Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 09:44 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times

Advertisements

It seems in the area we're targeting, the agents are pretty chatty...to the point of disclosing info that they maybe shouldn't. For example, when our buyer's agent contacted the listing agent on a property we're considering making an offer on -- just to see if it was still available -- the listing agent surprisingly (to us, anyway) gave way more than a simple yes/no answer. And our agent quoted the exact text she received from the listing agent. Disclosing that info seemed inappropriate to me, even though no dollar amounts were mentioned.

Now, after asking our agent to write up an offer for us, she has asked if we're okay with her contacting the listing agent to give our offer verbally. How would that benefit us in the negotiating process??? Seems like that would allow the seller's agent to contact the other potential buyer(s) and stir up multiple offers.

The house in question has been on the market for 2 weeks. If it were a smokin' hot deal at current asking, it would've already gone under contract in this particular market...at least in my opinion!

I know some of you are very experienced and great negotiators, so I'm hoping for some advice as to what's the best approach on this one. I can provide more details if you need 'em. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 10:47 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Do you trust your agent to work on your behalf? If no.... quit using her!

If yes, let her call and present the offer. Particularly if you are asking for concessions, let her explain and give them context. It will help the listing agent present your offer to the seller. If there are deal breakers in it that are within your power to change... she can find that out now, before you send it over. No real reason why not.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-11-2021 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 11:08 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
In my last house purchase back in July of this year in a very hot market our agent called the seller’s agent with our offer to see if it was “solid”. They said it was, so we went forward with it.

Got the house for $1,000 over the next highest offer. It pays to round up!

RM

Old 09-12-2021, 05:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

If yes, let her call and present the offer. Particularly if you are asking for concessions, let her explain and give them context. It will help the listing agent present your offer to the seller. If there are deal breakers in it that are within your power to change... she can find that out now, before you send it over. No real reason why not.
This. The sometimes chatty comradery I share with long-time agents in my market can be the difference in putting a deal together or it blowing up if one or both the principles have a confrontational demeanor, which can happen to the meekest of people during the stressful process of buying and selling a property. Let em chat and keep your eye on the prize.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:03 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
When selling a house I am going to take the very best offer with the least list of concessions. I don’t think it’s a big deal what your realtor is doing.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:

Yes, we do trust her. Thanks for reminding me why we selected this particular realtor in the first place: she's experienced, well-known and liked in the area, has lots of great reviews, and she has done a very good job for us so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
This. The sometimes chatty comradery I share with long-time agents in my market can be the difference in putting a deal together or it blowing up if one or both the principles have a confrontational demeanor, which can happen to the meekest of people during the stressful process of buying and selling a property. Let em chat and keep your eye on the prize.
Yep, I was kinda panicking, I think, when I posted.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:26 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Remember none of the agents get paid until there is a sale. Does this make for collusion?

Old 09-12-2021, 05:04 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Remember none of the agents get paid until there is a sale. Does this make for collusion?
Remember all of the agents are working for people who want there to be a sale.

I've heard a lot of badmouthing of the commission system, but never been convinced anyone would be better served by agents who are hourly.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:23 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Quote:
Remember all of the agents are working for people who want there to be a sale.

I've heard a lot of badmouthing of the commission system, but never been convinced anyone would be better served by agents who are hourly.

And.....
People often fire their agents when there is No Sale.
I never heard of a seller complaining, "I hired that guy to sell my house, and, dang, he took me seriously and actually sold it! The jerk!"

Or, "I hired that guy to help me buy a house, and, dang, he took me seriously and actually helped me buy one! The jerk!"

Old 09-12-2021, 08:26 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:

Only if your agent is also representing someone else. As long as their only skin in the game is if you 'win' the deal where is the collusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate