Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,474,501 times

Advertisements

I forgot this story.

I remember when I found the neighborhood I currently live in. Something about it said "Home". I loved it and told the realtor I wanted to see every house for sale in this development. We had several on our list for that day. We were running a little late. We knocked on the door and the older gentelman who lived there didn't answer, but then my husband heard someone calling out faintly.

Apparently the elderly gentleman had some kind of episode and was only partially conscience on the floor. My brother froze, my Mother was upset I'm sure because it reminded her of my Dad who had only died a few years prior. She kept ahold of my daughter who was young at the time.

My realtor sat with him, my husband grabbed a phone, I reminded him that here in the states you dial 911 (not 999 like in the UK) and I went to the bathroom to look at his meds to get an idea of what he suffered from so we could pass that along to the 911 operator.

Well while we were waiting, I heard this odd faint sound, I went to the kitchen to find that he had a kitten and the little kitty (a gorgeous Siamese) had been closed in a kitchen pantry.

The gentleman was fine but they were selling the house because he could no longer live on his own. It was a pretty shocking thing. It left me shakey because only a couple years before BOTH of my parents had suffered heart attacks in the same summer, my Mother recovered but my Father did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,852,345 times
I went to meet a client at a house to show him, and the it was across the street from another house that the owner had spraypainted in large black paint: DO NOT LOITER AT THIS HOUSE, THE POLICE ARE WATCHING. And there was a large group of teens hanging at the corner of that house.

I looked at my client and said, are you sure you even want to go in this house? If I am a home owner and I write on my house with spray paint, is that enough of a red flag? We left....

Shelly

Old 06-12-2008, 12:58 PM

406 posts, read 1,498,684 times
The hubby and I were considering buying a house that was in a gentrifying area, kind of on the fringes of the ghetto. We were driving around the neighborhood trying to convince ourselves that it would be Ok, and safe, and good place to live. Right around the corner from the house we were looking at, we happened upon a stately brick home with the words "DO NOT PI$$ HERE" spray-painted on the wall in hot pink. We didn't buy the house.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM

23 posts, read 49,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Surely someone out there must have found a dead person, ala psycho,
but prob an elderly person selling the house his/her self.
Well, since you ask...

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Buyer finds mummy in Spanish flat

Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM

22 posts, read 74,168 times
I couldn't get out of one open house fast enough - The house appeared ok outside but we walked in and immediately wanted to back out of this house; it reeked of mold. Reeked to the point of unable to breathe kind of reeked. My husband turned heel and walked but I couldn't do it! The owner nicely conducted the house tour while I stifled the urge to run out or at least cover my nose. Down a dim shadowy unlit hallway he opened the door to the dim MBR that had shades drawn and no lights. I stayed hovering in the doorway as he walked in pointing out the large closet etc. I tried the light switch but it didn't connect to the table lamps. As my eyes adjusted I saw that the big lump on the bed was moving and realized his wife was asleep, snoring a little. He continued the tour never making mention of her. In the walkout basement he proudly pointed out a huge hot tub that was steaming away. The humidity and smell of this unventilated space was dizzying. When I said I thought the hot tub was probably making a mold smell he appeared utterly dumbfounded saying they hadn't had any issues with mold. You could SEE the mold stuff coated on the ceiling of the basement. After leaving I realized the 30'sish guy was extremely pale and shaky, looked ill. We think that hot tub mold was making them sick!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:17 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,269,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
He walked in on an older teen boy having sex with a 10-year old girl. The single mom just laughed. Gross.
I hope CPS got a call on that incident.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:29 AM

13 posts, read 15,230 times
I was doing a walk through with a client who had rented a home. During the showing we noticed that some bees had started a hive inside the attic above the garage so we added that into the contract with some other repairs.

One of the requested repairs was to fix the drop down ladder to the attic access. It was in the middle of the garage. I pulled the ladder down only to be drenched by thousands and thousands of dead bees! UGH!

My client ended up cancelling the deal. Not because of the bees. But because it was ONLY repair item in the contract that actually got done.

And the listing agent "property manager" got into a petty argument with my client over how to and where to use a pressure cleaner.

My client walked away from a 3 year lease because he wasn't going to deal with the jerk for the next 3 years.

We ended up getting them an even better home though.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 AM

914 posts, read 1,141,804 times
The owner was showing his home to us, and I walked in one room where there was a Virgin Mary statue on the desk (there was religious Catholic stuff all over the house), but what was hilarious was that he forgot to close the closet door, and pasted to the inside of this closet door, was a huge poster of a naked woman spread eagle right in the line of sight of the poor Virgin Mary. Hilarious. He then ran to close the closet, just in time before my kids walked in there.

I also went to another home, and opened the closet, and inside a small acrylic box was the owner's Goliath bird eating tarantula. That gave my husband a heart attack (he HATES spiders). I thought it was cool, but rather interesting to hide it in the clothes closet. LOL!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,649,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Oh I didn't mean anything derogatory by that..my husband served in the army in Korea, and as far as he knew, they were the only ones he knew of that cooked like that, and that's what kimche is made of. No offense intended..But whoever they were, it did stink
Kimchi is a vegetable dish; doesn't have fish in it. Koreans don't cook with fish much - it's much more common in Vietnamese dishes.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:36 PM

914 posts, read 1,141,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Kimchi is a vegetable dish; doesn't have fish in it. Koreans don't cook with fish much - it's much more common in Vietnamese dishes.
Wrong, some kimchi is made with fish like squid or anchovies. There are many different kinds of kimchi, not just the Napa cabbage kind. Koreans eat a lot of fermented food which can have an unpleasant odor to those not accustomed to it. I'm a Korean food junkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate