Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 02:28 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie White View Post
That being said, I ask again, how do private landlords do this for a living? Seems like you'd have to own at least 20 houses to make a high middle class salary. And if they have so much money that they can buy 20 houses, then why should they bother with it?

Do they have such good credit that they can take out mortgage loan after mortgage loan, in which they'd need to own a lot more than 20 houses to make this work?

What exactly am I missing here?
Nothing, except that they didn't pour a cup of coffee one morning, look at their 7 figure bank balance, and decide to start buying rental properties.

The ones I know started with one property, while working full time at something else. Then they found a second, then a third.

Almost all of them looked for deals in one way or another. One looks for rougher condition properties she thinks she can get habitable for reasonable money, or alternatively "Houses that people want to rent but don't want to buy." The latter usually means a location in a desirable part of town on an undesirable lot or with an undesirable floor plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No one is supported by the rental income from one unit. It is a supplemental part time job. That's right, a job. It is not money for doing nothing.
^^That's the key. People use the term "Investing in rental property" and they equate it to investing in a mutual fund. It bears very little resemblance. It's a lot more like "Buying a business."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 02:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I didn't realize OP was hoping to make "a living" at it; I thought he/she was merely asking if you can make money.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:47 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
What did you do with the profit?

Unless I am mistaken, most will use 1031 Exchange to avoid paying taxes. But that also means the profit you make can only be invest in a like-kind exchanges.
Normally we would have done a 1031, but we closed early in the pandemic and weren't sure what was going to happen or whether we could find a suitable exchange property in time. The stock market had started moving up (VTI was back around 140 from a low of around 115), so we decided to skip the 1031 and invest in the stock market. We paid our taxes out of a line of credit (under 2% interest rate) in order to keep the funds invested, and it ended up working out pretty well.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:12 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
Borrow against the equity to buy more rentals. If the numbers crunch out the bank will loan the money. As they increase in value borrow against that and grow the base.

Soon you'll have several properties that're mostly financed with OPM and then just keep scaling.

This does take a high level of ambition but a million people have done this to build wealth.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
This does take a high level of ambition....
And an even higher level of tolerance for the worst in humanity.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:23 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The OP asked how can professional landlords make any money?
He said private landlords, not professional. Semantics I guess.

Either way, I don’t want to make a big deal. We can move on. Good luck to your sir.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:09 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And an even higher level of tolerance for the worst in humanity.
why??

Old 09-27-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
why??
Have you been a landlord?

Old 09-27-2021, 08:57 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Have you been a landlord?
LOL only a real landlord knows about tolerance for the worst in humanity.

I've had a tenant that left the place full of dog poop and pee. Like a solid layer of dog poop on the floor in their own bedroom with an outline of where the mattress was. At first, I thought they just left the place like that to "stick it up to the man". But my plumber swore up and down that the couple times he went there to fix clogs it was like that. They literally lived in that condition.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
You make more money AirBnB than renting out a regularly to tenants. I average about $2-3k/month in the summer months using my property for Aibnb. I only took in $1200 this month but in the winter or holidays I would probably get $3-4k depending on what festivities around NYC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Borrow against the equity to buy more rentals. If the numbers crunch out the bank will loan the money. As they increase in value borrow against that and grow the base.

Soon you'll have several properties that're mostly financed with OPM and then just keep scaling.

This does take a high level of ambition but a million people have done this to build wealth.
This strategy only works if you didn't over leverage on an expensive property that doesn't rent enough to pay off the expenses. A lot of people are getting screwed in big cities where the tenants are becoming squatters. Not paying any rent, owing thousands in back rent and evictions are being stalled by liberal mayors and governors. There will be a lot of battles going on when the evictions starts again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate