Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 11:39 AM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

They have sold 7000 of their homes to an Institutional Investor. Not sure who but it will be interesting to see what happens if they hold, lease or put on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 11:49 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They have sold 7000 of their homes to an Institutional Investor. Not sure who but it will be interesting to see what happens if they hold, lease or put on the market.
The inevitable end of this fiasco.

If the houses are not sold, Zillow overpaid to take a bunch of houses out of the owner-occupant market.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:13 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The inevitable end of this fiasco.

If the houses are not sold, Zillow overpaid to take a bunch of houses out of the owner-occupant market.
The real end should be the loss of jobs at the very top along with elimination of any Bonus money.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:44 PM

204 posts, read 128,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The real end should be the loss of jobs at the very top along with elimination of any Bonus money.
We know that won't happen.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:01 PM

9,896 posts, read 4,659,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I was just perusing their homes for sale. It’s really almost mind blowing seeing as how they sometimes paid $50k over asking price a few months ago and now Zillow has lowered said asking prices either at or below what they paid. I mean, this smells as fishy as the Atlantic Ocean.
I guess they can take off the loss on taxes. In hot neighborhoods compared to years or decades ago they did help walk up the prices.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:32 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I guess they can take off the loss on taxes. In hot neighborhoods compared to years or decades ago they did help walk up the prices.

When you are hemorrhaging money, taking losses for tax purposes is just digging the hole deeper.

They have an existential mess on their hands.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:17 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Corporations that are losing money don't pay taxes. Heck, in America, numerous corporations that are making billions and billions of dollars in profits don't pay taxes either.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:13 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Apparently Zillow and other i-buyer firms collectively only hold about 1.0 percent of the total home inventory nationally. Granted in some markets that ratio is higher (3 to 6 percent). Still, not a very large amount overall.

The the main drivers of the strong residential market: low interest rates, low inventory, people seeking more space while working from home and a demographic spike (a large cohort of millennials entering peak home-buying years).

Old 11-07-2021, 01:30 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Default Pieces are filling in the blanks

DS worked for Zillow 2013-2019, just short of 6 years. One day in early Feb 2019, he was called into an office and fired, without cause and no reason given. He was looking for another position within Zillow and was accepted by other groups he had worked with on-loan capacity. He's a researcher and got loaned out a lot. In the last 6 months or so, he got a new direct supervisor and new group manager. DS was on the hiring committee for both. He was denied transfer. I kinda suspected that he was canned because his new managers came from the same company and kinda jealous of his salary and stock options accumulated over the 5 years. DS made a few trips to AZ to help out the new group, and offer OfferPad and OpenDoor data services.
Now I think his demise at Zillow came about in the Rascoff-Barton face off. He was just part of the fallout in the battle.
Zillow's Seattle office have a stupendous view, but maybe inauspicious (used to be the Washington Mutual Building). DS had desks on multiple floors and with a view of Mt Rainier and another of the Sound.

DS commented to me that 2019 was his biggest year in Income, to date: Severance Pay. Unemployment compensation (it took him a full 6 months before he found something and at reduced pay), and Airbnb income. He stayed at our place in Redmond or did more camping to free up his Seattle townhouse.

Just an interesting story.
(5 years in a technology job, is a long time.)

Old 11-07-2021, 01:37 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
I asked DS how can Zillow afford buying and flipping houses?
"There is some big banks/money."

I think Barton/Zillow got called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate