Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2022, 04:13 PM

50 posts, read 37,606 times

Advertisements

I had contacted a listing agent about buying his listing. I don't have a buyer's agent, that is a very remote rural area I'm not familiar with, with few agents, long driving distances, etc. I had someone from his office show me the house, and I liked it. The guy who showed me the house told me to continue working with the listing agent.

I texted that listing agent that I'm interested and want to talk on the phone about some questions. Soon I noticed, however, that something online wasn't matching the info he gave me. I asked him if there's a reason for it, may be there was address discrepancy (common in that area, many places have 2 addresses) - he said there can't/shouldn't be any discrepancy, didn't give any explanation of it but basically was saying I should trust what he says. - I only mentioned what I was seeing online and said I was going to call that company, when they open after the weekend, to find out why the info is different online.

I was very polite all the time. In response I got very rude angry message, suddenly accusing me of calling him a liar and dishonest, basically, etc, etc - which I never did or implied. Errors and discrepancies are common things. I actually been already in that kind of situation, twice, where I made a very long drive to see a house based on similar info given by realtor, only to later find out it was not true. I responded that he shouldn't accuse me of such things, pretty serious stuff, and shouldn't put words in my mouth, also I mentioned that I don't want to be treated like a 2nd class person (I'm a minority for that insular rural community).
Eventually he texted me back with sort of an apology, basically, with very long emotional message.
I'm nervous about this house, the area itself now too (reputation for one of the most insular in the country) and that agent now. I don't think I'd be welcomed there.

Sounds like dealing with a listing agents directly/dual agency is a very bad idea.
I can't imagine buyer's agent going off on me like that, I dealt with a few buyers agents in my life.

What's the good/proper way to respond? Not respond at all or say something polite, like it was a misunderstanding?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 04:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
You responded perfectly and got your apology.

Let it go.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:53 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Honestly, it is hard to say unless you provide more information as to actual potential discrepancy and exactly what you and the broker said to each other. And, I understand if you don't want to provide those details, but opining on a response strategy isn't of value with only a vague summary of one side of the story.

That being said, you said you are now wary of this particular property and the area. So, if this is now not the property for you, simply respond that you are no longer interested and move on with your search.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You responded perfectly and got your apology.

Let it go.
So just not respond at all now, not a word?

Old 02-20-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Honestly, it is hard to say unless you provide more information as to actual potential discrepancy and exactly what you and the broker said to each other. And, I understand if you don't want to provide those details, but opining on a response strategy isn't of value with only a vague summary of one side of the story.

That being said, you said you are now wary of this particular property and the area. So, if this is now not the property for you, simply respond that you are no longer interested and move on with your search.

I don't want to give more detail as it can make it more identifiable. Basically, it's about key info that could render house useless for me.
I'm not born in the US and just trying to understand the business communication etiquette here. To respond with something polite and generic or not respond at all.

I'm wary of the property in part because of how emotional the agent was and the subject of honesty/dishonesty constantly being brought up, I never dealt with that before but yes I know that the area is very insular, newcomers are rare, crime is high (drugs) and have a feeling that the intensity of agent's response might have to do with me being an outsider or even being a minority. Which makes me wonder what kind of community is that and how they might treat me down the road. So yes, I became nervous about the area, especially since I'm a woman living alone, don't know a soul there, etc. I moved to unfamiliar rural area once before (though less remote and much less insular) but had a good agent (dual agent too) who was very welcoming and nice to me, helped me some after purchase too and I felt welcomed, now I think he's the one who defined that.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
"Thank you for your time. I am no longer interested in the property."

Short, to the point, and polite.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:23 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Hi OP.... are you still interested in the property? Without knowing more details, we really can't know if the issues are material for you or not. If you are still interested, I'd work it out with that agent or find yourself another one. Just know if you bring another agent in at this point there may be an issue over commission. That's OK... You don't have to worry about that, let your buyer agent deal with it and smooth it over. <-- best advice.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
"Thank you for your time. I am no longer interested in the property."

Short, to the point, and polite.

Makes sense. I might say I had something come up and will have to focus my search on another area. Just trying to be as polite as possible not sounding like I do not accept the apology (I do accept it, just no longer comfortable with the whole situation, got that 6th sense now telling me to stay out)

Old 02-20-2022, 05:37 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
You definitely need a representative for all such transactions. You are uncertain of the culture, you worry that people might “categorize” you, and there will be an extra legal hurdle or two when you do the closing paperwork. If you like this property ask the listing agent if he would like you to have a separate agent. Hopefully he’ll say yes because otherwise he might not work out being a dual agent. If you get a buyer agent make sure it’s from another firm.

Last edited by luv4horses; 02-20-2022 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2022, 10:57 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlelake View Post
I might say I had something come up and will have to focus my search on another area. Just trying to be as polite as possible not sounding like I do not accept the apology (I do accept it, just no longer comfortable with the whole situation, got that 6th sense now telling me to stay out)
Don't lower yourself to the agent's level. Don't make up a story. Just as "EM" stated above, "No longer interested."
You don't want to deal with that unprofessional agent, anyway. They showed their true colors, earlier.

Listen to your "6th sense." (In motorcycling, we call this, the "Spidey Sense.")

It IS powerful. Something to be respected.

If this property just HAS to be yours, then get another representative. Sorry to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate