Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 AM

6 posts, read 16,686 times

Advertisements

Our house was only for sale for three weeks in April of 2007. It began with a well-attended open house. Two couples came through twice, including the buyers, who made the offer the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 AM

23,840 posts, read 33,443,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Well, in the end, I took the advice that asked me "how bad do you want to sell it?" I'm in a position where I really HAVE to sell and be free to move very soon, so I gritted my teeth and "beared it", I stayed sweet as honey when the perspective buyer wanted "just one more look", and got an offer from her on it today. Only trouble is, we will not settle for about three weeks - wonder how many times she'll want to just "drop in" between now an then. On the last house I sold, the buyer wanted to come in BEFORE our scheduled closing and install her new blinds and window treatments. I gently said "no" on that one. She was just moving from across town, I was getting ready to move across the country. I told her I needed my space to prepare for my big move, she was understanding and it worked out okay.
Well congrats!
Had I gotten here earlier, I would have said to just deal with it. This market is the pits, I wouldn't do anything that might tick off the potential buyer because there is always another house for them to possibly purchase. Yes, some are tire kickers but some aren't, they are smart shoppers. I've read posts where buyers cross houses off of their list due to something the seller did/said & I've done it myself. 2 sellers couldn't let me in so I moved on.

If you've read some of my posts, you know we were on the market for 10 long months, then a 2 month close. We closed almost a year to the day that we listed.

We were also buyers, I didn't need to see any (used) houses twice; we then changed our plan by moving farther south, looking at new or slightly used houses like Dogmom's. We walked every model until we found a community we liked. We then walked their models multiple times because we were unsure if we wanted the house we fell in love with or if we wanted to pick a lot and build a different model that they did not have a model for.

We decided to go with a different one, she wrote everything up then a few days later told us there was one we could walk but it only had sheet rock, hubby hated it. We then wrote an offer on another (quick delivery) but went home and decided against the lot. We came back and wrote an offer in the one we're in now.

We not only walked it ourselves but brought down my daughter & her friend, my step son, our old neighbor who was here on vacation and wanted to see it, then my son at one point. I'd have to say we walked the model maybe 25 times before ours was ready.

Had we bought a used house, we would have tried to get all of the kids together at once to see it before making an offer and wouldn't have shown the old neighbor but would have driven by. We might have asked to see it a total of 2 to 4 times.

1st time is me
2nd time, myself & hubby
3rd myself & hubby again to check measurements to make sure the house would work for our stuff.
4th would be with kids (the ones that actually live with us) if they were interested.

There is a lot of inventory which is why I went alone. I've walked about 50 used houses, hubby & I walked probably more then that. We're not just going to throw our money at any house, it has to work for us. If we are spending $250K to $375K, we're going to be darned sure the house works for us.

As a seller, when we were told we had a 2nd showing we didn't go as nuts as we did the 1st time; I think I was building a computer at the time and left it out.

I know the frustration as a seller, I know how much work is involved with getting a house ready, which is a lot on someone like me who is disabled.

Good luck, may you have a smooth experience and may your inspection go well.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,586,613 times
Congrats on your offer!

Your buyer sounds like a lady that wanted to buy our very first house when we sold it in 2001. She brought a "friend" over that lived on the same street as us. All of the homes on our street had the near exact same floor plan (2BR/2 BA patio homes).
I remember being offended by his comments (he was her "friend" and one of our neighbors-although we never met him before that day). He commented on the price, the size of the home, blah blah blah...very negative about everything. Apparantly he wanted to get her a great deal on the house.
She called me later that evening with such a low offer (well not low by today's standards). I told her we couldn't accept that offer and she got upset. She called back an hour later, crying, wondering why we wouldn't take her offer. OH, AND she had to sell her house first! No thanks.

We got two other offers the very next day....

That lady was a nutjob...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate