head around this. You want to report your friend because he lowered his tax bill? Envious it sounds like.
See something , say something.

IF you turn a blind eye, then you are in essence are an accessory to the crime.

MYOB is what creates the falsehood that Crimes pays.

I'm of the habit of having 100% certainty BEFORE I make a call on the matter.

I'd be pleased if a Friend did cut off ties after I reported them, I tend not to hang with such persons. White collar or blue collar crime. Doesn't make a difference.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:09 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I'd be pleased if a Friend did cut off ties after I reported them, I tend not to hang with such persons. White collar or blue collar crime. Doesn't make a difference.
Respectfully, I disagree. People have no obligation to report someone and aren't to blame for others' misdeeds.

If I see a crime that is injurious to someone's physical well-being (or threatens my own), I'll take appropriate actions, even if that's only making an anonymous complaint.

I'm curious if your efforts to get involved include reporting a neighbor that you observe going five miles over the speed limit (or 10 or 15 mph over the limit)?

Or if you choose to call the police when you see a neighbor jaywalking contrary to the law?

Or if someone flies the flag contrary to the flag code?

Curious to hear your responses to this, but ultimately in my experience things are rarely black and white for people on this topic.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:24 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I wouldn't report it, but I'm curious enough that I would probably get on the county website and look up the actual records to see if it's true.

Maybe there's some reason why he qualifies for it that you aren't aware of.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

See something say something is the equivalent of make my ego bigger but do nothing to help the situation. Just throw it off on someone else.

You probably are scamming the system one way or another whether you know it or not…

Old 08-31-2021, 07:48 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
In most situations where a homestead is being incorrectly claimed it's relatively easy to tell. A couple examples:

House is empty much of the year and when the owners are there the cars have out of state license plates.

House is visibly a rental. This is especially apparent if a jurisdiction has licensing requirements for rentals.

Maryland had a mass "register your house correctly" period several years ago. Just one County, Montgomery, discovered that it had more than 80,000 house incorrectly labeled as "Owner Occupied" with the owners claiming a Homestead exemption.

In Maryland that's important. Owner Occupied houses come under the state's Homestead Exemption which limits property tax increases to no more than 10% a year (some Counties and Municipalities are less under a local option) while rentals/investment properties are liable for the full cycled in assessment, therefore property tax, increase applied over three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate