Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 05:35 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I know this because the government has a long and storied track record of spending more and more and more money for worse and worse outcomes. Just look at the public school system for starters.
Schools reflect their communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 06:30 AM

789 posts, read 368,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Because normally they wouldn't be able to take an exemption on their current home they occupy and thus they would contribute more to municipalities take on property taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Then the landlord wouldn't be able to take an exemption on the house where she currently lives. You can get only one owner-occupied reduction.

So the government's coffers would go up by the additional tax payment on the landlord's current house.
Has it been established that the landlord lives in the same municipality?

If so, you're correct.

If not, and he lives in another state, then you're wrong. There would be exactly zero difference in the money collected.

And the guy is probably claiming the exemption there too, if it exists

Also, to return to original topic/question - is OP going to do the right thing or wait to "do the right thing" when it won't affect his friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
If you've convinced yourself that it's the right thing to do - do it immediately and let come what may for your friend's rent.

If you don't, it's beyond morally dubious - you're just petty and looking to assuage your guilt by telling yourself you're "doing the right thing".

Last edited by edglock21; 09-01-2021 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: getting back on topic

Old 09-01-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
Has it been established that the landlord lives in the same municipality?

If so, you're correct.

If not, and he lives in another state, then you're wrong. There would be exactly zero difference in the money collected.

And the guy is probably claiming the exemption there too, if it exists

Also, to return to original topic/question - is OP going to do the right thing or wait to "do the right thing" when it won't affect his friend?
As to "what state" in a lot of cases it will depend on the states and where residency is claimed. We have a number of snowbirds here who claim residency in Florida so their Maryland houses aren't Homestead exempted although their Florida ones are.

The main reason they do that is for the state income tax, Maryland taxes pensions while Florida doesn't. With the recent insane run up in house prices here that may come back to bite them on the property taxes.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:20 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I would notify the county if I knew exemptions were being claimed improperly.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:26 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why especially now?
Now is the exact time to sympathize with landlords. They're getting hosed.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:33 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Now is the exact time to sympathize with landlords. They're getting hosed.
Agreed! Hence my question!

Old 09-03-2021, 12:22 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
No, I just walked into the county attorney's office with printouts of the addresses, where people were claiming to be owner occupants and handed them to her.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I would notify the county if I knew exemptions were being claimed improperly.
Here's another issue, especially when you start talking about vacation rentals without approval, you're essentially placing a commercial use in the middle of a residential area.

Get licensed and approved with the various conditions, pay any Lodging Tax imposed if it's a VRBO and it's can have problems but at least it's regulated and there's a process for enforcement.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why especially now?
yeah, 18 months of free 'Covid' rent!

Landlords with their own $$ "at risk" are really 'evil'.

OP... shelve it, you may not have the entire picture. (Likely not)

Old 09-04-2021, 12:15 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
I really hope your friend who’s renting is planning on moving out soon? I guarantee once the property owner gets a new tax bill they’ll be passing it onto your friend. When they complain about their rent being raised please tell them what you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate