Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:14 AM

162 posts, read 181,983 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate the guidance you all provided to an earlier question I had -- and now I have another one.
The closing for some jointly owned sibling property has been set for September 8, but we haven't yet seen the final documents (including survey). The listing agent said we should be able to pick up the checks on September 13. (It's more than a two-hour drive away.) I'm uncomfortable with the idea of signing closing papers, but not getting a check for five days. A trusted advisor told my sister not to go with a wire transfer because of increased fraud.

Is this unusual? Why can't we just get the check(s) at closing?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 08:26 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
With proper precautions, no reason not to do a wire transfer. I wouldn't trust the word of the listing agent. Speak directly with the closing agent. Sometimes mortgage lenders are slow to fund (like one day later) but 5 days later would be unacceptable to me. I've never had a closing that took that long to fund.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:40 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie56 View Post
A trusted advisor told my sister not to go with a wire transfer because of increased fraud.

Thanks in advance for your input.
When I signed the closing documents for my last house purchase, the title company gave me hardcopy instructions for the wire transfer. As long as you have instructions directly from the title company (i.e., not via email or some website) your wire transfer should be secure.

I personally wouldn't wait for a check either.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:42 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:

You should be talking to the title/escrow company person about that.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:17 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
I would definitely be cautious. We always received a check at closing until last year when we were told that a wire transfer is preferable. I was VERY nervous about that, but it went just fine.

In any case, I have NEVER heard of a delay in issuing closing checks.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:04 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
The fraud your friend mentioned is primarily a risk to buyers. They receive emailed wiring instructions that appear to come from their agent or closing agent but the account and routing belong to the scammer. Since you are receiving money (as I understand it) there is no real risk for you as long as you give the closer your correct info. I imagine the delay in getting a check is probably a worst case scenario taking into account postal timing. Actually, the worst case is that the check gets lost and a replacement could take much longer. I’d definitely go with the wire

Old 09-02-2021, 10:14 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
If it's a two hour drive for your agent could it be that they can't fit that into their schedule for 5 days? Did you ask your agent what the reason for the delay is? If you don't like their explanation then call the title company directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The fraud your friend mentioned is primarily a risk to buyers. They receive emailed wiring instructions that appear to come from their agent or closing agent but the account and routing belong to the scammer. Since you are receiving money (as I understand it) there is no real risk for you as long as you give the closer your correct info. I imagine the delay in getting a check is probably a worst case scenario taking into account postal timing. Actually, the worst case is that the check gets lost and a replacement could take much longer. I’d definitely go with the wire
I agree. Fraud is more of a risk for the person sending out the wire than the person receiving it. I always tell my clients to only give/accept wiring instructions over the phone. Most of the time fraud is done via email/text.

I would personally just have the funds wired and then you don't have to worry about waiting to receive a check.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
That's helpful to know, thanks. With the check, they're not mailing it. We have to drive two hours to go pick it up. I'm okay with the wire transfer, but there have been so many glitches along the way that I don't have confidence in the "professionals" we're working with on this... The buyers have an attorney, but the listing agent/realtor is having us represented by a "service." Maybe we should have officially gotten our own attorney...?

Old 09-02-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If it's a two hour drive for your agent could it be that they can't fit that into their schedule for 5 days? Did you ask your agent what the reason for the delay is? If you don't like their explanation then call the title company directly.

I agree. Fraud is more of a risk for the person sending out the wire than the person receiving it. I always tell my clients to only give/accept wiring instructions over the phone. Most of the time fraud is done via email/text.

I would personally just have the funds wired and then you don't have to worry about waiting to receive a check.
The agent just said she was asking the "attorneys" (plural) questions regarding the check and when the money would be available.

I wonder if we (the siblings/sellers) should have gotten our own attorney, and not trusted the listing agent to handle everything...

Old 09-02-2021, 11:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
The agent just said she was asking the "attorneys" (plural) questions regarding the check and when the money would be available.

I wonder if we (the siblings/sellers) should have gotten our own attorney, and not trusted the listing agent to handle everything...
One more time; "Call the closing agent/attorney/title company and ask when you can expect your wire/check." The listing agent is not the one cutting the checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate