Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 03:09 PM

204 posts, read 128,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
My mom got mad at me for calling the company. She said to stay out of it but I was just trying to protect her. Red flags went up for me when she said she had to pay in cash. I thought WTH and that's why I started this thread.

So I called the company and they told me a check was fine. I told mom but she was adamant that he wanted cash and she was fine with it and had already gone to the bank and got the cash so that was how she was going to pay.

I kept saying I had her best interest at heart and by writing a check you have a way of proving payment. You have a canceled check. Why in the world would it matter to him if you paid with cash or check? Why would he offer a 200.00 discount if she paid cash? Can't he just go take the check and get cash from the bank? Oh well, I guess she will always have the receipt. I just thought it odd and I did see red flags pop up but maybe all is well.

Anyway, she is paying him cash....nothing I can do. If something goes wrong, I tried.
For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. It seems that we can't win as our parents get older... if we're involved or 'in their business', we're told to stay out of it, and if we're not, they'll tell their friends who will then say that we're lousy children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 03:17 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
Quote:
My mom got mad at me for calling the company. She said to stay out of it but I was just trying to protect her. Red flags went up for me when she said she had to pay in cash. I thought WTH and that's why I started this thread.

So I called the company and they told me a check was fine. I told mom but she was adamant that he wanted cash and she was fine with it and had already gone to the bank and got the cash so that was how she was going to pay.

I kept saying I had her best interest at heart and by writing a check you have a way of proving payment. You have a canceled check. Why in the world would it matter to him if you paid with cash or check? Why would he offer a 200.00 discount if she paid cash? Can't he just go take the check and get cash from the bank? Oh well, I guess she will always have the receipt. I just thought it odd and I did see red flags pop up but maybe all is well.

Anyway, she is paying him cash....nothing I can do. If something goes wrong, I tried.

I think the problem is your mothers interpretation of 'cash' The business says it is okay with a check. They just don't want to absorb the percentage the credit card folks take out of the payment. Like someone else said as long as she gets a receipt.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
I can see the difference in a credit card or cash but a check is as good as cash.

It's not as good as cash if you are someone who is not going to report the income to the IRS.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Ha! My husband got a $1000 discount on his deductible for his hip replacement for paying it all upfront instead of financing. I said yes and wrote a check for $4000 instead of $5000.

Cash is king.

However, the country is in a labor shortage. Don't pay the remainder until the job is done to your satisfaction.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:52 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It's not as good as cash if you are someone who is not going to report the income to the IRS.
Gypsies are in the driveway paving biz. We had a neighbor who paid over 5 grand for an asphalt driveway and they took it and ran after only doing a crummy job on half of it.

Look out! I see red flags about this.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:59 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Just a thought. Maybe they pay laborers daily in cash and their schedule keeps the crew boss from getting to a bank to cash your check. Guess its moot...the office said a check was fine.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 PM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Cash = no record for the tax collector and cash to pay the workers (possibly illegal) under the table. No taxes, no social security payments, no payroll tax, no record keeping.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:25 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Your mom is so fortunate to have you looking out for her even if she doesn't acknowledge it.

We recently had a $10,000 paver job done consisting of replacing a driveway and adding a lanai in the front of the house. The paving company didn't even require a deposit. No payment needed until the job was completed. He had done many jobs in the area and he gave us addresses of former customers so we could see his work. I know it's unusual to have a job of this sort done without any complaints but his company's track record eased my mind.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:06 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Total for the job is 6000. They want 500 up front in cash. Why woudn't they accept a check? That seems kind of fishy to me but maybe it's the norm. Work doesn't start for over a week. Wouldn't that give them time to make sure the check is paid out?

What exactly should we expect in return after paying the 500 in cash? Receipt is good enough? Thanks.
The Contractor's Licensing Board in California suggests not paying cash up front. (All the work I have had done here has been full payment at end of job, no down payment at all.)

Here's their advice: https://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/Hi...ould_Know.aspx

Even if you are not in California, the advice should be useful.

Old 09-30-2021, 04:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Total for the job is 6000. They want 500 up front in cash. Why woudn't they accept a check? That seems kind of fishy to me but maybe it's the norm. Work doesn't start for over a week. Wouldn't that give them time to make sure the check is paid out?

What exactly should we expect in return after paying the 500 in cash? Receipt is good enough? Thanks.
I would insist on credit card, not cash or checks. That gives you sixty days to dispute charge if they pull a "no-show" or the work quality, if they do come, is deficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate