Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 05:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 3,745,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Chas863,

Homestead exemption in Florida is a little different than you explained. First thing is that there are NO age requirements to earn it. You can be any age and qualify for it, you don't have to be retired. The property must be in your name and the home must be lived in by the owner to keep the exemption. For instance, I was in my late 30's when I bought my first home and qualified for the exemption. I sold that home and bought another home a year later and qualified for the exemption on that home. However, when I started renting my home out and moved in with a family member I no longer qualified for the exemption on my home. I didn't have to payback retroactively any additional taxes because I no longer qualified.

Of course, taxes can differ state to state, county to county and city to city. What applies in one tax district may differ in another. I am only sharing my experience as a longtime Floridan.
You are correct about the age issue. I was wrong about there being an age requirement. Homestead Exemption in Florida does not require any certain age criteria be met. I don't think I said anything about being retired, at least I couldn't find it in my last post.

However, the point I was making still stands, and that is that people who qualify for Homestead Exemption are NOT required to pay it back once they vacate the house... unlike the grossly unfair land use classification that was/is the subject of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 05:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This should not be so challenging to grasp.
"Legally entitled to take" because they AGREED to the LEGAL terms when taking it.

Don't want to pay the LEGALLY agreed tax later? Don't take the deferral. Take the exemption. "Exemption" is NOT what the OP was talking about and not what was represented in the letter the OP quoted from 2006.
Precisely. The homestead exemption in Florida doesn't have to be paid back, unlike the land use exemption in some states that retroactively goes back 3 years and taxes the seller based on a HIGHER classification than what the state said was appropriate at the time.

The "exemption" in Florida is an exemption that's good until the day the seller vacates the property. The state doesn't try to go back and collect 3 years of excess taxes at the higher rate. The Homestead Tax Deferral program is an entirely different voluntary program even though the names are similar.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:11 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The whole concept of "roll back taxes" seems unfair and unjust to me. ... ...penalty that is imposed without any evidence that any violation has been committed. All taxes that were rightly due and payable have been paid.
Like I said, I think it's stupid. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect rollback taxes were introduced at the same time and as a concession for the tax deferral. I.E - We'll give you lower taxes as a tax deferment, but in exchange we have the right to collect X number of years of taxes upon reclassifying zoning.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:15 AM

162 posts, read 182,071 times
Default Update: Still no payment

This continues to be a real estate nightmare. When the closing attorney's staff tried to record the deed, they found the land description wasn't correct. So, they went back yesterday to record. It was submitted, but not recorded yesterday (and my brother had driven more than an hour to pick up the checks when he was told they should be ready early afternoon). It's been a week since we traveled from our respective cities to the closing, and we still haven't received payment for selling 40+ acres of land!!! And, the buyer hasn't received title for something he paid for a week ago! This has been a nightmare. I had said I would get a wire transfer for my share, but worry now that the (in my opinion) incompetence I've witnessed will lead to a mistake in that process too!

Sigh. Thanks for letting me vent. My best regards to all of you real estate agents who represent your clients well.

Last edited by newfie56; 09-16-2021 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-17-2021, 05:39 PM

162 posts, read 182,071 times
Thumbs up Payment received

Finally!

Old 09-17-2021, 06:02 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie56 View Post
Finally!
Congratulations !! I hope you can finally put this behind you. Best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate