Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineL View Post
I am movingto A. Be closer to family and friends and B. For a better job. My house is on the market for the second time as I took it off the market for the winter and I am going to leave and stay with a friend and leave the house empty while it is on the market. So far 3 showings in 3 weeks. Not great but my house is very old (1796) and not for everyone although I have 22 acres with gorgeous views and everything has been updated.
OH MY GOODNESS!! 1796!! How cool is that?!?? We nearly bought a home that was built in 1820 in upstate NY about ten years ago but the roof was falling in. Had we had a bit more money to spend so we could have done extensive repairs,we would have gone through with it. It was an old farmhouse, 5 fireplaces (one in the kitchen, my favorite!), screen doors to a porch that went all the way around the house and it was on 6 acres. We've had seven houses since we looked at that one. We are moving to a spring chicken--an 80 year old house!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
We sold our NY home because we are moving to Hawaii, and don't want to be 'long distance' landlords. Also, it will be helpful to have the extra cash, moving into an uncertain situation. Had we not sold, I guess we would've rented it out, but I'm SO glad we don't have to.

My mom is selling for the same reason (moving far away). If her house doesn't sell she'll rent it out for a year and keep trying, I guess. I really hope that doesn't happen! (She had a couple take a second look yesterday, stayed for an houre, cross your fingers!!) She will need the cash eventually to live on.

We didn't HAVE to move but just decided we want to. Aside from the real estate market, this is a good time for us to do it.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
We are selling because of good job offers and better location to raise kids. First offer and we took it, closing in a few weeks.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM

150 posts, read 694,177 times
We're selling b/c we can take our jobs with us, we want our kids to attend public schools (which is not an option here), and, after 6 years, island life has become suffocating.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
We're selling b/c we can take our jobs with us, we want our kids to attend public schools (which is not an option here), and, after 6 years, island life has become suffocating.
We originally planned to retire to HI but after staying for a few months as a trial, found we had island fever, plus too far from family. What island are you living on?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
I moved to get away from my awful neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I wonder why those of you who are selling or plan to,are doing so.
We sold last yr. because we thought we wanted to leave the
area,but,turned out we decided to stay. So, now we are ugrading to our final and nicer home. What were or are your reasons?
Enquiring minds want to know!
Ps. We purchased a brand new home,moving in July!

Greenchili

Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM

150 posts, read 694,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We originally planned to retire to HI but after staying for a few months as a trial, found we had island fever, plus too far from family. What island are you living on?
Not nearly as exciting as HI ... we're on the island of Galveston (in TX.) It's a barrier island ... we can get onto the mainland easily by ferry or Causeway. It is not the isolation factor that bugs me as much as the small middle class and running into the same people EVERYWHERE. My parents live full time in the Bahamas. THEY should have island fever. But the lifestyle agrees w/them. THey can easily go 6 months without leaving (until they realize they have to leave so they can get their passport stamped.) I don't think they are too lonely for family, because there is always some friend or relative planning a vacation centered around staying in their house ... for at least a week, usually 2 weeks. By the time they recover, the next relative arrives.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
We sold last year to get away from my in laws...moved across town.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
We've sold our California desert house because we want to take advantage of better paying job opportunities and more affordable housing prices closer to the California coast.

We figured if we didn't do it now, prices would start to go back up again. And, as previously mentioned, we didn't want to be long distance landlords. Been there, done that ... too much hassle.

Last edited by sheri257; 05-28-2008 at 03:14 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 AM

188 posts, read 662,895 times
We sold California house because hubby wanted to get acreage in upstate NY. So we go from postage stamp lot with no flat areas to 26 acres of forest for about the same price. YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate