Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 01:42 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times

Advertisements

Long story, but currently a hot debate in my circle of friends: would you report someone you knew was wrongly claiming a homestead property tax exemption? The property tax savings is significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 01:49 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,162 times
Probably the only reason you know this is that the person is an A**hole. If you are just a nosey Nancy let it go but if he is a jerk get on the phone!

Old 08-30-2021, 01:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Long story, but currently a hot debate in my circle of friends: would you report someone you knew was wrongly claiming a homestead property tax exemption? The property tax savings is significant.

I would definitely report the person. You lose a lot of weight if you do it anonymously, though.

Underpaying taxes is theft. "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's", even if Caesar is the county clerk.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:59 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
I would if I knew it to be a fact. That's money that's not being paid and it affects the community as a whole. Makes no difference whether the person is nice or a jerk, it's their obligation just as it's yours and mine.

RM

Old 08-30-2021, 03:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Some taxing agencies will not pursue an anonymous claim, but if you give up your identity, most are subject to public disclosure. So the "caught" party can request all records of emails/letters/calls reporting fraud during that time period and find out who you are.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:34 PM

865 posts, read 440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Would you report your neighbor’s house being burglarized? How is stealing from the general public any different?

Old 08-30-2021, 03:51 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Unless it's public knowledge by the tax collecting agency, I'd really have no valid proof one way or the other.

My county DOES report tax delinquency for properties..yet the names/owners are not listed.

Yet the homestead rebate is not something known to each neighbor to have listed on a registry..

Old 08-30-2021, 03:59 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Unless it's public knowledge by the tax collecting agency, I'd really have no valid proof one way or the other.

My county DOES report tax delinquency for properties..yet the names/owners are not listed.

Yet the homestead rebate is not something known to each neighbor to have listed on a registry..
Conversely, I can go online right now and tell you every single homesteaded property in my county if I wanted. All depends on the locality.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:36 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
Did the property owner in question disclose it or brag about it? Or, did you examine what the local county agency shows on a public information website and deduce this for yourself?

I ask because if you know it from them report it. If you deduce it from public records, make sure you are correct because some counties can be very lax in updating information on recent transfers. If the info reflects the homestead for longer than a year, report it. I have reported property owners who do not file rental disclosure on properties.

Different municipalities may have different levels of enforcement checks to go with reporting, but from my experience the county employees / departments responsible for recording are often overwhelmed or not the best at being thorough because it is usually based upon property owners self reporting.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:16 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
No. It's none of my business. Whatever tax cheating that happens is between that homeowner, the DA, and the County. I pay taxes for them to do their job so I don't have to. It's not my job to enforce the tax code - it's theirs. If they didn't and lost a bunch of tax money, that's on them. If they wrongfully granted the exemption in the first instance, that's also on the County.

Going on self-interest, I also want nothing to do with any investigation that might result, I don't want to go and testify or attend investigations or give statements. I also don't want any fallback, legally or socially, if I'm wrong. Plausible deniability.

Last edited by albert648; 08-30-2021 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate