Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on how motivated you are to sell. Seems, you're not in too much of a rush, so gamble away and let the chips fall where they may.

It's difficult for a home owner to distance themselves from "their home' and, naturally, everybody thinks theirs is "the best". There are tons of buyers out there, remember, scrutinizing the market and looking for the best deal.

Another thought: There's usually a lot of activity on new listings the first couple of weeks. After that period, the interest slows down and many homeowners are not as encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
We are in a similar situation. My advice is take it. The aggrevation and concern whether or not another offer will come along is not worth it. Definitely negotiate with them, see if they will come up in price, but work it out.

We had three offers on our house, with qualified buyers, but very low. We had a ton of interest in our house, and our realtor felt that we could get close or above asking. It now has been three months and we have not received offers even close to our asking, and we are in a buyers market!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
I'm going to be prudent here and say you may want to seriously consider taking that offer. $20k off your lowest price is not that much in your price range.

If you wait, you may be taking a serious gamble and that $20k could easily turn into $200k in a year. If you got a strong buyer now, I'd jump on it.
But that's me, however, I also just sold a home in this stink market.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
I would still counter, if you can support it with comps.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Going to get, and getting are two completely different things.

Sort of like the difference between fishing and catching.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Thanks everyone - I appreciate your thoughts. We do want to move, but do not have to move. We love our home and as our realtor has told us, it is the nicest house in the neighborhood and is priced right. We will stay rather than give it away. $20,000 is a lot to us - may not be to some, but it is $20,000 of our retirement money.

If we stay, we will stay until the market gets better which could be another 5 or 6 years....thanks again.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,521 times
Go for it! Counter with your minimum. Worst they say is "no". Nothing lost!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
My husband and I put our house on the market 7 days ago....we have had two different buyers attempt to get financing and fail. Yesterday our realtor called and said an offer was coming in for $20,000 below our minimum asking price (our house asking price is listed as a range - $599,900 to $629,000). The buyer would put 25% down and is solid financially.

Our house shows like a model home and is full of upgrades which makes it unusual in our market. It is highly unusual in our real estate market for a house to get this much attention.

Since we are retiring and need every penny we can get out of our home and since there has been so much interest and many showings in the week it has been listed, our inclination is to counter with the full low-end price of the listing price range. Our realtor seemed less than thrilled at this but then he wants to make a sale.

What would you do? Will countering with the full low-end price alienate the buyer? We are scheduled for an open house on both Sat. and Sun. of this coming weekend.

Would greatly appreciate your input.
Our agent priced our house about 30,000 more than it was worth because people always make a lower offer. Very seldom will a person pay what you're asking. Real estate in our area is very pricey anyway.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Well, we countered with our minimum low on the range - the buyer is solid - 7.8 fica score, a couple hundred thousand in the bank - but we have our bottom line and won't go below it - and he probably has his bottom line as well....we will see what happens.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-15-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We are in So. California - definitely a buyer's market here....however, exceptionally nice homes priced well are selling quickly....one house near us sold in 10 days and they got $20,000 more than their asking price (multiple bids). Home are selling - just selling very slowly - tons of fixers and vacant homes - this is one reason our house stands out - it truly is in move-in condition with great upgrades - I think our low-end price is really a fair price.
Counter with the lowest price. I wouldn't go for their offer as you have had a lot of interest on your home already and it is going to sale. You have until July to sale your house and it appears that will happen without you having to give up money. Counter. If they so no or walk away you can still go back to them an accept the first offer. Then there is no harm done.

Good luck and please do let us know how it turns out for you.

Dunroven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate