Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 10:33 AM

1,579 posts, read 950,918 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any of you could share advice concerning the agent I was considering hiring. Or maybe just share some tips on hiring a good sellers agent in general?

I've been watching home sales in my neighborhood and who is selling the houses. I have a pretty good idea of who I plan to hire (a woman who seems to specialize in my neighborhood since she lives here), but after talking to a neighbor on my street who just sold his house though her, I have a few doubts now and might start looking around again. I'll keep her on my short list, but I want to think some more.

It was pure luck that I was able to talk to the neighbor on my street who just sold his house. It seems like most sellers move and then put their house on the market so they are gone even before the sign is in the yard. But he's still in his house and I happened to see him outside when I was getting my mail so I stopped to ask him how he's been and also talked to him about his home sale and what he thought of the agent (since his agent is the same one I am considering hiring).

The neighbor said he wasn't very happy with her as an agent. His reasons were:

1) She argued with him over the price of the house. She wanted to list it higher than he did and he gave in. Then he ended up having to do a reduction. She had him list his end unit townhouse for $639K and it ended up selling for $624K. It took about two weeks to sell. In contrast, an interior unit in the same block of houses as his, two doors down from him that was on sale during the same time, sold in a weekend. It was listed at $579K and sold for $607K.

2) She told him to empty out his house as much as possible (advice she's given me and I've started doing... my house now echos a little except the upstairs which is carpeted). Anyway, the other house on the block that sold for $607K was nicely staged where his had a few empty rooms. He's convinced now that his house should have been staged because an end unit should command more than a three percent premium. Again, both houses were about the same shape, same upgrades as far as I can tell. I do think the interior unit had a better floor plan than his though and is about 400sq feet larger so there is that.

3) He's complaining the the agent has not communicated with him at all since the house went under contract. He admitted there isn't much to talk about until they go to closing, but he thinks her customer service is lacking.

Anyway, he did sell his house in two weeks and nearly at asking, so I kind of take his critique with a grain of salt. But I think there may be merit to what he's saying--especially since it's so easy to compare his house to the one that was two doors down that went on the market at the same time.

I have noticed that the houses this agent sells are the only ones that seem to come down in price, but it's not like the final sale price is that much cheaper when they sell. Her houses end up selling as the same price as everything else. But I wonder if it's not a better strategy to list lower and lure people in and let them bid it up a little if it's under priced.

And I am wondering about staging too. My house is so empty now. I moved all the furniture I am keeping already and most of the personal stuff too like pictures, heirlooms, etc. I moved it out so I can better clean the place and keep it clean, put up fresh paint, deep clean floors, etc. Maybe it would be better for me to get an agent who knows about and does staging after the cleanup is finished.

Last thing is something that is bothering me a lot right now, more than the other two things since they are kind of subjective. I have a neighbor interested in buying my house (it changed from her daughter to her now). I asked the agent if she could give me a break on commission if this lady buys the house and I haven't gotten an answer yet. To be fair, I haven't signed any papers yet and she's not contracted as my agent, but you'd think this would be an easy question to answer. Especially if she wants me as a client. It's concerning that I haven't heard from her. I know she's seen my message because it's marked "read."

So what do you think? Are these concerns legit or am I over thinking (I can and do over think a lot... sometimes it's a blessing and is very beneficial but it can also be a curse when it drags things to a near halt). I am three months away from hiring a seller's agent... any "in general" tips out there?

As always, thanks in advance! I wish I could bake you all cookies, you've all been so helpful with all my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 10:46 AM

13,079 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Our agent (4 previous transactions) priced our condo rental at $595. Sold for $580. Homes if priced right in Seattle area will go under contract within a week easily. Anything longer, is a mispricing but that can be due to a lot of factors.
JMO, every Market is unique. A REagent who has a good sales record, is pretty good at their job.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:47 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
When I go to buy a home I prefer it empty. When selling I also leave the home empty I’dont stage it. My two homes that just sold were over the asking price. No one complained that there was no staging in fact most were pleased because with cash offers it was a quick close, the homes were in excellent immaculate condition. I think clean upgraded sells itself.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:22 AM

1,492 posts, read 797,129 times
Sounds to me like that agent did a really good job.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
When I go to buy a home I prefer it empty. When selling I also leave the home empty I’dont stage it. My two homes that just sold were over the asking price. No one complained that there was no staging in fact most were pleased because with cash offers it was a quick close, the homes were in excellent immaculate condition. I think clean upgraded sells itself.

I have to admit, I prefer empty too. I want to see all the floors and walls, etc. You can't see everything if the room is full of stuff (and I am buying the house, not the stuff). But I wondered if it was one of those things where my personal preference is against the norm.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:37 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
That agent might be one of the newer types who thinks she is entitled to earn a large commission with very little work. After all it’s her neighborhood. Talk with a couple other experienced agents who will actually perform an analysis related to your asking price. You have not committed to this agent in any way. And negotiate a lower commission if you bring the buyer before any open house or advertising. Maybe 3% instead of 5%.

I made a big mistake using the neighbors listing agent who rushed the purchase contract and then disappeared communications wise. I even had to remind her of some real estate commission rules so she didn’t run afoul. You can do better.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:51 AM

640 posts, read 450,572 times
OP, a lot depends on the RE climate in your area now, not few months ago. If the homes are flying off the self, don't worry about staging. Also, staging is better suited for larger properties, not condos. The idea is that most people have a difficulty visualizing where the furniture goes, except for small condos, where it's evident. I have to admit that even I prefer seeing well-staged properties that beckon, rather than empty shells where you can see every carpet stain, etc.

As for setting a listing price, that's a classic dilemma. Some argue that setting it higher has a chance to net more $$, and a "discount" would make bargain-hunters happy. Others say that setting a price low would likely invite a bidding war and result in a higher selling price.

I'm not sure why you are concerned about your neighbors' condos. An interior condo that has 400 more S.F. should be about the same or even more expensive than that exterior unit, I'd think.

Your best bet is to talk to more RE agents and see what listing price they propose. BTW, you can always negotiate a lower commission -- or no commission at all -- if the house sells to a particular list of people.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Sounds to me like that agent did a really good job.
Thanks. Can I ask why you think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That agent might be one of the newer types who thinks she is entitled to earn a large commission with very little work. After all it’s her neighborhood. Talk with a couple other experienced agents who will actually perform an analysis related to your asking price. You have not committed to this agent in any way. And negotiate a lower commission if you bring the buyer before any open house or advertising. Maybe 3% instead of 5%.

I made a big mistake using the neighbors listing agent who rushed the purchase contract and then disappeared communications wise. I even had to remind her of some real estate commission rules so she didn’t run afoul. You can do better.
Thanks! No, I haven't committed to her. I have been tracking other agents who have sold in my neighborhood (I've mainly been looking at agents who sell the townhouses like mine, not the ones selling the SFHs or the condo part of the neighborhood). So I have a list of agents I can talk to. Find out what they all have to offer. I was just originally really interested in her since I figured she had a vested interest in the neighborhood and could better sell here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
OP, a lot depends on the RE climate in your area now, not few months ago. If the homes are flying off the self, don't worry about staging. Also, staging is better suited for larger properties, not condos. The idea is that most people have a difficulty visualizing where the furniture goes, except for small condos, where it's evident. I have to admit that even I prefer seeing well-staged properties that beckon, rather than empty shells where you can see every carpet stain, etc.

As for setting a listing price, that's a classic dilemma. Some argue that setting it higher has a chance to net more $$, and a "discount" would make bargain-hunters happy. Others say that setting a price low would likely invite a bidding war and result in a higher selling price.

I'm not sure why you are concerned about your neighbors' condos. An interior condo that has 400 more S.F. should be about the same or even more expensive than that exterior unit, I'd think.

Your best bet is to talk to more RE agents and see what listing price they propose. BTW, you can always negotiate a lower commission -- or no commission at all -- if the house sells to a particular list of people.
Sorry if I was unclear, I don’t live in a condo, I live in a townhouse (some people call them rowhomes). It’s a 2046 sq ft, 3 bedroom house. There are a lot of ways to arrange furniture (except for the smallest bedroom which pretty much only has one place for a bed). I’m not sure if that changes the what you said about the value of staging or not though. It’s still not a huge SFH after all and I think that's what you are referring to.

I’m interested in my neighbor’s houses because they are literally on my street. I can see them from the kitchen window. And they are similar to mine in that they have driveways and garages (and therefore extra parking). Mostly I am interested in the interior unit that sold since mine is an interior unit as well (except my house is a bigger floor plan and has more square footage but I don't have a new kitchen like the one that sold had). I am interested in the end unit since it was sold by the agent I am thinking of hiring. These house also only just sold this week (the end unit goes to closing next week).

Thanks for the tip about talking to more agents. You are right that I need to do that (at least more seriously than I was earlier this fall and summer when I was just talking to agents at open houses in my neighborhood). I haven’t talked to anyone yet on what to price my home at since it’s always seemed like a long way out until I sell, but April will be here before you know it. Is now the time to start thinking price? I kind of am, I was thinking of listing at $565K but that $607K sale has me wondering. Prices have gone up so much, I kid you not this time last year I was thinking $515K. But nothing has sold for less than $555K since March 2021. Crazy, isn't it?

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 01-07-2022 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-07-2022, 04:21 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
I stage all of my listings so I'd talk to the agent that sold the middle unit, personally.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post

Last thing is something that is bothering me a lot right now, more than the other two things since they are kind of subjective. I have a neighbor interested in buying my house (it changed from her daughter to her now). I asked the agent if she could give me a break on commission if this lady buys the house and I haven't gotten an answer yet. To be fair, I haven't signed any papers yet and she's not contracted as my agent, but you'd think this would be an easy question to answer. Especially if she wants me as a client. It's concerning that I haven't heard from her. I know she's seen my message because it's marked "read."
Why on earth would you pay any commission to an agent if you have someone ready to buy your house?

Set a fair price based on what comps are and sell the darn place. Get an attorney and find out what paperwork you need to fill out in your state and take it to the closing with the attorney.

Voila! Huge commission saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate