Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 11:21 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
There have been periods of time with both rising rates and prices. It’s not unprecedented. Will it happen now? We’ll see. One thing that remains true is inventory is very low, especially for this time of year.
Yeah, and I understand that with rising rates, that could also prevent people from listing that were on the fence, continuing to keep inventory low.

But let's be honest, with prices rising ~20%+ in a year in some places, even if there is a ~5-10% drop, that's basically nothing, and should really only have an impact on people that bought in the last few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 11:24 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You nailed it. Yup. Quite a few of them, are doing just this. 1-2 million in dead Presidents. It's how drug dealers launder money. (Buy for cash, then sell.) Suddenly, it becomes "legal tender." Some even own "legit" operations, such as cannabis stores...

Since the DEA still classifies it as a Tier1 drug, no banks can knowingly touch these transactions. So, there's a HUGE underground market.
Huh. Definitely not my area of expertise but when I bought real estate for cash, I had to show where the money came from. I have no doubts there are ways around this, but my bank asked questions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
57% of the closed deals in my market in the last 30 days were cash.
That doesn't surprise me, but higher rates will hurt younger potential buyers that aren't as wealthy who can't pay cash...

Old 03-28-2022, 09:01 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I would imagine that a significant number of those “cash” deals are really just equity pulled (borrowed) from another property.
Correct, most of the time.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:58 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah, and I understand that with rising rates, that could also prevent people from listing that were on the fence, continuing to keep inventory low.

But let's be honest, with prices rising ~20%+ in a year in some places, even if there is a ~5-10% drop, that's basically nothing, and should really only have an impact on people that bought in the last few months.

It shouldn’t even impact those who bought recently as long as they can continue to afford it.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:59 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
57% of the closed deals in my market in the last 30 days were cash.
Cash buyers still had to make the best offer which meant competing with those making offers with really low interest rates. That competition will be less with higher interest rates.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Cash buyers still had to make the best offer which meant competing with those making offers with really low interest rates. That competition will be less with higher interest rates.
One home purchase I made was slightly lower than another offer. But mine was cash, and theirs was not. They took my offer.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:11 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Huh. Definitely not my area of expertise but when I bought real estate for cash, I had to show where the money came from. I have no doubts there are ways around this, but my bank asked questions.
If you're paying cash, in what part of the process did the bank ask questions?

Old 03-28-2022, 08:41 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Who said a bank was involved? Or maybe it was an unsecured line of credit.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
IIRC it was during the transfer to escrow. So it may have been then. I remember being asked to provide a money trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate