Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 09:38 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Now that we have the whole story... yea, leave that alone, Karen. I can't even comprehend a reason to do this.
Agree. Wondering if the "report it" folks will change their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 09:44 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
In Texas, the homestead emexption isn't really worth much in the grand scheme of things. Better than nothing, but not really significant. What IS significant is when people have huge improvements done without the proper permits that would have triggered an appraisal review. I know of two cases (same individual) that cost the county/city/school district nearly $50,000 in property taxes over the years (that $50K isn't a typo). And the way I understand it, if the appraisal district misses the 3000sf addition for 10 years, they can't go back and get those monies. I expect the new owners got a big surprise when they got THEIR first tax statement... because the sale generated paperwork.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm on team report the tax cheat, but after my friend moves out.

My friend, the renter, is planning to report the landlord after she moves.

Two other friends want to report him now (the landlord is an a***).

Meanwhile, we all want to know if our friend who actually deserves the exemption can somehow get it retroactively? Doubtful, I suppose. But at least, she'll save money moving forward.
If I remember correctly you're in Maryland. The answer is NO, the Homestead Exemption can not be applied retroactively.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:48 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Has the landlord been good to your friend? So turn in the landlord but not your friend, am I getting that right?
In the first case the landlord rents to a friend.

In the second a different friend did not file for the Homestead Exemption. She does need to file for it.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:55 AM

860 posts, read 438,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Well, that adds another layer to things. Reporting the friend's landlord could result in an even higher rent increase for the friend. Would you want to be responsible for that?
Yes, landlord would have to increase rents to cover tax increases. But landlord is still cheating. I am a landlord and I know better. There are tax cheats everywhere. Makes you feel like the fool when you’re the one following the rules.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:21 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have one for you: my own mother sold her NY house at something over 10x her original purchase price and when she saw the capital gains tax, she skipped on it and moved to FL. She even asked the tax preparers what would happen if she did and they were aghast, not recommending that course of action at all, but nothing would happen except that there would be a lien against her in NY and any property she owned could be garnished (if that's the right term) and wages she earned. As that was not in the least likely to happen, she blew off out of state and left me and everyone else in NY on the hook for her portion.

I was going to report her until I found out there was really no penalty, so what would have been the point?
I think this is a deeper question then right or wrong. What's going on between you and mom? The irs will get their money, they always do.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:54 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
So here's the rest of the story:

A group of us were talking about housing costs.

One friend rents and was concerned about an upcoming increase.

Another friend owns and said her property taxes were increasing so quickly that she didn't know if she'd be able to afford her house.

At that point, I asked if she (the property owner) had claimed the homestead exemption. She didn't know. Property records are online and public, you can see purchase price, homestead exemption status, dates, etc. She had not claimed the exemption so was happy about upcoming savings.

Meanwhile, my renter friend decided to look up her property address. The landlord is claiming the exemption which is obviously wrong.

Regarding the anonymity: our county is actively looking for those wrongly claiming the exemption. They have a very simple, anonymous, online portal.
Yep. I would.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
Quote:
So here's the rest of the story:

A group of us were talking about housing costs.

One friend rents and was concerned about an upcoming increase.

Another friend owns and said her property taxes were increasing so quickly that she didn't know if she'd be able to afford her house.

At that point, I asked if she (the property owner) had claimed the homestead exemption. She didn't know. Property records are online and public, you can see purchase price, homestead exemption status, dates, etc. She had not claimed the exemption so was happy about upcoming savings.

Meanwhile, my renter friend decided to look up her property address. The landlord is claiming the exemption which is obviously wrong.

Regarding the anonymity: our county is actively looking for those wrongly claiming the exemption. They have a very simple, anonymous, online portal.
Isn’t that a breach of the landlord’s end of the lease- the landlord isn’t operating his or her rental properties in accordance with applicable law?

I’d report the landlord AND sue the landlord in small claims court or housing court for breach of the lease, listing the landlord’s illegal tax methods in the complaint. That would be fun.

Last edited by GSPNative; 08-31-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-31-2021, 02:43 PM

789 posts, read 368,583 times
Quote:

I always wondered how the Stasi and KGB got so many "tips"...

Here's the reverse side of the original question - Is there anything you wouldn't report your neighbor for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
So, it's bad if he cheats, but we'll let it slide if the friend gets a benefit from it?

I could be convinced that that is even more morally dubious.

If it's about "doing the right thing," one's personal stake shouldn't play into the equation.
Just went back and read the rest of the thread. Superfly hit the nail on the head.

If you've convinced yourself that it's the right thing to do - do it immediately and let come what may for your friend's rent.

If you don't, it's beyond morally dubious - you're just petty and looking to assuage your guilt by telling yourself you're "doing the right thing".

Last edited by edglock21; 08-31-2021 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added another quote

Old 08-31-2021, 02:49 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
No. It's none of my business. Whatever tax cheating that happens is between that homeowner, the DA, and the County.
My understanding is that the general property tax rate is determined by their calculation of what they will take in from property taxes weighed against the cost of running the local government/city etc.

If a person is cheating on property taxes, the calculation for how much property tax is taken in will be reduced and again weighed against the cost of running the local government/city etc. So the government will be forced to increase the general tax rate which impacts EVERYONE in that municipality.

If enough people do it, it can have a significant increase on everyone else's property tax including yours. So ... no.... it is actually your business as it is you, in part, will be making up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate