Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 09:41 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times

Advertisements

Will this change your property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 06:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't see why it would. Are you thinking about building a house around a tree yourself ?

Old 09-13-2021, 06:42 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't see why it would. Are you thinking about building a house around a tree yourself ?
Our house was a rental before we bought it. Taxes dropped 75% once it was owner occupied.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:45 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
In most jurisdictions he'd see a bump in property taxes, for one there's now two residential units where there used to be one.

In Maryland the calculations would be based on the owner occupied unit being one assessment base while the rental is another and not subject to the owner occupied cap.

Earlier someone said that Minneapolis had dropped a lot of the conditions for duplex conversion, mainly the off street parking requirements. That will come back to bite them in a fairly short time.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:18 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
The other thing OP needs to think about- and this is major- is impact on taxes at sale. Turning a single family into a rental has huge tax implications in terms of depreciation recapture and capital gains.

If OP plans not to inform the local gov't or the IRS that he is getting rental income- now that opens up a whole other can of worms- like tax fraud. There are also insurance and liability issues. A landlord cannot keep an owner occupied property policy.

Lots of considerations go into having rental property and even room mates. The OP really needs to get thoroughly educated if serious about becoming a landlord.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:17 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Please disregard this post, put it in the wrong thread. I can't delete it now.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:23 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The other thing OP needs to think about- and this is major- is impact on taxes at sale. Turning a single family into a rental has huge tax implications in terms of depreciation recapture and capital gains.

If OP plans not to inform the local gov't or the IRS that he is getting rental income- now that opens up a whole other can of worms- like tax fraud. There are also insurance and liability issues. A landlord cannot keep an owner occupied property policy.

Lots of considerations go into having rental property and even room mates. The OP really needs to get thoroughly educated if serious about becoming a landlord.
I don't want to become s full-time landlord. I simply want to rent out part of the (massive, for me as a single, at least) home to someone.

I mean my mortgage is like $790 a month. MrRational thinks I would be wise to sell the home, pocket all the equity and move to an apartment.

But where am I going to find an apartment that is less than $800 a month?

Of course when I factor in all my monthly expenses, my bills per month are about $1500 (that includes all things related to my car(s) which I use for work), but still, I don't know if it would be wise for me to sell the house currently and get into a small apartment.

Maybe it would be, but I definitely want to consider all my options before I moved on from the home.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:27 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I don't want to become s full-time landlord. I simply want to rent out part of the (massive, for me as a single, at least) home to someone.

I mean my mortgage is like $790 a month. MrRational thinks I would be wise to sell the home, pocket all the equity and move to an apartment.

But where am I going to find an apartment that is less than $800 a month?

Of course when I factor in all my monthly expenses, my bills per month are about $1500 (that includes all things related to my car(s) which I use for work), but still, I don't know if it would be wise for me to sell the house currently and get into a small apartment.

Maybe it would be, but I definitely want to consider all my options before I moved on from the home.
Right now you have appreciating asset. What would you have except a pile of rent receipts if you sold the house and then rented?

Old 09-13-2021, 09:31 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Right now you have appreciating asset. What would you have except a pile of rent receipts if you sold the house and then rented?
Yes.

I don't make a lot of money (roughly $20/hr) but I don't have a bunch of bills either, my credit is good and I have $75k in my checking account.

I think Mr.Rational thinks I don't make enough to make a mortgage work. I am not sure. I've always been pretty frugal - I've always been disgusted by the thought of having car-payments, for example.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:56 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I think Mr.Rational thinks ...
A) you should never have bought THAT property to begin with
B) everything else going on since has been about making up for that error
C) extract yourself from the problem property entirely -even at a loss if needed

Then...
D) if you NEED a housemate/tenant of some sort to make a budget work (and you do)...
E) choose a property that actually meets your needs, has those features/amenities required, from the outset
F) that choice does NOT have to mean a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate