Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 07:38 PM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Inside the beltway. Commuting grinds on you. Been there done that. Financially, as long as you are prudent in what you buy, it will increase in value.

I know you are many years away from retiring but I have several friends that owned houses just outside the beltway (Vienna and parts of Alexandria) and when it came time to retire, they sold and moved to cheaper areas of Virginia to live. They did well financially with that move.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Happening a lot in other parts of country Take the equity and run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 04:15 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
A large down payment ties up cash unnecessarily and only serves to reduce the bank's risk by making sure you have 'skin' in the game. The only things that matters to you is DTI (indicator of ability to make the payments). I would have put down $0 if my mortgage lender let me and I could afford the payments.
Just talked to a lender (he's a national bank lender so not a small mortgage broker), he will let me put down only 5% down payment for my next house.

Sure there's the PMI to deal with but it will go away once you pay down the mortgage, or the property appreciate to 80% LTV, whichever comes first. In my case, it will only be temporary (in-between purchase new house and selling old one).

Old 09-08-2021, 10:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
$500K will get you a small townhouse or condominium in Arlington, Virginia. If you’re okay with that amount of space, then I’d say go ahead and do it. Arlington is an excellent location.

I would caution you not to go into a less desirable area to try to get more space for that price point. You will end up regretting it.
+1. Location, location, location. You dramatically improve your quality of life by lowering your commute time and you get to make far better use of the city. You can certainly find 2 bedroom condos walkable to the Metro in Arlington for sub-$500k. If you do the math on the cost of a car, it might make sense to go car-free and rent when you need more than Uber.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Just talked to a lender (he's a national bank lender so not a small mortgage broker), he will let me put down only 5% down payment for my next house.

Sure there's the PMI to deal with but it will go away once you pay down the mortgage, or the property appreciate to 80% LTV, whichever comes first. In my case, it will only be temporary (in-between purchase new house and selling old one).
Yeah I wish I had put down 5% instead of 10%. My payment would only have been marginally higher, can't remember why I didn't. My PMI is basically a rounding error as far as the overall payment's concerned.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:05 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
A large down payment ties up cash unnecessarily and only serves to reduce the bank's risk by making sure you have 'skin' in the game. The only things that matters to you is DTI (indicator of ability to make the payments). I would have put down $0 if my mortgage lender let me and I could afford the payments.
Yep, with mortgage rates where they are/have been, the VA funding fee was well worth it to be able to put no money down, IMO.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:56 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,729 times
I think you are going to be very, very surprised how expensive outside the beltway is. Given your very high mortgage, I wouldn't consider a condo with fees that you have no control over. I would take a look at Reston before moving to Ashburn, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate